Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pulled some trim pieces, gas cap latch, and other stuff that stripped while disassembling, and found a first gen bumper cover that I'm going to pick up tomorrow. I refinished the wheels, gave them a clear coat and the car feels great on the new tires, has a nice stance as well.

And I made some arm bars with the Forrester door cards for now; super lightweight, but something to rest your arm on. They fit, but not perfectly...

More to come, needs a bit of a drop (still need to replace the KYB's so I'm waiting to swap the springs when I do that) and head lights and a pre 96 grill too...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
799 Posts
Nice idea for those armrests! Are you gonna gut the door itself too? I saw a Honda with NOTHING but the outside skin, and a little wire with a loop that's pulled to unlatch the door. Look up Phong's all motor if you want some ideas that guy is crazy!

Also, nice choice on the Snowflakes, those are my favorite oem wheel.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Nice idea for those armrests! Are you gonna gut the door itself too? I saw a Honda with NOTHING but the outside skin, and a little wire with a loop that's pulled to unlatch the door. Look up Phong's all motor if you want some ideas that guy is crazy!

Also, nice choice on the Snowflakes, those are my favorite oem wheel.
Thanks! I love the snowflakes too, and I think they'll be a good wheel for this lower weight, lower power build. I'll look into Phong's Honda, that sounds pretty nuts! I might try messing with the driver door guts since they're not the original doors and if it goes well I'll try it with the OG passenger ones. I need some seats without heating elements, too; I love the Forrester seats for the lower profile butt bolstering, but higher profile back bolstering, mine just weigh like 60 lbs each...

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like snowflakes too, but they are 4 lbs per corner heavier than RS 6-spokes, and don't clear 4-pots.
(snowflakes are in post 4)

They do with the spacers I'm using, plus I found them cheap;
dankberries on NASIOC has been doing it for a while so I decided to give it a try...

I know the spacers also add more per corner, but I like the stance for now and I'll either save the spacers and go to the smaller Forrester brake set up as you mentioned earlier, or wait until I find some RS 6 spokes in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
I'm assuming you've fit them already? If not, the JDM 4/pots stick out a lil further than the red usdm ones.

And if you haven't bought pads, I recommend EBC Red's. They stop on a dime and are excellent street / light track pads

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have, they just barely fit. Thanks for the heads ups, I really appreciate the info. I wonder, then, if I'm one of few, or only one running the JDM 4/2's with snowflakes...? In general, probably the only one doing JDM 4/2's on a FWD, though there could be some modified examples kicking around China; I know they got a lot of FWD's. There were a couple FWD's from Australia that I remember reading about on NASIOC back in like 08 that ran NA eg33 swaps, one of them I recall hadn't done anything about the front dif and that car was still pretty useable... but I'd have to do some digging.

Its definitely an oddball build, and I know I've sacrificed some amenities in places while other areas my modifications could be more streamlined to the "lightweight" mentality, but they are also done with a certain amount of respect to a visual appeal I'm trying to achieve, as well as availability and budget. I don't mind building a bit of a collection of parts, too. Probably going to be more Subarus in the future!

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And if you haven't bought pads, I recommend EBC Red's. They stop on a dime and are excellent street / light track pads
[/QUOTE]

Awesome, they'll be next.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Yeah I can't remember anyone else doing 4 pots on a fwd car. Kudos :)

Reactions: zf

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Swapped out my bumper with a pre facelift one, pulled the AC condenser and some other AC steel lines, and reinstalled my top windshield seals with some new sealant. Still looking for a pre facelift grill and headlights, though, I'll be in midcoast ME for the next couple weeks so let me know if you know any oldies with lights and grills lying around.

About to get jiggy with another garden lip spoiler, too. This thing's like 8 different colors and about 21 different cars so I just don't care about the paint anymore. It'll have primer, base, and clear everywhere, but if it's different color, idc it's probably staying.
I probably should rename the thread to "Bastard FWD multicolored subaru w/o an interior or AC"

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just dove into some body work and prep for a little dupli~color glacier white color match, so I'll throw up some shots tomorrow. I also have a bunch of cans of a 2 part activated clear so we'll see how that goes... It's not going to be a professional job, or even good, but at least the bad bits will be close to original color. I'm also looking around for some 25d red top injectors, still need to order a lightweight flywheel, choose a clutch, and I few other parts and pieces before I pull the Forester motor. It feels good now with maaybe 90hp- my buddy's '99 v70 can just barely walk away at 60 mph, but if it had ~160 hp, it would be great. I'll re seal my 1.8 when I pull it and just have it as back up if my frankenmotor blows out a head gasket.

Plan:

ej251 block out the Forester

My ej18 stuff (intake mani, wiring, ecu, the 1.8 cam pulleys, crank gear, sensors, timing belt and the UEL header I"m running now) I'm going to do little work on the heads because I'm curious. I know the 1.8 heads fall on their face a little in higher RPM, but I'm planning on building this for lower end street driving where the torque should be fun.

ej25d red tops to push a little more fuel in and match 1.8 intake ports, maybe a walbro 255 if I can find one cheap. I've also seen people just do factory 1.8 pump and not have much pinging, but we'll see. This combo makes compression that definitely could kill a motor without a knock sensor so I'm going to attempt some preventative mods that I hope will help. I can get e85 near where I live so I think I'm going to wean it on to the corn juice mixed with 93.

Also trying to decide what h gasket I want to use;

I've seen sti gasket, ej251 with matched coolant ports, cometic hybrid -- all with great success. I guess as long as its MLS and the coolant ports are matched, they usually work. More to come!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
You really don't want e85 without being tuned for it. Plus it eats through your non-e85 compatible rubber fuel hoses. I don't know what your resulting compression ratio will be, but as long as it's close to 10:1, you should be fine on midgrade instead of premium. As they say, premium doesn't have any more energy density, but it is more knock resistant.

Regarding the head gaskets, you're not running a turbo with tons of cylinder pressure and will be fine with normal MLS gaskets. Or even graphite gaskets, though I don't like those because of the amount of cleanup when you remove them. Get the Comitec ones if you want, but those are not tolerant of mating surfaces that aren't nearly perfect.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You really don't want e85 without being tuned for it. Plus it eats through your non-e85 compatible rubber fuel hoses. I don't know what your resulting compression ratio will be, but as long as it's close to 10:1, you should be fine on midgrade instead of premium. As they say, premium doesn't have any more energy density, but it is more knock resistant.

Regarding the head gaskets, you're not running a turbo with tons of cylinder pressure and will be fine with normal MLS gaskets. Or even graphite gaskets, though I don't like those because of the amount of cleanup when you remove them. Get the Comitec ones if you want, but those are not tolerant of mating surfaces that aren't nearly perfect.
I've been told the 2.5~2.2 combo is around 11:1 so I think its probably going to be a little north of that with the smaller head volume of the 1.8. I saw some guys on NASIOC running a gallon of e85 in a full tank with these set-ups on stock fuel lines and ECU so I was curious how long the system might last. I'll take your advice to start, though, and probably only experiment with corn if it starts knocking really bad; and at that point I'll piggyback it and get the control I need to utilize it, but that'll be further down the line.

I also met a guy who ran a DIY water injection system in on older legacy and measured his intake temps doing hill runs. I'll try to find the thread, but apparently he used a windshield washer sprayer, welding nozzle, and set up a manual switch to spray 10 psi of water in the intake; brought his intake temps down like 10 degrees on average. I won't be doing that anytime soon but interesting what people try for knock prevention. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming (y)

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

Some primer

Moar primer

1st light base coat; duplicolor glacier white

Clear came out ok, I used a can clear coat with an activated hardener; could be even better but it got a little wet just a couple minutes too early so its a little froggy on the more horizontal surfaces, but its fitting and looks a hell of a lot better than primer and bare metal. Real backyard DIY job so it could have gone a lot worse...

I stripped the roof down to the weird green-gray primer and decided to clear coat it because I like it-

I also notched the bumper cover and bumper beam a while ago, but was done so with plans to brace and cut out the spare well for a tunnel and diffuser. The bumper was pretty cracked up through the center where I cut out and for now I've braced it with a piece of aluminum angle that I bracketed to the bumper beam and the hole cut ABS plastic tunnel cover/license plate holder.

Bumper beam notched and boxed in, not much lighter than a USDM factory one but works while I look around for a JDM one

Links fixed, thanks mike!! Reinstalled all my windshield and roof trim and it actually feels more like a car. Still needs some side trim or similar solutions. I'll upload more on the diffuser setup soon, but so far the place-holder makes no noise at any speed and has held up well over the past 1500 miles. I've already welded up a cross brace for the spare well but haven't gotten the guts to weld it in and cut the well yet/other things were more important in making it road worthy... but someday, maybe soon

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
You can upload directly from your phone or pc or whatever, if you click on the "image" icon below the text box. I can't see your photobucket pics.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts