Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Black 2.5RS
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the search button, many times for the past couple months already!

but my question is this: can I use the STi flange (of the mid/intermediate pipe) to 'mate' up to my stock cat?

I'm asking because all the threads I've seen, I've read 'they had to chop up my mid pipe' but never really mentioning if they took the old rs midpipe flange to mate up to the cat or not. also, I have matched up the two flanges (of both the sti & rs midpipes) and the sti flange's holes seem wider than the rs's.

so? idealy, I want to be able to swap exhausts whenever I want to, so I dont' want the shop to chop up my stock rs midpipe. with that, has any of you rs owners with sti cat backs ONLY used the sti flange, and it mated up ok?

thanks, in advance! hope to hear from you guys soon! (I wanna get the damn thing on, asap)

·
Registered
04 Outback H6 aka old man car
335 Posts
I think because the flange is a bit larger than the original one, it won't bolt up correctly. If you do manage to get it bolted up, you will also be susceptible to leaks around that area. If it leaks, you'll end up going back, so just get it done once the right way.

If you don't want to cut that original RS midpipe, you can get them to match the flange and add that section to your STI pipe. But honestly RS midpipes are cheaper, and can be had for next to nothing.

·
Registered
12WRX/97Brighton
300 Posts
goldiebot said:
dont use a sti midpipe. you will loose power. i say goto a muffler shop and have them custom bend a resonatorless midpipe or high flow. i've done it with a sti midpipe and lost alot of torque.
Both of the above bolded items will make your STi axleback sound raspy/Hondaish. Unless thats what you are going for, make sure there is a resonator in there and your stock cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts