Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Josh's - 04 FXT

44K views 414 replies 38 participants last post by  No_Trunk 
#1 · (Edited)
So my journey is two fold. First is trying to create my ideal Daily Driver. My L had become a very fun but uncomfortable car, after so many years on coilovers there is only so much one can take (or maybe its old age ha ha)

Second is to learn as much as I can about turbo motors and apply that knowledge towards the L. I have ended up learning a LOT more than I had expected.

MODZ

Engine
-Complete overhaul
-VF48
-2011 STI TMIC
-Samco turbo/intercooler hoses
-KSTech TGV Deletes
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-CNT catless DP
-Prodrive Ovaltip axle back
-Grimspeed Uppipe
-GrpN motor mounts
-dw200 fuel pump
-Tomei Inlet
-Tomei Type S FPR
-Bruce Tune

Interior/Exterior
-Wideband & Boost gauge in custom ashtray area plate
-20% Tint all around
-SG dash hood
-passport 8500
-Rola Vortex Roof Basket
-Primitive Skid Plate

Suspension/Steering/trans
-STI Struts
-RCE Black Springs
-Paranoid fab 3/8" saggy but spacers
-STI Rear Sway Bar
-Cusco Endlinks
-JDM V7 Aluminum Control Arms
-Superpro Steering rack bushings
-rallitek auto trans bushing
-B&M Supercooler, trans cooler

Brakes
-Hawk HPS pads all around

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Some pictures

Gotta love this "fix" for a blown turbo

electrical tape eh? Sure why not!

Plans this weekend
-New Rotors & Pads (HPS & Centric)
-transfer wrx struts and springs from my current forester to this one
-Clean Clean Clean
-Change timing belt, pulleys & water pump
-assess intercooler/turbo situation

#7 ·
Last night. The original turbo blew (td04) and they replaced it with a vf40 I guess they decided to use the intercooler that came with it instead of making the stock one work...

love the taped on intake pipe. classy mods right there.
and he wondered why it made no boost.....

#10 ·
and.. here we go..

Yes that pvc couple is melted

Super fucking :unamused:

My plan is to put a new SB in, I just dont really have to cash to do it right away. I think I will pull the heads off this weekend and send them off to get checked, cleaned, decked and have new valve seals put in. Hopefully the block looks ok enough to last me a little while. Judging by the metal in the intercooler its a pretty safe bet the turbo is toast. So the next question is which turbo to put in. I have a VF23 here that is in great condition or do I just pick up a cheap TD04 and keep it stock. or????

#12 ·
yeah the most I see them for is $150.. The question becomes do I want to go with a VF39 or the VF23 and end up with more HP and better MPG's. Since the TD is pretty much always in boost. There is a local that will tune the car for me.

#14 ·
So, obviously the car was having boost issues. After seeing the intercooler setup one would think that was the issue... Well after seeing all the metal in the intercooler I knew the turbo was dead. Well I finally yanked it today.

I look inside and say "hey what is this"

Then I dig a little deeper and pull out one more what appears to be a muffler bearing.........

wonder where all the metal came from??

#19 ·
yeah the whole motor is coming out and the heads are going out to be checked and cleaned. All new pulleys, timing belt, water pump, I got the master gasket set so ill replace every seal that I can without splitting the block.

Wife helped me pull and start cleaning the interior. Will take out the consul and carpet and power wash everything. Will also clean all the floor boards.

#23 ·
Yeah in the fossie. I actually don't have a 22 :(

So far this weekend I have gutted the entire car except for the dash, power washed everything, cleaned all the floor boards, cleaned the headliner, cleaned and conditioned all the leather.. Seats look so much better!! And the carped looks brand new :D

Ordered a full oem gasket kit, down pipe and low mileage sti springs, retainers and valves. Also picked up a gates racing timing belt kit.

engine is just about ready to come out and hopefully everything will dry and I can put all the interior back in :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.