Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback Sport, 2.2L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a set of 16" split spoke WRX wheels for my '99 OBS, and the wheels fit fine, but looks like the stock studs are way too short (the stock open end lug nuts won't even thread on all the way). I've tried searching on this across multiple forums, but I can't seem to locate anyone who had a similar issue. Most people say that the WRX wheels should bolt right up....any thoughts on extended studs? Is this a known issue or is there something funky going on with my car?

Thanks in advance!

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
I just bolted a set of 02-04 WRX wheels to a MY99 Subaru like, two weeks ago. On my WRX, the open lugnuts I think did not have any thread exposed after threading the lugnut all the way on. In fact, I do believe it was just a little short of sitting flush with the lugnut.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Sport, 2.2L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get some pics up this afternoon...it's very strange indeed. I'm not a total newb when it comes to working on cars either (I rebuilt the EJ22 in this last year). :lol:

I bought the car ~1.5 years ago, so it's possible the previous owner did some funky things.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Sport, 2.2L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys, check this out. Another data point--I replaced my rear spindles (pulled from a Subaru Forester) ~8 months ago because my bearing was crapping out, and the front/rear studs are the same length, so it's unlikely that both that random Forester and my front studs were replaced with shorter/wimpy studs.

Here's the stock wheel/lugs/nuts:

Here's the WRX wheel installed, the lug is not torqued down, but at most it would turn about 1/2 turn after torquing:

And it does appear to be sitting flush, here's a shot from inside the spoke (rusty part is back of the wheel), and the black part it's mated flush to is the rear drum cover:

With all of this...ideas? Is the stud length actually fine, and I'm being too picky?

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
didnt even notice the lug nut was on the bottom one. Thats how my lug nuts look too on my RS 6 spokes. You're fine.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
You're good. Mine look the same and I've autocrossed it for 4 years now without incident. I believe my stock (alloy) wheels were exactly the same. It just looks like the steel wheels are thinner.

You shouldn't need extended studs unless you're using tires wider than 215mm (that's when they start to rub the rear struts and you'll need spacers).

·
Registered
1999 Outback Sport, 2.2L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet, you guys rock! I guess I was just being paranoid. I've never seen that before on other cars, but in any case I'm going to run stock tire sizes for now, so wont have an issue with rubbing.

Now...I can focus my attention on rebuilding some legacy 2-pot calipers and then getting on the track!

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
Just so you know..... Your stock steelies are much thinner where the studs go through. The alloys are thicker.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Sport, 2.2L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, definitely noticed that these are much thicker. Just wasn't sure about the situation regarding if my car was some strange anomaly, or whether others here have made an adjustment for running longer studs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.