Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 impreza rsti and 02 xterra
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the title says it all, i have a jdm version 1 complete motor and the shop left me the clutch with it (almost new) I was wondering if it is pull or push? (there was the original trANNY on it). i have both a brighton 3.9 and rs 4.11 to bolt up to this will the clutch work with either and is there any way to make them work if not? my brigton is cable clutch and i am converting to hydro clutch.

John

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
the clutch follows the transmission, if you are doing a hydro clutch swap, you should be ok if it came off a car with hyrdo clutch. i belive all turbo wrx/sti models came with a hydro clutch. i did an 02 wrx drivetrain swap into my 96L wagon and the hydro clutch/brake pedals pretty much bolted right up.
i have a '98 v4 ej20k sti motor/trans and it was a hydro clutch on that setup...

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
that WRX tranny will be a pull type no doubt. A pull type will generally have a bearing stuck on the pressure plate if they didn't throw the throwout bearing away. A push type the throwout brearing isn't on the pressure plate.

That WRX tranny's gearing will be VERY similar to the '02+ 2.5RS except 5th gear is shorter than the 2.5RS.

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
that WRX tranny will be a pull type no doubt. A pull type will generally have a bearing stuck on the pressure plate if they didn't throw the throwout bearing away. A push type the throwout brearing isn't on the pressure plate.

That WRX tranny's gearing will be VERY similar to the '02+ 2.5RS except 5th gear is shorter than the 2.5RS.
your saying that older wrx's had pull type clutches? i have a jdm v4 trans and its definately a push type clutch. i think you have it backwards, the push type clutch has the throwout bearing attached to the pressure plate, while on the pull type, its not attached...

i do clutch jobs all the time and have done a couple drivetrain swaps as well...

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
your saying that older wrx's had pull type clutches? i have a jdm v4 trans and its definately a push type clutch. i think you have it backwards, the push type clutch has the throwout bearing attached to the pressure plate, while on the pull type, its not attached...

i do clutch jobs all the time and have done a couple drivetrain swaps as well...
All the turbo models are PULL-TYPE pressureplates excluding the '06+ WRX/'05+ LGT. Only the NA's are push-type.

Hummm.... I gets calls to do clutch installs on Imprezas, Legacys, WRXs, STi's...... I must be wrong to tell the guys to buy a Pull-Type WRX clutch for their '06 WRX???

http://www.rjes.com/html/clutch_types.html

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
All the turbo models are PULL-TYPE pressureplates excluding the '06+ WRX/'05+ LGT. Only the NA's are push-type.

Hummm.... I gets calls to do clutch installs on Imprezas, Legacys, WRXs, STi's...... I must be wrong to tell the guys to buy a Pull-Type WRX clutch for their '06 WRX???

http://www.rjes.com/html/clutch_types.html
aah, i see. i was looking at the push/pull action from the top of the release fork, not the action at the pressure plate. the terminolgy is kinda confusing i guess, cuz the push type clutch has a cable that pulls the arm while a pull type clutch uses the slave cylinder to push the arm. either way i dont use push or pull terminology when telling people what clutch to buy, i just tell them to buy a clutch for the correct year and model of their car...:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts