Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 295 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
Update on the wiring guide, EJ205 merges are just about done with most GC models, im working on the 2.2 models right now. When i have time ill work on the 255/257 models unless anyone wants to help me with them. Each merge has one to two pages containing all wire colors and pin locations and what they get merged with, as well as a sheet showing all wire color codes, ECU pinout chart, fuel pump controller pinouts and an OBD2 port pinout. I think thats sufficient info to get the job done.

As far as video goes, i finished composing both harness disassembly and wire merge processes, i just need to add a few tid bits and do a narration to explain everything.

02-05 EJ205 merge into:
93-96 Impreza 1.8
96 Impreza 2.2 (currently unfinished)
97 Impreza 2.2 (currently unfinished)
98 Impreza 2.5 RS
99-01 Impreza 2.5 RS

·
Registered
2000 RS gray/silver
89 Posts
ok i'm confused as all hell!!!
I will be doing a motor swap soon... 05wrx into 00 RS
i will get the ECU/Wire harness.
i've read through this thread but still confused where i'm merging
OR what exactly needs to be merged.
Can i not plug the wrx ecu into the rs and go? (obviously not)
Any help would be great, i'll read through that write up again also.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
Essentially your cutting the RS ECU out of the harness, then taking a WRX ECU and a handful of wires and connecting them to the RS harness where it was cut from. The wires you dont cut/merge from the WRX ecu will run across the car into the engine bay. Thats it.

·
Registered
2000 RS gray/silver
89 Posts
i'm not sure why i'm not getting this.
RS ECU- cut off connections to the ecu
Connect wrx ecu to RS harness that you cut off the ecu connections along with misc wires?
rest of wrx harness goes into engine bay and they get plugged into where?
maybe i need to draw out a picture. i'm good with wires and junk but the harness thing is stumping me.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
The WRX engine harness stays on the engine, that plugs into the half of the WRX ECU harness that your not cutting, the part that runs across the car. The "merge" is what is being cut and connected to the WRX ecu for wires that go to things on the body of the car itself. Half the harness goes to the motor, the other half goes to the car, your merging the part that goes to the car.

·
Registered
2000 RS gray/silver
89 Posts
OK i just went threw that pictorial write up more thoroughly. makes so much more sense now.
Cut out FPC, SMJ/o2/engine harness FROM WRX
MERGE it to corresponding wires on RS harness...
More clear?

·
Registered
2000 RS gray/silver
89 Posts
Fuel Pump Relay Control B134/16 – T’ed to B135/19 (This makes the relay on when the key is on.)
Sensor Ground Joint Connector - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Ground (R/Y on RS) - (G/Y on WRX)

i need help with this one.....
135/19 goes to the ground juntion. so you are taking the RS wire which should go to the ecu and putting it to ground?
Doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
2000 RS gray/silver
89 Posts
I have a question about this IGNITION switch wire...
on the WRX SMJ side it comes from 1 wire branches to 4 wires, 3 of those are cut and 1 goes to the ecu plug.
on the RS side it comes out of the plug and branches to 3 wires.

I'm not sure how to go about this.... cut it from the RS plug and then what?
what about the 3 wires that are cut from the WRX side?

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
Just a reminder to those ive sent some wire merge pages to, PM/Email me with feedback so i can make changes to it. Ive been super busy the last few months and havent had time to work on it much, i also havent had any other swaps done since March which doesnt help. I have a video to go along with the guide that ill upload to youtube i just need to spend a day doing voice-over recording and finish editing it.

·
Registered
97 Impreza OBS
21 Posts
Oh boy... I'm having a heard time converting the guide into something that will help me with my swap.

I have a 97 Impreza OBS 2.2L GF4, it is auto, and i want to keep it auto with the stock dash. (speedo is cable driven)

The donor car is a 02 WRX sedan (also auto).

The main problem I'm having is that there seems to be differences in ecu pin-outs from 93-96(phase 1) and 98-01(Phase 2)... The 97 seems to be in a realm of its own and i cant find any year specific Manuals.

I cant for the life of me find ECU pin-outs for my 97 OBS

Neutral Position: B84/pin 82 for me is a Blue/Red wire that branches out into thicker gauge wires into the bulkhead.

Starter switch: B84/pin 86 is a single red wire that goes to ignition switch(possibly correct?)

Ignition switch: B84/pin 85 is a yellow wire that splits out to engine harness and bulhead.

At this point i don't wanna go too far in and have to start from scratch, any guidance will the greatly appreciated!

Also, i should be able to use my 97 4EAT correct? i haven't found any particular guides on how to make that work either...

·
Registered
'96 OBS
241 Posts
Try here: Index of /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Impreza/1997-1998

Grab 'Wiring and Troubleshooting.pdf' Flip to page 868 (PDF numbering, not the numbers printed on the pages) for the EJ22 engine. I'm pretty sure that will have the right info for your car. It matched up with everything except the wire you described as red is supposedly red/yellow.

·
Registered
97 Impreza OBS
21 Posts
Red yellow* woops . I followed the diagram. must be correct !

I must have been out of it when i took a look at this manual...:crazy: i could only find wiring for the turbo model using ctrl F . Regardless sorry it took you 2 comments in my face to get me what seems to be the right manual.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
241 Posts
No worries. I have my own little wiring project that I'm working on, so the way I see it we're in this together. :) Also, Ctrl+f doesn't work for crap in those manuals because they're scanned and (poorly) OCR'ed. They're much better than nothing, but you have to do a lot of flipping through them somewhat by hand.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
I apologize for the delays, life has been kicking me hard the last couple months and im just now getting around to have some free time to work on things. The other issue im having is im getting feedback on it from one or two of the dozen people ive given things to, so im not finding errors and whatnot as fast as id like and im still running into issues where the factory service manuals dont match whats in the cars. Theres always the possibility of colors/pins being different but ive now found six or eight instances where things dont add up.

Aside from that, i have the video guide made and edited i just need to do a voice over and post it up. Im thinking to host the guide somewhere as a PDF for people to use and just make notes/revisions as time goes on, its not what i want but i havent gotten much feedback.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
If you do post them online i can take a scroll through and see if i notice anything. My experience is mainly in the 02-05 wrx and v7-v8 sti into 99-01 rs which is probably the best documented and refined though.

221 - 240 of 295 Posts