Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 393 Posts

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Will any manual starter work? I think I'll just get one from the WRX.

Obviously, it has to come from a manual.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback
227 Posts
i have a 99 OBS, i plan to take the 5mt out of it and put it into my rs, can i use the ecu from the OBS evne though its 2.2 or ill it decrease my 2.5 engine performance?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Smoke no, the manual starter has to come from the proper phase engine (phase I or phase II which ever it may be) and the starter must be the same style clutch also, push/pull, myself and sleepy subie are on the sneeking suspicion these are quite similar but haven't definite proof, if you have a WRX pull type starter then by all means see if it lines up with the push type flywheel and report back.

Voluo5, I've found that the ECU's neednt be changed. remove the TCU unit from the RS and leave ECU's alone.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback
227 Posts
ok thats fine, what im really confused about is wiring, i know the write says what to do but i still dont know, liek the reverse lights and ABS not working how do i fix and if i the 5m/t doenst need a TCU?

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
Youre probably not going to have ABS after everything is done, and I still don't have any reverse lights after the procedure either, but id still like to know what is involved in getting them to work..

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If you're interested in ABS check the links I posted in the beginning of the thread.

As for reverse lights mine work fine :p I'll post pictures since the car's interior is still stripped down.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback
227 Posts
i was reading some of the stuff but i cant find anything descriptive, im not a super awesome person when ti comes to electrical but ill keep reading ^^ also pics of what you did will help immensely

·
Registered
1997 coupe
202 Posts
anyone done an OBD1 5mt trans swap into an OBD1 auto ecu impreza.

just wondering what the wiring will be like for my swap. I've got a 92 turbo legacy trans/linkage/drive-line w hydro clutch going into a 95 impreza with a turbo kit on a ej18 running the stock ecu which is for the ej18 and auto trans

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Going back and updating everything to be easier to understand. till then this is the most straight forward way of explaining the simple method for making your car road legal with a manual transmission.

Wiring is theoretical but consists of the following splices

1 to state a false neutral (bridge the signal for a real neutral switch)
- The shifter has 4 wires going into it two control the shift lock mechanism (just a simple solenoid) the other two are a switch to let the ecu know the engine is in neutral Splice these two

1 to ignite the reverse lights (two wires spliced to two other wires, non polar)
1 to deliver the neutral signal (two wires spliced to two other wires, non polar)
-On 93-01 Impreza Transmissions These plugs are separate from each other on 02+ Imprezas (non sti) these are a single plug. on the WRX you will need to get the wiring diagram to discern which is which. you need to splice these into the plugs that would normally go to the automatic transmission.

You will have to do your own wiring diagram research as the transmission and car harnesses vary from year to year.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
I have a big project ahead of me now.

JDM STi engine swap
STi drivetrain swap (the entire thing)
Auto to manual swap

:/

·
Premium Member
98 RSTi
165 Posts
Smoke no, the manual starter has to come from the proper phase engine (phase I or phase II which ever it may be)
I know that this is not true. I am using a 95 L MT fwd starter on a 99 phase II rs MT transmission. worked great and saved me alot of money for the Auto to MT swap.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Until you learn that phase 2 Motors and Transmissions Use a 6 bolt system where Phase 1 uses a 4 bolt system. so when you mix and match you get problems.

When I used a phase 2 transmission on my phase 1 Ej25D block I was forced to tap out the hole that would have lead to a bolt I didnt have, I tapped it out and bolted the starter to the transmission.

·
Registered
95 Impreza racecar
818 Posts
So the starter you use needs to math the motor not the tranny? I'm using a 95-96 legacy tranny so will I be able to use say an RS clutch kit and master and slave clutch?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sat down to check something, Starters themselves are the same. sorry about that.

The implamentation is different though, so if you have a choice match your phase transmission with your phase engine

Phase 2 engines can accept both phases without problems

Phase 1 engines require the transmission have a hole tapped and the starter's bracket needs to be bored/drilled out larger to accommodate a larger bolt.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 WRXS
306 Posts
if i go with a rs 5MT to put behind my WRX swap, what starter should i get, RS or WRX, i beleive there is a RS AUTO starter on the car currently

·
Registered
85 toyota corolla, grey,turbo
216 Posts
just got the subie a week or so ago and already halfway done with this swap. wired up the pedals today. good to know that clip on the clutch pedal is actually needed.

i better get to wiring that thing up to the ignition.

any tips. like, "dont cross the wires it'll fry your starter."

41 - 60 of 393 Posts