Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, with my budget being tight right now and me always trying to find something else to do to my car, i have decided to punch the cat. its semi-legal here, and i kinda dig the tone. but the problem is, all the bolts and even the entire flange is just rusted to shit. now im working with hand-me-down hand tools and trying to do this after work (like 2 in the morning) and its just not coming off. so... how the hell am i to do this? help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

by the way, i am new to the RS scene, and new to the site here, and this is great. i have received more help here in the past two days than i have anywhere else. thank you all.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
PB Blaster

And as a last result a Grinder will do wonders, if you don't have one, I suggest you purchase one or even a dremel.

Make sure you wear eye glasses and you should be good to go.

I would also suggest picking up new gaskets for when you go to reinstall, aswell as a few new bolts. The dealer is the only one in which you can get the spring bolts for where the cat bolts up to the midpipe. And they are rather expensive so I would suggest you be careful with these.

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, and actually i have been using a dremel. about how much are the spring bolts, if you could take a guess?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
I don't know 10-20 bucks.

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that is a little up there... manageable though... anything else i should look out for before i do this?

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
+1 for dremel tool! as for the price of spring bolts, I couldn't tell ya but you might get lucky at a salvage yard.

oh, make sure to buy stainless steel hardware..definitely a must.

you're punching out the rear cat right?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Its also rather difficult but it can be done, there are two cats on our cat pipe and they are both at awkward angles.

I would suggest taking it to have a track pipe welded up for you.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
acetylene torches work wonders on the catalyst material fyi

but yea, i'd have them weld a pipe inside the cat casing to keep the oem look

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where do i take it to get a track pipe put in?

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and yes, the rear cat.

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry for the mutiple posts, i keep forgetting stuff... but can the fumes be smelled in the car or no? and i thought the gains were a bit above minimal if nothing else...

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
where do i take it to get a track pipe put in?
If you know the right muffler shop, they'll do it for ya... but most shops that don't know you personally won't do it... tid bit illegal :rolleyes: i know a few people that own a private shop so they hook me up :mamoru:

·
Registered
01 RS & 97 L
590 Posts
I went to a place here in the IE, I just asked for a track pipe and the gave me new flanges and everything. so I can go back to cats if I want to. As far as power gains go, I couldn't tell you cos when I got my pipe, that same day my UEL headers came so I put them in all at once. Man though that sound, at least mine kinda reminds me of that Ken Blocks Monster Sub in that video. BEASTLY! and the Pops too I don't know if I have little iddy bitty flames though...I doubt that.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
A Sawzall works great on bolts, sheet metal, exhaust pipe fab etc.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
yeah if it takes more than ten minutes to get bolts out you are wasting your time. cut them off, drill out the pieces and replace it with brand new nuts, bolts, and lock washers.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I have a brand new set of spring bolts that I bought but ended up not using. PM me if you're interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts