Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Not sure if this came up anywhere else in the thread, but:

"Legacies use different swaybars than Imprezas and are much harder to find."

I had a 97 Legacy Outback, the rear sway bar was identical to my 00 Impreza L, other than size (17m vs 13m) and a small, very slight bend in the center, it bolted on perfect

Not sure what other year legacy's would work, but hope this helps

And that's a great write up too btw!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Not sure if this came up anywhere else in the thread, but:

"Legacies use different swaybars than Imprezas and are much harder to find."

I had a 97 Legacy Outback, the rear sway bar was identical to my 00 Impreza L, other than size (17m vs 13m) and a small, very slight bend in the center, it bolted on perfect

Not sure what other year legacy's would work, but hope this helps

And that's a great write up too btw!
Thanks.

I was reading this guy's journal with a white Legacy... like those 97ish years (2nd gens)... he used an adjustable rear sway from an Impreza and it fit decent, if not perfect. I think it was rubbing on something.

So I could be wrong :rolleyes4

The more I read about them, the closer they seem to Imprezas, lol.

·
Registered
Shoelace Express (Walking)
876 Posts
Forgot that I already subbed to this thread haha, gave me a lot of good info. Just a question: Would the stuff you'd do to the NA motors like the 2.5 , 1.8 and 2.2 work the same on a 2.0?

·
Registered
02 WRB WRX
316 Posts
so on my 99 OBS i can upgrade the rear swaybar 13 mm to a 20 without having to do anything but take the stock off and put the aftermarket one on? no different links or anything huh?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
so on my 99 OBS i can upgrade the rear swaybar 13 mm to a 20 without having to do anything but take the stock off and put the aftermarket one on? no different links or anything huh?
Correct. You just need the actual bar and the bushing that come with it. You don't need aftermarket endlinks or to change anything else.

·
Registered
02 WRB WRX
316 Posts
Correct. You just need the actual bar and the bushing that come with it. You don't need aftermarket endlinks or to change anything else.
awesome, well i just canceled my order on the 18mm and send in for a 20mm saved me almost 20 dollars and i got the better deal with a longer bar. haha thanks alot.

·
Registered
02 WRB WRX
316 Posts
you mean wider. no longer. the 20 is a worthwhile upgrade
lol thanks for the correction yeah actually just put the grounding kit in today and the last wire that connected from the one bolt to the negative battery terminal is kinda tight.. ill have to rig it or something so i dont brea the cord any one else have the same problem?

·
Where are my keys?
98 OBS, 04 XTI
1,571 Posts
lol thanks for the correction yeah actually just put the grounding kit in today and the last wire that connected from the one bolt to the negative battery terminal is kinda tight.. ill have to rig it or something so i dont brea the cord any one else have the same problem?
grounding mod - use a bolt from intake manifold, a bolt on the block, a bolt on the alternator, and i believe the other 2 go to the strut towers. (btw the strut towers are the least effective. the alternator and block are the most effective- so if you have the 2 good ones the others really shouldnt matter)

·
Where are my keys?
98 OBS, 04 XTI
1,571 Posts
oh and make sure that your sand and clean the area very well before tightening. as you can prob tell when you removed some bolts there may have been corrosion or paint, get all that off and possibly cover the ends of the grounding wires in dielectric grease to ensure best connection and corrosion protection

·
Registered
'99 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
656 Posts
I was just talking to a guy who knows more about engines than I do.

I complained that my short ram intake (for my 2.2) had gotten rid of too much low-end torque to make the car fun/easy to daily drive. He said that I would regain that and gain more power with an intake and an exhaust.

First of all, I'm not sure I really believe that. Second of all, if I had an exhaust built, I would want it quiet, and I would want it cheap. A little bit of grumble would be nice, and I don't care how loud it is at WOT, I just don't want it to get too loud on the highway (3-4k) under low load.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
For Subie engines, they just don't like aftermarket intakes, unless you get them specifically tuned for it. Hondas and many other cars respond well to short ram and cold air intakes. Stock with a drop in is good and is what I roll with. Hybrid intakes are another option too.

As far as your exhaust situation, the cheapest and 'best' way to do it is to get a good axleback or muffler you like (Prodrive, Stromung, TurboXS, etc) and have a shop build you a catback for it. The downfall of this is that you can't do it yourself for all you strict DIY people out there (myself included). However, I still went this route anyways.

·
Where are my keys?
98 OBS, 04 XTI
1,571 Posts
de-snorkus and like above with a piece of pipe connecting the 2 openings (from the maf to the torque box) is the hybrid intake i am running. sounds like it is faster, although it all it does is improve throttle responsiveness IMO, power is pretty much the same as stock, maybe a lil more power made in the higher rpms but thats about it. i also have the throttle bottle coolant bypass done, which seems like it also helped on throttle responsivness. tie that in with my lightweight pulley and i got myself a nice responsive beast made for back roads and curves

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
de-snorkus and like above with a piece of pipe connecting the 2 openings (from the maf to the torque box) is the hybrid intake i am running. sounds like it is faster, although it all it does is improve throttle responsiveness IMO, power is pretty much the same as stock, maybe a lil more power made in the higher rpms but thats about it. i also have the throttle bottle coolant bypass done, which seems like it also helped on throttle responsivness. tie that in with my lightweight pulley and i got myself a nice responsive beast made for back roads and curves
Here's a link to the bypass DIY mod:
NorthUrsalia.com: Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

I personally don't run this, but maybe in the future.

141 - 160 of 218 Posts