Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
Power steering pump.

Yuck.

A quick dip in the parts washer

Pull the bearing off the shaft.

Disassembled, waiting on new O-Rings etc from McMaster Carr.

Pull the old seal out. While the scratches you can see in the pic are on the bearing race, I did manage to score the machined face where the seal goes more than I would have liked.

Don't do what I did, install the new seal in the correct orientation. Install the new bearing on the shaft (I used a socket and a hammer) and insert into the housing. Be sure that the Snap Ring fits into the groove properly.

Re-insert the pump mechanism onto the shaft, and refit the rear housing. Use new O-Rings of course, and plenty of lube during reassembly.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
737 Posts
I had good luck with a harbor freight bearing splitter recently, although the bearings in question were in a transmission. Your bearings appear smaller and the kit should fit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I had good luck with a harbor freight bearing splitter recently, although the bearings in question were in a transmission. Your bearings appear smaller and the kit should fit.
I just ordered this from Amazon to do the alternator. I was hoping that the $11 puller I bought at Northern Tool yesterday, would have worked for both the PAS pump and the Alternator but alas, it did not.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
737 Posts
That one looks like it'll work

Reactions: Ricco

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
The fins interfered with the puller on the front bearing, but I still managed to remove it with the tool I linked to above, and a little bit of persuasion.

The rear one was easy.

With the bearings removed, the Rotor has no moving parts so I gave the fans/fins on each end a light blasting and a dusting of paint to improve their appearance as well as slow down the rust so they dont rot and fall apart. I have no idea if I have completely ruined this thing or not, but time will tell. I know I will need to sand off some of the paint on the housing as that and the bracket are used for the ground.

301 - 306 of 306 Posts