Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting mixed messages and would like to clear up some things. I think I remember someone doing this before, but I'll just make sure. This is a list of the parts needed that I originally though I would need; however, I found that the gentleman at Unique Motorsports has different list. Will this work?...

-WRX turbo

-WRX intercooler

-WRX fuel pump

-WRX crossmember

-Oil lines

-WRX ECU

-WRX Up pipe

-WRX Down pipe

-WRX intake manifold

·
Registered
MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,605 Posts
did you mean intake stuff up to not including TB? I guess that's about right. what psi are you running? I assum this is going to go onto a 2.5L correct? if yes, stock wrx turbo would be too small starting at certian psi (around 4?). good luck!

·
Registered
MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,605 Posts
oh i don't know how the wrx ecu would work. you might have to do some rewiring with the connector(s).... oh... boost controller?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, it would be going on to a 2001 2.5RS. I would think that the stock Rex turbo should be more than sufficent because it would be powering a 2.5 instead of a 2.0, and I would only want to run stock boost anyway. I also wonder if you could get away with no engine management, just use a larger fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Wouldn't that allow you to just eyeball a lean/rich gauge and just make sure it's on the rich side? Wouldn't that be enough to keep it from blowing up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on guys, I know a few of you on here did something very similar to this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm doing this also. You won't need the wrx ecu unless you're gonna put the 2.0L wrx engine into your RS.

I would think that the turbo would be fine for anything under about 8 psi. I don't have any proof of this but I would imagine that running the same turbo at half the boost pressure with another 1/2 liter of engine, would be fine. It would also be simple enough to upgrade to an IHI VF series turbo.

Also, if you use the WRX exhaust manifolds, you'll need a waterpump & thermostat housing from a WRX or Legacy turbo.

The intake manifold won't line up with the 2.5L heads, at least thats what i've read on NASIOC. It makes sense. I don't think you'd have any good reason to replace it anyway. If intercooler clearance is your concern, just cut a little off the neck of the WRX intercooler and it'll fit fine.

·
Registered
1999 RS Coupe Aspen White
313 Posts
yeah just cut the intercooler outlet...

that joins the throttle body...cut about half an inch and you should have enough clearance from the firewall.

I just did this to my WRX intercooler about two months ago and no sign of hitting the firewall, plus the intercooler inlets on the underside of the intercooler now clear fine....and you will not need the WRX Intake manifold....

Hope this helps,

Kevin

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
add injectors, and if you do use the WRX ECU you'll need the coil-on-plug setup from a WRX. You will need to get the whole wiring harness, not just the ECU... way to big of a PITA if you ask me. You're better off ditching the manifold (won't fit), the ECU, adding either the WRX exhaust manifold/x-member/water pump/thermo or saying screw it and getting Unique Motorsports to get you a VF series up-pipe and down-pipe.

R

·
0 Posts
WRX ecu will not work on 2.5rs , wiring is different , sensors different. coil on plug set up will not work on gen2 2.5. Does any one have cost est on this stuff(hard parts: fuel pumps/injectors/pressure regulators/pipes/turbo/intercooler/crossmsmbers/water pump...electronics/time for installation). There is a bolt on, no lag turbo kit from AVO. See this month's TURBO Magazine. Can be installed in a weekend. Full electronics included. cost is $4180 on this AVO kit. see the dyno results. ([email protected]) might be easier to get the kit.

sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.5 RS ECM DOES NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT TIMING CONTROL AND FUEL ENRICHMENT TO SUPPORT A TURBO INSTALL I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY IT JUST DOESN'T WORK ALL THAT GOOD AND THE HORSEPOWER, TORQUE AND LONGEVITY OF THE ENGINE SUFFER. AND THE WRX ECM WOULD REQUIRE THE ENTIRE WRX HARNESS HUGE PITA. BUY A TURBO KIT FOR THE 2.5 MADE FOR THE 2.5, OR BUY AN EJ20 TURBO MOTOR AND HAVE SOMEONE TAILOR A MANAGEMENT SYSTEM TO SUIT YOU. OH YEAH ALSO BE PREPARED TO BUY A GOOD CLUTCH AND GEARSET BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED THEM!!!!!! I KERPLANGED SECOND GEAR ON MY N/A 2.5 BEFORE I INSTALLED MY TURBO MOTOR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts