Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have two firewalls and I think a Static Route is being able to connect the two of them together like they were one, so to speak. Is that right?

If it is, then how the hell to I get it to work?

H

·
0 Posts
static route is just that... a static route. Like a static IP, which never changes, the static route never changes. You'd have to tell your boxes that the one only talks to the inside world, and the other, and the other only talks to the outside world and the first.

But since you wouldn't have any options as far as how they'd talk back and forth to eachother, it would be static anyway.

The only way it would be non-static is if somehow they were able to use a couple of hubs/routers/etc to send the signal around before talking to eachother.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
horatio has it nailed...in visual terms in can be similar to this.

destination and subnet:gateway:interface
0.0.0.0/24:0.0.0.1:eth0

what kind of device are you putting this on?

you probably could use dynamic routes.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I am still lost. But here is the setup - help me out:

• Cable modem comes in from the outside world
  • Cat5 goes to a 5 port switch
  • 2 Cat5's go out to two identical Sonicwall SOHO's (parallel connection)
  • SOHO one has my web, mail, and DNS servers behind it
  • SOHO two has my personal computers behind it
Before, I had everything behind one firewall. And I could transfer data between the computers easily. Now, of course, I can't, because each SOHO has it's own external IP address (like 12.255.182.69 for #1 and 12.253.255.74 for #2) and they don't talk to each other.

So is a static route used to connect to two of them together like they were "one" network?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heh, I'm setting up a could of SOHO at one of our offices next week; however they will be using VPN to connect over a campus network.

First, assuming you are using NAT, you will want two seperate network ID's behind each firewall.

Servers: 192.168.10.x
PCs: 192.168.11.x

On the PC SOHO add a route for:
Destination - 192.168.10.0
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 12.255.182.69
Interface - WAN (I think that's wha the SOHO calls it)

On the Server SOHO:
Destination - 192.168.11.0
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 12.253.255.74
Interface - WAN (I think that's wha the SOHO calls it)

You will also have to configure the firewalls to allow traffic from each remote subnet to pass through. You will also need a WINS server or configure lmhosts files for Netbios to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts