Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
A green 1998 Impreza L Coupe
2 Posts
Awesome information, I have a stock ej22 and it rips in the snow just fine all my friends with other vehicles want to sit in my car when were out drifting

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I'm going to update the spring/coilover section since I just replaced my totally blown struts with KYB AGX and Tanabe GF210 springs. I would suggest a suspension setup be a major thing to upgrade on your NA models. Amazing performance.

I'd still suggest starting with a rear swaybar and the strut bars for the simple costs of them.

·
Where are my keys?
98 OBS, 04 XTI
1,571 Posts
I'm going to update the spring/coilover section since I just replaced my totally blown struts with KYB AGX and Tanabe GF210 springs. I would suggest a suspension setup be a major thing to upgrade on your NA models. Amazing performance.

I'd still suggest starting with a rear swaybar and the strut bars for the simple costs of them.

quoted for truth.

·
Registered
Red '10 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
2010 2.5i suspension

Before I get to my ?s I just wanted to say how thankful I am for this write up.
It was exactly what I was looking for :)

Ok so here I go [btw, this is my first post so forgive me for my ignorance]

2010 2.5i 5-door Premium 5MT

1] Should I upgrade my springs first THEN the RSB or vice versa, and is there a front sway bar or something similar that I can fit? Also, what other bracings and such will I need to find?

2] If I use SPT parts or Stock Parts, even if they're not the same year or generation, will that keep my warranty intact? What if they are used?

3] Which WRX or STi Exhaust do you think would fit?

4]For Shiggles, will the WRX or STi 5-door rear spoiler work on my car?

5] Any good junk yards etc near Los Angeles where I might be able to pick up used parts?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I'd just like to have a better handling DD.
Maybe get a little more power perhaps, but that handling is definitely an issue.
Good... because that's what you're going to get with the car you have :lol:

Go with the rear sway first. Then springs/struts. Don't skimp on them... get what you want since it's basically a new car. Then maybe do an exhaust later. Don't forget to get some good tires, preferably summer and winter treads too... depending on your weather.

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
i dont know what the roads are like in LA but if they are bad (lots of pot holes) i would say dont get ajustable shocks because you will me ajusting them every week lol...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wanted to say thanks for doing this. Coming from my 2005 STi, i wanted to make a bulletproof DD capable of handling snow on the cheap. Wanted to avoid high mileage problems with the car (i suppose why i should avoid the 2.5L). In general, is the upkeep on these old cars difficult? I am used to doing all the work myself, and the subtraction of a turbo will sure simplify things in the engine bay. Wondering what kind of typical wear and tear items might need replacement in the 100k-150k range. Really excited about this idea, hoping I can add a little RS flair in the form of the bad wing and the rally fogs :)

Thanks again

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Welcome :)

Upkeep isn't difficult. Really the only major thing that goes wrong with the EJ25 is the headgaskets, which will usually go around 125k (ish). I mean, that's a very broad statement... but I guess it would be better to say between 100 and 150k somewhere in there. It's just the way the horizontal engine sits. The EJ18/22 tend to hold up better for some reason though. The '98 EJ25 seems to have the most problems when looking at the RS (really it's any pre-99 EJ25). Anything after that, they've gotten better, but not up to the quality of the small engines.

Other than that, everything seems to last just fine into the 100k+ territory. The timing belt needs done around 100k or every 6 years though. Make sure to do the pulleys too, or at least check um very good. They probably won't last another 100k though.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
So in your opinion the 1.8 is no good ??
Well, if you're ok with that type of power, then it's fine for you. It's a bit lacking in the power department though. If the car is solid.. aka, no rust and such, I'd say it's good. All the same mods and stuff apply.

Do you have one already, or are you looking to buy?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
1.8 can learn it has a turbo! look up some 1.8T member journals, or just stick with being slow slow
You could :banana:

But that would be well above the content of this guide, haha. It's a possibility though. You could roll with the 1.8 for now, do everything in the guide, then turbo it after down the line.

121 - 140 of 218 Posts