Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The design I have is the plastic or aluminum with inset phillips. I'd prefer allens however, the phillips are incredibly easy to strip without an impact driver.

·
Registered
'00 RS EG33, '05 STI, '92 SVX
135 Posts
Word of caution, the stainless allens are even worse.

You might be using the wrong size bit in your impact driver if they're stripping. I rarely gall a head when taking out the phillips headed screws.

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the proper bit, it didn't come with the driver. I'm talking trying to take them out with just the philips screwdriver bit and a ratchet. If you don't add impact, the heads can easily strip even with the right size bits. The screw heads are simply too soft.

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Just replaced this on an EJ25D block, thinking ahead I bought all new screws (phillips head) but they actually unscrewed easily from the block and were reusuable, so I have a set of new screws if you need them

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just replaced this on an EJ25D block, thinking ahead I bought all new screws (phillips head) but they actually unscrewed easily from the block and were reusuable, so I have a set of new screws if you need them
I'll let you know, thanks!

After I gave up and bought the impact driver, I haven't had a problem with them. The oil pump was the biggest problem, which I think the screws may be tighter, I don't know for sure. I messed one head up because of it. But the impact driver fixed all of it. I think the aluminum galls the threads so impacting should break things loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts