Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAY. My truck doesn't need cats! So take THAT!

(I was looking at $650ish to revert to stock, but since it essentially IS stock, I'm in the clear!)

So instead I bought a flowmaster 30 series and a Y pipe... going single 3".

Now I just need to figure something out about getting a little power out of this thing. The Cali-legal version makes all of ~144hp and 265ft-lbs. Since mines Federal-legal, it's not as choked off, but still there is a lot to be desired.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's this? Oops. I forgot... over on the Jeep board I've got it listed in my sig, along with my RS.

Oh yeah.

DAMN YOU!!! I'LL SQUISH YOU ALL!

:D

No, not a VW.

It's an '86 Dodge Power Ram W250.

(Bit o' trivia I picked up the other day... regular RAM was 2wd, Power Ram was 4wd, back in the 80's anyway)

Chrysler 360 small block - Rochester 4-bbl carb
Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear 4.11 gears all around (I think)
NP205 (I think) Transfer case
Torqueflight 727 3-speed auto
Wild Country TXR 235/85r16 on Allied Type 80 White Spokes

It's pretty burly. It's got different wheels, tires, and now side steps than shown in the pic. :)

Attachments

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, and it's set up for towing yo' momma!

Previous owner put a class IV hitch, tranny cooler, oil cooler, and get this: the front sway bar off a 2wd 1-ton. The thing is at LEAST an inch and a half thick (~40mm for you SAE impared). It weighs almost 20lbs, to say nothing about what it does for front-end articulation! :eek:
Actually, I don't think it does articulate with that sway bar connected.

But it corners almost as well as my RS!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well $300 later and my exhaust is installed, and I'm heading out to the store to buy a new u-joint.
The 30-series flowmaster is supposed to be one of their loudest, but inside it's easily 1/2 as loud as it used to be. :)
Oh well. I like the single 3" pipe sticking out the side. It's manly.

Oh and the transfer case is a NP 208 according to the tag. 2.6:1 low ratio.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I'll make you all jealous. Without a cat I have passed the emissions test with flying colors! My CO @ cruise failed the first time with 5%, but after hooking up my smog pumps it dropped down to .3%. That's right, point-three percent. Legal is 3%.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A buddy of mine in HS had a bunch of Rabbits - diesel 4-doors, pickups, etc. Everything you could imagine. I might be able to hook you up with something!

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
That thing is a beast. Now only is you had one of those Dodge PowerWagons they came out with after the War.

Nick C.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a current photo, including the new exhaust, wheels, tires, steps, and brakes (but you can't really see those).

Power Wagons were cool. But I've got too much money into this truck to get rid of it just yet. :)

Attachments

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:(

While it's nice being able to talk while driving down the road, and not having to turn the engine off at drive-throughs, I miss my cool-sounding truck. It used to sound like an old wooden speedboat at full-tilt. Especially going through tunnels. I loved that... enter the tunnel, back off a little, so I can then stomp the throttle to the floor and listen to the beautiful roar.

But now it's quiet. I'm SO glad I went with the 30-series instead of getting the RV muffler (what a local shop wanted to put on it).

·
Registered
613 Posts
bowing to a different um thingie um

the poontank. stereo platform. bike hauler. survelance platform. Autocross view climbing structure/shade cave/parts bin. loaner car. the best 1200 dollars i ever dropped.

Note the fabulous 70's velvet green/gold diamond tuck and roll full interior.
I tossed all the seats except for the front two.then i regretted losing the bench and rescued one (quick release) from the junk yd. now you can bow.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the van that should have been in that Viper commercial. :eek:

The whole thing SCREAMS '70s... lots of gold/yellow/brown... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts