Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got done, i am sitting here trying to regain feellings in my toes, tips of my fingers, my left nut...and my ass...

God damn that was a pain...

what was supposed to take an hour, 2 at the most turned into 6 and a half.

Why? well, i had to replace my O2 sensor, and to do that i'd have to kill the battery for about an hour, so i was like yay, i'll do the mounts too.

My car is rather custom, so as soon as i took the stock mounts off the engine jumped a good inch to the front..from there i had to replace mounts, mess with the engine, strap it to the lift, take headers off, take tranny support off...get tranny mount in... push engine in... all that at 4 am with no fricking lite...

result: after 10 min warm up check engine light is gone, and after i wake up i am gonna take the car for the test drive.

Jealous? :stinky:

·
General pain in the ass
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
oh yea, whoever said i cant use STI engine and tranny mounts in my conversion was WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! ;) but after i looked at my setup i knew that i could use em...i also got sti top tranny mount...cant remember the name of it to save my life

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Wait... When did you get back into an RS? :confused:

·
Registered
139 Posts
mauahah said:
what are STI engine mounts supposed to do for the car???
hold the engine in place much better.
example: ever notice when you hit the gas that the engine will tilt (a lot on some cars) it moves because the mounts aren't made for bigger performance (some believe they aren't good enough for stock) and the sti ones are. i think there's a comparison pic on scoobymods. you'll notice the insert covers a larger area on the sti ones resulting in a stiffer mount.
IMO, the over all purpose is to keep the engine from moving so much and to keep it from jumping out:D hope this helps
edit: forgot, they also make solid mounts that don't flex and shake the hell out of the car for those with higher performance needs.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
i also got sti top tranny mount...cant remember the name of it to save my life
You talking about the dogbone thing? If so, that's the pitch stop mount or something. :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
edit: forgot, they also make solid mounts that don't flex and shake the hell out of the car for those with higher performance needs.
Is this in addition to the regular STi mounts? I may need to look into that!

·
Registered
139 Posts
they're not sti made that i know of. it would probably be a custom job meant for high stress environments such as drag racing or rally. you could try checking with prodrive or visit your next local rally and ask the manufacture sponsered teams about them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you were really concerned about the motor losing some of that torque to shitty mounts you could also look into getting one of the little shock/dampener things that everyone is going to in Japan to help reduce the engine movement. Personally I don't see how the boxer design is losing that much movement since it doesn't move around nearly as much as say a standard horizontally opposed engine like in the Mitsubishis.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
RotarFreak said:
So i just got done...
...and after i wake up i am gonna take the car for the test drive.

Jealous? :stinky:
Hey, how was your drive? I have my tranny and engine mounts in my house. They are the Sti *Group N* mounts that are made of metal (not the rubber Sti ones either). Mine were from www.vtcar.com for a package price of $155. I got mine because I read one too many review on them and just have to get them.

How did you deal with the engine up an inch? I just hope that's not a concern for me when I do mine, but then again, I don't have a swap like you do. :boxer: Did you detach the stock pitch stop mount completely? Could that be loosened just enough to have the engine raised a few inches, but not be fully detached with the engine? If you left that attached, would your engine still have moved up that inch? I don't need to be pushing the 500 lb motor and 300 lb tranny around from under the car. Over at my brother's place, the parking lot has a downhill slope, so I'm gonna put ramps so the car could be more even at all for wheels. Then again, it's winter here in Minnesota. Even two hours is too much. I really need to get off my ass. :boom:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Do this in a garage. You'll be much happier than freezing your ass of outside dealing with the tight quarters and feeble functionality of your frozen digits!

You got solid mounts made by STi? Hmmmm....this would be SCCA legal according to the rules (if my brain is working right). I'm pleased with the hardened rubber mounts in our 98RS. The rumbling at idle is just enough to remind us that they are there, and the launches just make us grin that much more. I'm not sure how a knock sensor would react to solid mounts though. You're going to have NVH for sure. Hopefully it won't be too much to deal with on the street.

Please post results of the install....along with pics of the mounts themselves.:D

·
General pain in the ass
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zeorymer said:
Wait... When did you get back into an RS? :confused:
well, i no longer have RS, i have an L.. YEA BABY!!! ... I dont really know what to call it yet but i already whopped 2 RSs and 1 WRX :D :D (he chased me for 3 blocks wanting a rematch)... i converted a fwd 1.8 auto (obd1) or awd 2.5 5 speed (obd) with full time job took me ~4 month, 99% work done outside.

What's that? \/
N/A
little shock/dampener things that everyone is going to in Japan to help reduce the engine movement. Do you happen to have a link?

·
General pain in the ass
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: YAY!!! Finnaly installed STI mounts in

kickin_81 said:
Hey, how was your drive? I have my tranny and engine mounts in my house. They are the Sti *Group N* mounts that are made of metal (not the rubber Sti ones either). Mine were from www.vtcar.com for a package price of $155. I got mine because I read one too many review on them and just have to get them.

Engine idles good, but the car shakes sometimes, and i dont really like that, but i heard other peoples cars dont shake and they love the smoother idle so maybe that's just me. :run:

How did you deal with the engine up an inch?

I strapped it to engine lift and rased it, an inch, without removing any of the wires. I put a jack with a block of wood under tranny to lift that. ...Later i put the front of the car on 2 bricks, strapped back of tranny to the lift ...any way, you wont have to do that.

Did you detach the stock pitch stop mount completely?
No, didnt even touch it.

I don't need to be pushing the 500 lb motor and 300 lb tranny around from under the car.

COME ON PUSSY!!! It's a good work out, but you wanna be lazy just use a long piece of something that does not break (broom WILL NOT WORK! :rolleyes:), with one end in ground, and other pushing against engine. Then take a socket extention, place it on metal stud of the mount (that's under the engine) and give it a couple of light hits to get that last Millimeter in. I didnt use screw driver cause i didnt wanna damage thread.

My drive was great, i thought it was thirsday, it was in fact friday, so as soon as i woke up (2pm) i drove to canada...overall put ~1k miles on the car, and I feel it's a lot more responcive.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
RotarFreak said:
well, i no longer have RS, i have an L.. YEA BABY!!! ... I dont really know what to call it yet but i already whopped 2 RSs and 1 WRX :D :D (he chased me for 3 blocks wanting a rematch)... i converted a fwd 1.8 auto (obd1) or awd 2.5 5 speed (obd) with full time job took me ~4 month, 99% work done outside.

What's that? \/
See my sig line! That's what I'm calling mine anyway!

The damper isn't new. Domestic cars have had them for decades. Bobble strut is how they're known in the FWDMopar community.

Before the damper, folks used chain bolted from the head to the frame rail. Different way to get the same effect, that's all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts