Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
01 WRX swapped RS Coupe. 01 RS Sedan
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
The boys from P2P came this weekend and helped me get this PCV fitting out of the block. So much carnage for one stupid little hose barb!

It put up one hell of a fight, but they got it out and the new -12 fitting installed.

In other news, the bodyshop clear coated the hell out of this parcel shelf. It looked pretty shitty before but now it looks 100 times better.

Also found these cool little banjo fittings that convert from NPT to -4AN.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I mocked up a front wheel to see how I did with my measurements. It seems like forever ago since I made that cardboard template to test the wheel fitment over the brakes.

Insert the hub assembly into the wheel.

Guess what..

My measurements were correct, it fits!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Not wanting to waste any time getting stuck into my swap.. I got the AC system evacuated

Got her up in the air.

Disassembly starts today.... Well yesterday, but it started already :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
Spent the last couple evenings getting everything ready to pull the motor.

Been taking my time over it, making sure I don't strip any heads or break any bolts, or spill any fluids.. I've only ever pulled one engine before (My donor STI), so I'm also trying to make sure I do everything right, plus working on your own means things take longer.. I need to bribe one of my kids to come out and 'gofer' for me.

So far, I havent had any issues with any bolts or anything.. Hardest thing so far has been the 4 torque convertor bolts. The engine to bellhousing bolts were a breeze in comparison. All I have left is to remove the Heater core hoses and the Fuel lines. Hoping to pull the engine out tomorrow.

One thing that is making this go so well (At least up to now), is how clean and rust free this car is. I don't think I have ever seen another Classic Impreza with less rust on it than this one.. And I'm including my 1997 Catalunya in that, which I last saw when it was only 7 years old. I made a video while crawling around under the car, I'll try and get it uploaded to YouTube, lots of cobwebs and dust but no rust... Anyway, in the meantime here are a couple of pics in the engine bay to illustrate what I mean.

Even the battery box is near perfect!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Got everything setup last night so I could pull the engine this morning..

Word of warning.. I capped the ends of my power steering hoses, hoping to keep any remaining fluids inside the lines.

I wasn't super confident that it was going to hold so I stuck the 'return' hose end into this juice bottle. Good thing I did because when I turned the wheel, that rubber cap shot off like a bullet!

My fat, lazy ass didn't get around to pulling the engine until this afternoon though, and with rain imminent, I had to work fast, as her arse was hanging out the garage door.

Milestone achieved! - Engine out

The kids kept playing outside, while the downpour happened.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
And as a stretch goal, I also managed to...

Remove the dash.

Remove the AC Box

AND, removed the heater box.

I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
841 Posts
I've spilled soooo much ATF by turning the wheels with the lines disconnected, I always forget to grab a bottle, so well done!
Why is your heater box white?? Imprezas, Legacys, my SVX, I've never seen a white one...
Get some rest so you can wrench more!

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,434 Posts
I've spilled soooo much ATF by turning the wheels with the lines disconnected, I always forget to grab a bottle, so well done!
Why is your heater box white?? Imprezas, Legacys, my SVX, I've never seen a white one...
On all my pulls they are white, whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
No idea mate.. Its just what is in there.. I think the one in my Coupe is white too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Picked up my intake manifold and Turbo inlet from the fabricators today and began mocking things up.

Test fit the intake manifold, notice the lack of any phenolic spacer, and yet how much clearance there is between the fuel rails and AVCS solenoids ;)

Added the turbo inlet & TB - I also added an 8mm Phenolic spacer in this pic to provide a bit more room for the turbo inlet pipe.

AN Fittings installed in the plenum, for vacuum purposes.

Figuring out what fittings I am going to need for PCV.

AN Fittings welded to the Killer B Coolant header tank.

AN Fittings added to the Turbo inlet for PCV and EBCS. I intended for the bracket to bolt up to the threaded hole that I left on the manifold but everything is so tight it there I'm considering tack welding the inlet tube to the manifold instead.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
What did you do/use for the fittings on the heater hoses? I more then likely would of just welded some on but this looks like a better and more serviceable option

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Picked up my intake manifold and Turbo inlet from the fabricators today and began mocking things up.

Test fit the intake manifold, notice the lack of any phenolic spacer, and yet how much clearance there is between the fuel rails and AVCS solenoids ;)

Added the turbo inlet & TB - I also added an 8mm Phenolic spacer in this pic to provide a bit more room for the turbo inlet pipe.

AN Fittings installed in the plenum, for vacuum purposes.

Figuring out what fittings I am going to need for PCV.

AN Fittings welded to the Killer B Coolant header tank.

AN Fittings added to the Turbo inlet for PCV and EBCS. I intended for the bracket to bolt up to the threaded hole that I left on the manifold but everything is so tight it there I'm considering tack welding the inlet tube to the manifold instead.
i would just move the bracket. While it might be really tight, if you ever need to redo coating or something that would be kind of a head ache having it on there

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
What did you do/use for the fittings on the heater hoses? I more then likely would of just welded some on but this looks like a better and more serviceable option
They are Compression fittings. 5/8's to AN10. If I were to do it again, I would weld fittings onto the pipes that come off the engine, and use compression fittings on the Heater core only. I'm currently trying to get the plastic pipe on the heater core, recreated in Aluminium.

omiotek said:
i would just move the bracket. While it might be really tight, if you ever need to redo coating or something that would be kind of a head ache having it on there
Yeah, that's probably what I should do, I still need to decide what colour to do the Inlet though, I was thinking Wrinkle red (same as I am going to do the manifold) but maybe it should be wrinkle black to match some of the other accessories, like the Coolant header tank and Power Steering reservoir.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #336 (Edited)
Trying to list out everything that I need to provide Vacuum to, to cover all of my bases.
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator - 1
  • Fuel Pulse Damper - 1
  • Dump valve - 1
  • Brake booster - 2
  • Boost gauge - 3
  • Evap solenoid - 3
  • PCV - 4
  1. 4AN Fitting on right of TB
  2. 10AN Fitting on Cyl 4 Leg
  3. Small vacuum pipe underneath Cyl 3 leg
  4. 6AN fitting on left of TB
What Am I forgetting?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
They are Compression fittings. 5/8's to AN10. If I were to do it again, I would weld fittings onto the pipes that come off the engine, and use compression fittings on the Heater core only. I'm currently trying to get the plastic pipe on the heater core, recreated in Aluminium.

Yeah, that's probably what I should do, I still need to decide what colour to do the Inlet though, I was thinking Wrinkle red (same as I am going to do the manifold) but maybe it should be wrinkle black to match some of the other accessories, like the Coolant header tank and Power Steering reservoir.
Id go with whatever most of the stuff under the manifold is coated with so it blends in

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Took a couple days off for Chrimbo but got back at it today.

Removed the Dash beam and Bulkhead wiring harness

Bulkhead Harness

Subaru OEM Alarm system sub-harness

Dash beam and Airbag wiring

Pedals removed and Dash beam re-installed to support the steering column.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Didn't really do much today. I pulled the roll pins from the front axles and drained the transmission and front diff fluids. Going to pull the trans tomorrow for sure.

Did I mention how much I hate draining fluids :(

Spent most of my time after that, mocking up the Radiator/AC Condensor and figuring out I have the same issue as everyone else. I thought I was being smart when I ordered a GC Turbo Radiator, but I neglected the fact that on a RHD car, the AC Drier is on the left side of the engine bay. Which explains why the AC condensors for RHD markets, have both AC inlet and Outlet of the condensor, on the left hand side (I figured that out after doing some research this afternoon).

Anyway, I know most people overcome this issue with a different radiator, but I really dont want to use a GD radiator, and I want to relocate my AC drier (to make room for Catch Cans), so I'm planning on modifying my AC system to suit (Possibly using the GD AC Condensor as it has a drier built-in). Unfortunately, when I sold my STI donor, I let the AC system go with it, but fortunately, I've arranged to borrow it back so I can do some measuring and test fitting - Hopefully this week.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Tranny came out today

Gratuitous engine bay shot

Then I drained the brake fluid (well as much as I could)

And removed the brake lines from the front of the car.

Also removed the ABS pump, Brake Booster and Master Cylinder.

Since the hard lines were gone, I took off the front calipers, but left the rears alone. Couldn't resist a cheeky test fit of that big ol' 6 pot!

321 - 340 of 366 Posts