Registered
01 WRX swapped RS Coupe. 01 RS Sedan
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
Power steering pump.

Yuck.

A quick dip in the parts washer

Pull the bearing off the shaft.

Disassembled, waiting on new O-Rings etc from McMaster Carr.

Pull the old seal out. While the scratches you can see in the pic are on the bearing race, I did manage to score the machined face where the seal goes more than I would have liked.

Don't do what I did, install the new seal in the correct orientation. Install the new bearing on the shaft (I used a socket and a hammer) and insert into the housing. Be sure that the Snap Ring fits into the groove properly.

Re-insert the pump mechanism onto the shaft, and refit the rear housing. Use new O-Rings of course, and plenty of lube during reassembly.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
832 Posts
I had good luck with a harbor freight bearing splitter recently, although the bearings in question were in a transmission. Your bearings appear smaller and the kit should fit.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I had good luck with a harbor freight bearing splitter recently, although the bearings in question were in a transmission. Your bearings appear smaller and the kit should fit.
I just ordered this from Amazon to do the alternator. I was hoping that the $11 puller I bought at Northern Tool yesterday, would have worked for both the PAS pump and the Alternator but alas, it did not.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
832 Posts
That one looks like it'll work

Reactions: Ricco

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
The fins interfered with the puller on the front bearing, but I still managed to remove it with the tool I linked to above, and a little bit of persuasion.

The rear one was easy.

With the bearings removed, the Rotor has no moving parts so I gave the fans/fins on each end a light blasting and a dusting of paint to improve their appearance as well as slow down the rust so they dont rot and fall apart. I have no idea if I have completely ruined this thing or not, but time will tell. I know I will need to sand off some of the paint on the housing as that and the bracket are used for the ground.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Finished up the alternator, save for new case half bolts that are on order from Subaru.

Started by de-soldering the old Regulator. I could have just replaced the brushes but a whole new regulator came in the kit so, here goes nothing.

Place the new one in and solder it up.

Re-install the stator on the rear case half

Installed the new bearings and retainer plate.

Final assembly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Wastegate crack was not bad at all but still had it welded up.

I dropped it off, along with my exhaust and wastegate, at the powder coaters for Ceramic coating.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #309 (Edited)
Haven't really accomplished much this week, waiting on a bunch of parts.. I did get some things back from Powder coater though, so I reassembled one of my seatbelt receivers. I'm holding off on the other one because the release button is very faded, going to compare it to the one left in my sedan, hopefully getting it back again soon.

Speaking of my sedan, my bodyshop guy is such a tease!

Seatbelt receiver component parts

Mechanism re-assembled

Cover installed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
I'm like SB receiver... keeps reading. Just wow, the details.
Haha.. Yes, its times like this that I realise I am too anal about some things. At least these operate like brand new now, no longer full of pocket lint :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Nothing much happening here..

Had the Engine Mount Plates powder coated and installed Group N Engine mounts. Put a dab of thread lock on these nuts, just for a little insurance.

Re-painted the STI Logo on the pedals

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Cleaned up the Alternator adjuster block thingy.

Test fitted the AC Belt tensioner.

Got some Fuji Racing love.. Beats the OEM plastic piece anyway!

AN all the things! I actually managed to snag a Tigwerks -10 inlet fitting, so I will likely use this instead of the -6 MSI one.

Mocking up the engine accessories

Not totally sold on this belt cover, I might run it, I might not.. Seems the Foz has a different AC bracket so the right hand bolt location doesn't line up. It wouldn't be difficult to come up with a bracket though.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
604 Posts
You're really making me look like a chump with all of this attention to detail.
Keep the posting going, it's been a fun ride!

-TC

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you are going to buy new AVCS covers check out the ones P and L sells. They are billet and o ring sealed vs the factory ones and are not very expensive. Great work. Thanks for curing my OCD for a bit since I cant work on my car for the time being.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
You're really making me look like a chump with all of this attention to detail.
Keep the posting going, it's been a fun ride!

-TC
Haha.. Its a blessing and a curse, I can't seem to let anything slide.. Not even the seat belt receivers :rolleyes:

If you are going to buy new AVCS covers check out the ones P and L sells. They are billet and o ring sealed vs the factory ones and are not very expensive. Great work. Thanks for curing my OCD for a bit since I cant work on my car for the time being.
Oh wow, I had no idea there was an aftermarket option.. I would have bought these for sure, had I not just received the new OEM ones.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #318 (Edited)
The BRZ went up on bricks this week as I dropped off my Nismo wheels at the powder coaters.

Can't wait to go Gold with these wheels.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
In other news, I brought my GC back from the Body shop, again!

Blitz NUR Spec R and zero interior is pretty Boomy.. Gives me a headache, I must be getting old.

Stopped at my insurance agent to get an ID card.

Passed state inspection first try!

I guess you could say I like blue cars.

Not going to waste much time tearing in to this thing. Going to pull the engine, trans, dash and wiring.. The wiring will then go off to iWire and the car will go back to the bodyshop for the engine bay to be painted.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
I've had to install and remove this heater return pipe (and therefore the Dipstick too) more times than I care to remember.

Ugh.. Why can't things just fit!

That's better.

This little bolt is probably only second to the Jesus bolt, in terms of being a PITA.

301 - 320 of 366 Posts