Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
very nice guide. youve covered everything pretty well.

this is what my car actually currently looks like since i never bothered to put it back together after i bolted the main dash back in lol
LOL

That is exactly what MY car looks like, since I never got around to putting the rest of the shit back in when I got the main dash back in. Its going to happen before ski season.

·
Registered
JDM Sti Version 5 GC8 conversi
15 Posts
00 dash in a 95

I was looking to install a 00' dash into a 95. What modifcations would I need to do to do that? What kind of wiring modifications also... splicing? I already have a jdm sti v5 engine/drivetrain/ecuswap performed by Rallispec and do not want to fudge up their wiring.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was looking to install a 00' dash into a 95. What modifcations would I need to do to do that? What kind of wiring modifications also... splicing? I already have a jdm sti v5 engine/drivetrain/ecuswap performed by Rallispec and do not want to fudge up their wiring.
i would like to know as well

·
Registered
2000 RS/2002 WRX
173 Posts
Here too... Just gutted my '95L interior, '98 RS interior about to go in... I am surprised how much is different back there. Had intended to use the '95 steering column and such with the '98 dash and dash beam. Not sure if that's possible now. Anyone have advice on how to connect the lower tabs off the dash beam? Maybe spacers are the trick, but I do not know what angle the tabs need to be at for everything to work.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
I tried to take out my dash. It didn't go too well. What got me was the two bolts in the front of the dash. I don't have a swivel head. :(

I still have a dozen screws that are still laying around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
rs interior

I've been lurking on /rs/ for a while now. I alsohave a 95L from the reading I've done. its difficult as fuck to get the newer rs dash to fit. You will need the new dash bar and steering column brackets to work.also ithe heater boxes are differnt. Also if you want to use the newer cluster its nearly impossible. Because up until 98/97 not sure they switch to all electronic guages. 95 L"S use cable so it really hard to mod. Hopes this helps

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
i swapped a 98rs dash into my 96 L wagon.
check my build thread or members journal, i have tons of pics of the swap, motor and interior.
i swapped an entire 98rs wiring harness into my car so it wasnt so i didnt have to do much wiring, except for the harness came from a coupe and went into a wagon...

the ac system wiring is a bit different and the newer cluster uses a vss instead of a mechanical cable, you wil have to jumper soem wires between the ecu and the cluster to make it work.

the biggest difference mechanically is the hole in the firewall for the ac lines, the upper mounting tabs for the dash in the firewall, and the spot where the dash beam attaches to the transmission tunnel and the airbag module needs to be moved too.

the front door cards, handles, trim and mounting brackets all have to be replaced, the old cards hit the dash, the door handles dont fit the doorcards or trim pieces and the hardware to mount the doorcards doesnt line up at all between 93-96 and 98+.

power windows/side view mirrors have to be repinned at the door harness connector and the power lock system will have to be rewired and an actuator added to the drivers side door to work with the newer style lock switches. assembly.

unless you plan on doing an entire interior swap, its not really worth it to try and do this swap. i probably dropped 600+ into the interior swap to do it right with all the correct hardware...

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
I don't mind my old L dash, it looks fine to me other than it's tan.

I'm debating if I should wait until I do my swap to paint my dash, or just mask everything off and paint it.

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
I masked everything off to get it black first. I might touch back up on it when i swap. I just COULD NOT stand the tan.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Tan pretty much sucks unless you enjoy Legacy leather or you are in an old person.

·
Registered
98 Outback Sport
1,249 Posts
just thought id but this and say thanks to the op, im helping my buddy take apart his dash today and this was very useful, and will also be my guide again once i attempt removing the dash on my wagon.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
anyone have any tips on removing the ac/heater box behind the radio/hvac controls?

I'm trying to remove my RS bulkhead harness so I can swap in my RA harness but that damn white ac/heater box wont come out.

I have the lower dash on both sides, blower box and hvac/radio out but the upper dash is still in.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
double post

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump - Photobucket suks. There are no photos in the thread. Something about third party hosting. Is there a subsequent thread that has pix?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bump - Photobucket suks. There are no photos in the thread. Something about third party hosting. Is there a subsequent thread that has pix?

Here you go boss. Fixed it for me and i can see photos. There was a thread on here not too long ago that showed to to install the plugin extension.

This is a good write up btw on swapping dashes, bonus points for flocking and where to purchase too!

Photobucket Hotlink Fix - Chrome Web Store

·
Registered
8 Posts
this guide sucks....doesent show the cutting of center console around HVAC controls that's necessary to remove it.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts