Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a speed sensor from a manual transmission subaru, was looking for the two pin type but it seems those don't exist that have the screw in base. I'm now going to shoot for the three pin type. I would also like as much of its plug in harness as possible if you can get that as well. Please let me know if you have one in good shape, shipped to 70605. Pm your offer please, thanks. :)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered one on fleabay, couldn't wait around. Hopefully its the right type because they want a vin and that's not going to help when I don't have the vin for the car the transmission came from. If its wrong I'll just have to try and sell it. 85082AE00A is what I bought. The 98 rs supposedly uses a two pin and the 99+ supposedly uses a three pin. I'll post what I recieve, they wouldn't tell me how many pins the sensor had. :unamused:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I just ordered one on fleabay, couldn't wait around. Hopefully its the right type because they want a vin and that's not going to help when I don't have the vin for the car the transmission came from. If its wrong I'll just have to try and sell it. 85082AE00A is what I bought. The 98 rs supposedly uses a two pin and the 99+ supposedly uses a three pin. I'll post what I recieve, they wouldn't tell me how many pins the sensor had. :unamused:
Yes, that's correct. The 98 and 99+ sensors are totally different, FYI. It's not the number of pins that counts, it's what's inside. The 98 VSS just sends a signal to the cluster, which calculates speed. The 99+ up VSS calculates speed and sends the signal from there to the cluster and ECU.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the sensor today and its a three pin. I have to get the plug with some harness now to try and run it into the car. If anyone can get the harness from a wrecked vss impreza I'd appreciate it.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
/\ Lol, that's usually what happens after I buy a part or install something incorrectly. I may try and use the one I have first, just need the plug and some of the harness. Searching the subaru parts site only yielded a $1XX sensor for me and it wasn't clear whether it was the correct part... no illustration. The dealers haven't been helpful either. It doesn't help that I have to call, none are local.

85082AC012 is what you need. sorry it took me so long to find it
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impr...ctronic/electrical_parts_body/illustration_3/

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
yeah the one you need is $106 and the one you bought is only $40
good news though, most/all of the 95-98 2nd generation legacy models use the same 2-wire as the 98 impreza rs / 98 forester
i could probably get you one but it would cost at least $60 for my time/effort and cost of parts and shipping

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So apparently the two wire sensor system just uses a magnetic hall effect sensor that sends a pulse signal (like the one in the cable style speedo) and then the speedometer internal circuit converts that pulse into a smooth voltage to drive the speedometer needle motor. So that must mean the three wire sensor has a ground in, 12v+ in, and a smooth signal out instead of a pulsed out? It would just drive the speedometer motor directly? If that is the case the three wire one I have totally wouldn't work, crapola. Maybe I'll get the chance to pick one up at a dealer when I'm in Houston for classes. Hmm, I could rig an old style speedo behind the dash and use its pulsed output to drive my electric one until then. :lol:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
So apparently the two wire sensor system just uses a magnetic hall effect sensor that sends a pulse signal (like the one in the cable style speedo) and then the speedometer internal circuit converts that pulse into a smooth voltage to drive the speedometer needle motor. So that must mean the three wire sensor has a ground in, 12v+ in, and a smooth signal out instead of a pulsed out? It would just drive the speedometer motor directly? If that is the case the three wire one I have totally wouldn't work, crapola. Maybe I'll get the chance to pick one up at a dealer when I'm in Houston for classes. Hmm, I could rig an old style speedo behind the dash and use its pulsed output to drive my electric one until then. :lol:
What cluster are you using?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its an EDM cluster I bought from a member. It doesn't have the built in buzzer/chime so I swapped the one from a junk cluster in. The speedometer signal is one input so I will tie the output of the sensor into that and the other end of the sensor will either be grounded at the cluster or 12v at the cluster if the ground doesn't work. All of the other pins are the same as usdm as far as location. A few of the bulbs are different sizes. I also plan on using the location for dccd as my new knock sensor led location. Going to mount them in the holes where the dccd bulbs would go. Will post pics

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Still dealing with this issue. The sensor recommended by Atlas appears to be incompatible with this cluster, it causes the speed to show exactly double. There is also no output from the cluster to send a signal to the ecu for cruise control and speed monitoring like the cable cluster had. This edm cluster has an odometer output but sends no signal when driving. I've already tried a couple of variations of wiring and nothing will make the speed accurate or allow the ecu to perform cruise function. Also since there is no speed signal for the ecu, the car will randomly get a cel for 33 (speed sensor) and the car will be in limp mode which limits it to 4500rpm. It also has another problem that seems to be related where the car will stall for a couple of seconds and then fire right back up (like fuel cut) when driving constantly at 70mph. Didn't know about this until going on a trip yesterday and having it happen every 10-15 miles. Weird thing is this didn't cause a cel. I checked wiring today and also fuel pressure while on a test trip. The fuel pressure never dropped when this was happening so it wasn't the pump. I then hit the pedal pretty hard when turning back around and getting on the freeway and the cel for 33 kicked on. On the trip back home the car never stalled... :confused:

I've decided to order another three wire sensor and try and integrate it since the two wire sensor isn't working. It apparently sends double the number of needed pulses. Hopefully I can get the pinout for the three wire sensor to be able to know how to route it.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ancient bump because I never posted the solution... the two wire sensor did not work. I had to re-buy another $40 three wire and the cluster worked perfectly. Of course this is only a good idea for track cars, lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts