Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the process of replacing the fuel tank on my daughter's 97 L Wagon. Old tank is out and I'm replacing bushings, clamps, rusted hardware, etc. The head of the bolt that secures the lateral links to the driver hub / axle housing sheared off and the long bolt seems to be totally fused in the hub. The nut toward the front of the assembly is off. I've been massaging, heating, pounding, twisting on this thing for days and am over it at this point. I have no hope for the passenger side as it's in similar shape. Does anyone have a set of axle housings lying around that they may want to sell so I can get this thing out of my garage and get to work on my RS? I'm really looking for housings that are free of the maligned long bolt or ones that aren't fused like mine. I'll take mine to a machine shop to see if they can be pressed out, but not too hopeful on that. I live in the northeast. The cost of these new from a dealer is outlandish and I have been unsuccessful thus far locating a "cost effective" alternative - ebay, car-part, etc. Let me know what ya got. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
By axle housing, do you mean the entire hub? Ive got a spare set of all four hubs i could part with. I'm in NJ 07457

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what Suby parts sites describe it as. It's the big hunk of metal that houses the wheel bearing & CV axle, that the strut assemblies and lateral links all bolt to.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
89 Posts
Look for junkyards in your area. Lots of good parts for our gen subaru's in junkyards these days.

If you're in PA, I'll have both rear drums if you want them. They should be in pretty good condition (west coast car)

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only problem with pick n pull, which I definitely frequent, is that everything is as rusty as the car I'm trying to fix so in this case it would sort of defeat the purpose - the same bolt is just gonna be as shitty and fused as the one I broke and the other one I can't get out...

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
89 Posts
I know the exact bolt you're talking about. Again, where are you located? I have a pair of rear hubs/drums that I could literally give you. lol Nothing wrong with them, I'm just doing a disc swap

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ive got a set of all four hubs with disc brakes from a 2.5RS, Id be willing to part with them pretty cheaply if you want. No rust that I saw really anywhere, always kept indoors

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm interested - This is my daughter's car. I need to read up on what is involved in the conversion and what all else I would need to source to complete it.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive got a set of all four hubs with disc brakes from a 2.5RS, Id be willing to part with them pretty cheaply if you want. No rust that I saw really anywhere, always kept indoors

In order to install the RS calipers, obviously I need the rear hubs / knuckles, wheel bearing and seal refresh, appropriate rotors, pads, and shoes. Can anyone tell me, if they already know off the top of their respective heads, if I can use the existing parking brake cable? Do I need to source a different brake master cylinder or ABS module or can I just use all the existing hardware that's already in the car? Are the existing lateral links and trailing arms the same or do any of those components need to to be swapped as well. I will be using the "search" function to attempt to get info. Just thought I'd ask here before I jump down a rabbit hole. I'm not lazy - just really wanna get this thing back together and on the road for my "little one.' hanks in advance for any input anyone feels like sharing.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,239 Posts
I remember the drum ebrake cables (there are 2) being too short and I had to get disc brake ones. You don't need to change brake master cylinder or abs module or lateral links or trailing arms. I did change out my proportioning valve to one from a disc brake car. 98-01 2.5 RS or 98-01ish Forester. Until I swapped that out, the rear brakes locked up first and made for some spicy braking, especially around corners. I used the opportunity to switch to braided stainless steel brake lines, so I'm unsure if the drum brake lines work (probably wont).

Edit, I removed the part about needing axles, cause I believe the disc and drum hubs kept the same splines.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was incorrect about the car having ABS - there's no module in the engine bay. Probably should have verified before I posted. I searched through some older L brake upgrades. If upgrading to the 98-01 RS rear calipers, consensus seems to be to use a V1-V4 STi type RA proportioning valve for a non-ABS car to ensure braking components function properly. Part number is 27673FA001. So, in theory, in order for this to work I need RS hubs, calipers, rotors, pads, e-brake assembly, e brake cable, and the RA proportioning valve to just upgrade the rear calipers. Can anyone confirm that my info is correct?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,239 Posts
Yes. Doesn't have to be RS hubs though. Could come from a 90-99 Legacy (all models), 98-02 Forester or 93-07 Impreza non turbo or 02-05 WRX.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts