Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see how many people have run any xxr wheels, what kinda abuse its been through and how they hold up?

Im looking into a new set a wheels/tires gonna go a bit wider thinking a 17x9.75 +25 xxr 530 with a 275/40 tire, gonna run flares and the rim is a 5x100 and 5x114.3 so i can upgrade to sti if the 5x100 bearings wear quickly. They seem very well priced, to the point to make me skeptical..

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,731 Posts
Run 3 seasons on my 527's racing.
Haven't had a problem.

Friend did bend one and cracked another on the track.

For the price they work great for DD or weekend warrior

Depends on your needs for rims

Paul.

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5 RS Coupe
11 Posts
The wheels are great for a DD and autoX. I've had a set of 002 in 15x8 with stretched 205s on my 88 BMW 325i Convertible for 4 years now. They've held up great to lots of powerslides, AutoX events, and fun canyon/mountain runs.

I wouldn't use them for serious wheel to wheel racing or if you aggressively hit the curbs at the track, but they are great if you take care of them.

nlmotoring.com has some pretty awesome prices. I've seen them run 25% off sales which is pretty rad.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
not a track worthy wheel particularly with r compounds, but they have some clean designs and aggressive sizes

a 5x114 swap is not the cheapest conversion to do by any means - alot of that $ could be put towards a better quality wheel, depending on your needs/wants/uses

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
I bought a set and sold them just as quickly...

My real only concern is they are cast... not forged. Cheap yes. DD worthy yes. But planning on running time attack I'd like to talk to a company about wheels and have them know whether its powder coated or painted...

Rota's would be on my list other than xxr just hence the fact that Rota has their own race team.

Other than that I'd spend money (if you have it) on enkei or volk and be done with wheels

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rfp1 is about twice as much per rim, I'm mainly a spirited daily driver with an occasional autox/ grip event etc. with the xxr rims and tires I'd probably be in about 1500 which is right around my goal.

I'm also kind of bored of rpf1s

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
The rfp1 is about twice as much per rim, I'm mainly a spirited daily driver with an occasional autox/ grip event etc. with the xxr rims and tires I'd probably be in about 1500 which is right around my goal.

I'm also kind of bored of rpf1s
Grids? You are really only spending 100$ more on a better quality...

You have so many options out there. The main key to this is cast vs forged.

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,659 Posts
I've had my 527's for a few years and have no complaints. I have tracked them and put a ton of miles on them as a DD.

Last year, I tech didn't tighten my lugs after a rotate and a wheel came off at about 65. The wheel went on to hit the center median, popped up a solid 20 ft, came down and hit an oncoming truck and took the front end out/radiator, and also went through a civics windshield before coming to a halt. The rim itself had some curbage but overall I'm still using the rim and it's not bent or cracked so I give them a thumbs up!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Yep, it hit the top corner and I'm sure scared the crap out them but thank God no one was injured.

But considering the speeds that the rim was going while hitting the ground, median, and other cars... I def don't count out the strength. Sure it's not a forged rim but for the weekend warrior that wants rims and tires for 1k, why not? You're going to have to spend that on rims alone on most cases. Race rims get destroyed just as well when put to the test, nothing is indestructible.

My $100 rim got curbed that day and I was fine. I would have been pretty destroyed if my 600-800 rim was damaged. Dd=no big deal on cheaper rims.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just cant see myself in a situation where a cast rim would break and a forged wouldnt. ive already bumped a couple curbs with my stock wheels but havent done any damage most likely since it never hit the rim just tire.

i plan on running as meaty a tire as i can, i really dont like the flush/stretched thing and id go 16 if i could, but theres not really any options for tires on a 16 past 235. Theres been a few times where ive hit stuff without damage and assumed no damage came from having a bit more tire.

another thing that pops to mind is if i do get a forged rim whats the weakest link? will the rim bend before any suspension pieces do?

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,731 Posts
Thin spokes are usually the culprit. Car takes more stress the wider and sticker the tire gets.

They fit my budget and i bought the size i needed for the same price i sold my oz rims for. Plus I love the concave of this size:)

Paul.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
not a track worthy wheel particularly with r compounds, but they have some clean designs and aggressive sizes

a 5x114 swap is not the cheapest conversion to do by any means - alot of that $ could be put towards a better quality wheel, depending on your needs/wants/uses

I think this depends on your level of competion. I've run mine For 3 seasons at the track almost every weekend and as a dd did and no issues. My boss runs them for the past 4 and his is a purpose built track car. Both of us run nasa time trials in the Midwest. both of us run a6

yes there is way superior wheels out there but iI feel these are the best bang for the buck.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
there is no predicting what will happen for every given situation, because your speed, the angle of the object you hit, and in particular your tire, determines how well the wheel itself responds

but in the most general sense, lb for lb, a typical forged wheel far exceeds anything cast - there is far less porosity, which means alot more strength. This also means you can machine the spokes far thinner than they otherwise would have to be in an equivalent cast wheel. There are cast wheels that begin to approach some forging processes as far as strength, like any other production techniques, they are not all created equal

Ultimately it comes down to budget. The average guy looking for $150/ea wheels isn't going to also consider a forged wheel at 6-5x the cost

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
I think this depends on your level of competion. I've run mine For 3 seasons at the track almost every weekend and as a dd did and no issues. My boss runs them for the past 4 and his is a purpose built track car. Both of us run nasa time trials in the Midwest. both of us run a6

yes there is way superior wheels out there but iI feel these are the best bang for the buck.
def good to know - always pays to get a variety of experiences. Esp when tracking, because so many different variables come into play

Ive seen a half dozen so far complete **** the bed, on a few different kinds of cars, running as low as an R888 and as high as as R6's - 4 of the cars I know first hand, and all run quite a stiff spring, so that is absolutely a contributing factor.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah this is just my daily driver car, and i dont plan on running to hardcore of a suspension setup especially with how crappy the roads are around me.

any track days/ autox would be just for fun and i try to not get to competitive when its all for SnG's in the end.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Well there have been a ton of people's reviews, so weigh both and go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts