Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black 06 wrx swap
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a brand new oem gasket on the driver side of my ej255. I did the gasket the spark plug gasket and the half moons. I used fujibond to seal it according to the fsm. I haven't started the car yet and it's been a week since I changed it. It has a small amount of oil at the bottom at the end of the cam cover, I wiped it off and it comes back a few hours later.

I don't understand how it's leaking there should be no oil there since the car hasn't started yet. I cleaned the mating surface and torque the bolts to 4.8 ftlb in order. I don't understand this. Any idea's? Does the car need to heat cycle to full seal it?

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
Are you sure the gasket surfaces were 100% dry and and free of oil? Did you use enough of the fujibond? Too light and too much can create leaks or other issues. Unfortunately if it leaking now, it won't get better on its own, even with a heat cycle.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure the gasket surfaces were 100% dry and and free of oil? Did you use enough of the fujibond? Too light and too much can create leaks or other issues. Unfortunately if it leaking now, it won't get better on its own, even with a heat cycle.
It was 100% dry and clean. I used a small bead it spreaded out I can see a small amount of it. Only see oil in that one spot.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just sprayed some brake clean on a rag and wiped all the oil under the head and that area. I'm going to check it in a day or two. Maybe I should stayed with rtv black that I usually use instead of fujibond never had a issue with it. Do you think I could seal it without removing the cover temporary.

I tried seeing if somehow the bolts were loose. They were fully tightened if I tried to make them tighter I would break the bolts which is no good.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked today and there was a small amount of oil residue.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
wasnt the red anerobic fujibond was it?

i just use regular black rtv there, like inside each corner and a lil across the tops on the half moons in the back

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
I've never tried the fujibond so i don't have any experience with it. I also generally stick to the black rtv or toyota fipg.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
621 Posts
I've had this issue before because I didn't allow it to set long enough before spinning the engine over to do the other side. Residual oil somewhere in there ran down to the gasket and got under the sealant before it dried. After that surfaces have to be recleaned and sealant reapplied.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had this issue before because I didn't allow it to set long enough before spinning the engine over to do the other side. Residual oil somewhere in there ran down to the gasket and got under the sealant before it dried. After that surfaces have to be recleaned and sealant reapplied.
I haven't started yet. I installed it two weeks ago when the engine was out. I used brake clean sprayed on a blue shop rag to clean the oil off the wiped it dry with another one then I put the sealant on the block then put the cover on and torqued to spec. An hour later I tried to install the engine but it started down pouring and I couldn't get the motor go on the trans fully. I took it back out and covered it with a tarp for a week and my father helped me install the engine, It turned up I had two sets of dowl pins preventing the engine for seating.

I was tighting the engine mounts and noticed the oil.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,311 Posts
Only use Subaru OEM gaskets, did yours actually come from a Subaru dealer and come in sealed bags with part numbers? Aftermarkets can be too thin and will angle a little and not press firmly to keep the oil in. You only need sealant where the gasket hits the cam towers on each corner, nowhere else. Aftermarket rubber gaskets suck balls and aren't worth the risk that they may "work" correctly. If yours were actually subaru, I'm not sure how you could have a leak, short of a small installation error. Their gasket qc is top notch.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only use Subaru OEM gaskets, did yours actually come from a Subaru dealer and come in sealed bags with part numbers? Aftermarkets can be too thin and will angle a little and not press firmly to keep the oil in. You only need sealant where the gasket hits the cam towers on each corner, nowhere else. Aftermarket rubber gaskets suck balls and aren't worth the risk that they may "work" correctly. If yours were actually subaru, I'm not sure how you could have a leak, short of a small installation error. Their gasket qc is top notch.
I bought all the parts (gaskets,bolts etc) from my local dealer.

This is the only spot it's leaking from. It seems like it's coming from the edge of the cam cover.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally started the car. It's leaking all along the bottom of the cover. I thought oem gaskets were supposed to be one ones that don't leak.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
621 Posts
When I said 'spinning the motor over', I meant rotating the whole block on the stand, not like starting it up. I think that led to residual oil getting to the ultra gray before it cured.

I've also been toying with the idea of machining a little off the shoulders of the valve cover bolts so they will squeeze the gasket a little more. Every one I've touched has leaked, at this point I don't think it's me...

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I said 'spinning the motor over', I meant rotating the whole block on the stand, not like starting it up. I think that led to residual oil getting to the ultra gray before it cured.

I've also been toying with the idea of machining a little off the shoulders of the valve cover bolts so they will squeeze the gasket a little more. Every one I've touched has leaked, at this point I don't think it's me...

Good luck and keep us posted.
No I just finished the swap and started the car up. I never took the cover back off to redo them again because it stopped leaking but now after driving the car it's leaking again. The engine was sitting for a year before I did the gasket before. No oil leaked out while changing it. I took the cover off ,cleaned the gasket surface with a plastic scraper then I put brake clean on a rag to clean it and wiped it dry. The surface was completely free of any oil residue when I put the rtv and gasket on.

I don't understand why it's leaking I used oem gaskets (from the dealer) they weren't supposed to be leaking.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
621 Posts
I'd let it sit till it stops leaking again, clean the area best I could, and glob on some more goop. Make it ugly, no one's gonna see it. It might work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts