10/26/09 - Engine Installed
10/31/09 - First Start!
11/25/09 - Almost done
11/13/11 - Drive Video

Parts/Modifications
Engine
2004 USDM STi Engine
Cobb Short Ram Intake
TurboXS catted stealthback (4" DP to 3")
Cobb 3" Muffler
Cobb Accessport Stage 2
Group N STi engine mounts

Drivetrain
2003 JDM STi 6MT Transmission w/DCCD
2003 JDM STi R180 and axles
DCCDPro Deluxe controller
ACT StreetLite flywheel
ACT clutch
Group N STi pitch stop, tranny and crossmember mounts
Kartboy rear diff bushings
Kartboy short shifter (rear mount & bushing too)
Perrin rear diff cover

Suspension/Brakes
05 STi Shocks/springs
04 STi front control arms
04 STi rear subframe w/arms & links
04 STi rear t-frame
06 STi Brembos
04 STi steering rack
06 STi knuckles
Prodrive steering rack bushings
Motul RB600 fluid
STi BBS wheels 5x114.3
Hawk HP Plus pads

Other
05 STi gas tank and EVAP
JDM v6 cluster w/DCCD
STi intercooler spray system with auto pressure activation
Braille battery in trunk
Progressive shift light
Defi boost gauge
RedLine fluids
STi carbon fiber front strut bar

Swap Issues/Findings
1. STi fuel filler neck does not fit our chassis. The neck is very obviously routed differently, and strikes our rear sway bar mount.
2. STi fuel tank fits perfectly, but an EVAP line has to be removed/rerouted. Details to come....
3. 04 STi front ABS exciters (on axle) don't line up with 06 STi knuckles. Working this...

The swap took about 98 labor hours. Saved about $7000 by doing all the work myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, I've been on this forum for a little while now and figured I should go ahead and post my catch.

My friend officially got me hooked on Subaru so I decided to sell my 98 Integra Type-R (yea, it was painful) and look for an RS. After a painful 3-month search for the right one, I found this beauty up in Pennsylvania. I drove up to Pittsburgh, checked it out and left on the front of a bad winter storm. I developed my first real appreciation for Subaru's AWD system by outrunning the storm in some icy wet conditions until we crossed back into MD. I was definitely hooked. :burnout:

The car was in great condition. The only problems are cosmetic from a cheap ass paint job, but....unfortunately, a dump truck on the way back home managed to drop a bunch of rocks in front of it's rear tires and chip/dent each panel that was imperfect (no lie). Full coverage just paid for itself.

Assuming my finances don't kill me after the move I am about to make, I will be buying a totaled STi this winter. Everything but the interior will be swapped. I can't wait.

Enjoy the pics!

-Jake

A random shot on the way home.

First shot in MD (at the welcome center). Some ice still remains from the storm.

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
wow dude, a Type-R? I'm usually not a fan of integra's but even I couldn't sell one of those, they're the beacon of true performance in a hurricane of ricers besides the fact that they look awesome when they're all cleaned up.

btw am I the only one who thinks driving fast in tunnels is the best feeling/sound evar?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I saw a red Integra today... black wheels, mods and such. Had to take a double take at it. BUT, I do like RS's better. They handle better... and that sound is amazing. Congrats on the purchase!

And you got it from Pittsburgh?! They sell RS's here? Oh geez. You should have stopped by to visit!

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
btw am I the only one who thinks driving fast in tunnels is the best feeling/sound evar?
Yea, the ITR was hard to get rid of. It was an awesome car to drive, but I don't think it will compare to an RSTi (I'll have to see). The greatest thing about the ITR was it's track-readiness out of the box (and VTEC at 8500 RPM :D). It came down to the fact that I was tired of ricers on my nuts/trying to steal it, and it was in shitty condition (needed about $7k to restore/fix it) so I sold it. I also love driving through tunnels. It's like sitting left seat to "warp speed" or some shit.

Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks, and I wouldn't have had time to stop by anyways :) But good offer though.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
I saw a red Integra today... black wheels, mods and such. Had to take a double take at it. BUT, I do like RS's better. They handle better... and that sound is amazing. Congrats on the purchase!

And you got it from Pittsburgh?! They sell RS's here? Oh geez. You should have stopped by to visit!
I'm not so sure that an RS would outhandle an Integra Type R. Chassis is build from the ground up for racing, pretty fantastic car.

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Swap started

Today I finally started my swap. :)

I slept like a 12 year-old on Christmas eve, woke up, ran an errand and got crackin. I was very surprised how easy it's been so far (knock on wood). My last swap was in a 91 Jeep, which was a huge pain in the ass. So far it's been smooth sailing. The exhaust was a PIA, but when isn't it? :)

The engine was out after 4 hours. Then I took the time to clean the engine bay, and clean out the interior for tomorrow's stripping and wire snatching. I just called it a day after 9 hours....and just now realized I haven't eaten anything all day. Guess I've been having too much fun.

I'll be taking pics along the way, mostly so I don't forget how all this shit goes back together. :lol: Enjoy

Coming soon....

Looks low mileage to me :) 32,000 miles

What I'm workin with

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice project. i'm jelous :)

why did you take your fuel tank off? also are you using rs rear xmember?
From what I heard our tanks have issues with fuel starvation in hard right turns. I heard the STi tanks solve this.

I have an STi rear subframe/crossmember on the way.

·
Premium Member
'01 RSTi
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My neighbor helped all day, so we were able to get all the wires out. Tomorrow we'll do suspension. :)

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts