Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
85 toyota corolla, grey,turbo
216 Posts
-so i had to use the manual starter. no biggie. but the auto starter does not fit in the manual tranny as stated earlier.

-also i just took out all my ABS stuff and plugged in all my manual brakes stuff. its pretty choppy looking since my brake lines are twisted around each other.

-the reverse lights should be easy enough to figure out. just cut the stock clip and put my own clips in.

-the shifter stuff i may have to see to understand. doesnt sound too crazy though.

-i am still a little cloudy about what this clutch pedal clip does. is it just a loop that gets shorted or what. if i can understand what its doing i can understand how to get around it.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
-so i had to use the manual starter. no biggie. but the auto starter does not fit in the manual tranny as stated earlier.
never said an automatic one would. sorry for the confusion if you picked that up some where.

-also i just took out all my ABS stuff and plugged in all my manual brakes stuff. its pretty choppy looking since my brake lines are twisted around each other.
If you had a brake line bender/extruded you could have shortened and straightened them to look fine. they're fairly cheap at any auto parts store.

-the reverse lights should be easy enough to figure out. just cut the stock clip and put my own clips in.
Purdy much, wiring changes on every vehicle, and I didn't look up the information on every year so that's a home work project for you.

-the shifter stuff i may have to see to understand. doesnt sound too crazy though.
In the transmission tunnel, right behind the opening for your shifter, you have to install bushings for the shifter to mount into. on an automatic car those holes are usually plugged with plastic to prevent rust. pop them out and install the rear bushing. from there the install should go as if you're just installing a manual transmission in a manual car (mechanically)

-i am still a little cloudy about what this clutch pedal clip does. is it just a loop that gets shorted or what. if i can understand what its doing i can understand how to get around it.
Clutch pedal switch is an interrupter that stops the car from starting without the clutch being fully depressed. You can run a line from the ignition column to the clutch and then a second from the clutch to the starter and have your car function like any normal manual car, but if you run it straight from the ignition to the starter your car will start WITHOUT having to press the clutch in.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
its not called neutral safety for manual its neutral position. And what I'm told it does is tell the ECU you're in neutral this will keep the engine revs up longer wile off the throttle so you can make a clean shift.

This one technically is optional.

·
Registered
Wannabe JDM GF4
1,719 Posts
well i was told if i dont have it inserted in te tranny that it will leak... and it does lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Clutch pedal switch is an interrupter that stops the car from starting without the clutch being fully depressed. You can run a line from the ignition column to the clutch and then a second from the clutch to the starter and have your car function like any normal manual car said:
so is the line that you are running a ground that is open and when your depress the clutch it connects the negative side of the starter so you can start the car. or is it a 12v line.

also put the tranny in today and the xmember for the 1.8 tranny is waaay off compared to the xmember of the auto 2.2 tranny.

im going to fab one up unless there is an easier fix.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i will do that as soon as i get back out to the garage. its like 6 degrees outside so i have to really plan my trips outside. haha.
but yeah if theres two parts to this xmember then i dont have it all.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
128 Posts
Ok Letze I have a question...I have a 96 L sedan, and im getting the ej20g wrx engine and tranny, will the ecu work w/o problems. Will i have to 1st swap in a 96 L tranny and then swap in the jdm wrx tranny?

·
Registered
216 Posts
ok ive got pics but will have to upload them from my phone when i get home.
also wondering what are all the possible reasons to get CEL's.
from tranny or what. i want to get it safety and emmisions checked with ease.

thanks

again pics to come.

·
Registered
216 Posts
here is the clutch pedal connector im talking about. (im thinking what if you just jumper the two terminals together what happens. ill check both sides with a volt meter)

these are off of the auto tranny. im assuming we leave them alone. will these cause a CEL.

where do these go.

and finally where do these go.

thanks for the help.

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
one of the 2 big plugs we took the other side from the actual transmission and just made a little harness for it.. i may have a picture of it. The 3rd picture looks like o2 sensor (white plug). I didnt do anything with the connector on the clutch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
thats what it was. the o2 sensor. haha. i remembered those two but forgot and decided to post pics of it anyways. good thing.

what did the harness that you made do. where did it go. since that end in in the transmission.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
as for the connector on the clutch, its one terminal comes from the ignition switch, other goes to the starter but its optional.

Ok Letze I have a question...I have a 96 L sedan, and im getting the ej20g wrx engine and tranny, will the ecu work w/o problems. Will i have to 1st swap in a 96 L tranny and then swap in the jdm wrx tranny?
It depends on how its wired if it will work or not, thats up to you or who ever you pay to merge your harness.

if you're using a manual ECU, you cannot use an Auto Trans.

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
thats what it was. the o2 sensor. haha. i remembered those two but forgot and decided to post pics of it anyways. good thing.

what did the harness that you made do. where did it go. since that end in in the transmission.
Here's the plug you mentioned and what I did with it. It connects to that selector

I ended up taking the bulky part off and just directing the end of it under the airbox where it was safe.

·
Premium Member
98 RSTi
165 Posts
I just wanted to take a moment to thank Letze for helping all of us in this conversion to rid the heavy, horsepower robbing 4EAT out of cars. On another note, the used 99 5 speed I installed is making horrable bearing noise and when I drained the oil it was mostly gray and had bits of bearing cage stuck to the drain plug. needless to say I am going to have to pull it out once again. i just bought a 98 outback 5 speed that had no bearing parts stuck to the drain plug so I think im going to slap it in and hope for the best. I will take pics of how I modded the starter mounting and give you a first hand pin to pin pics of the wiring before I make it look pretty and legit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
nice cant wait to see. sucks about the 99 tranny.

btw im originally from sierra vista. not too far from you.

61 - 80 of 393 Posts