Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might've been asked before, but here we go...

Just curious, would the wrx turbo td04..blah blah whatever be able provide enough airflow @ 5psi of boost for the ej25?

-vic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, so I was told that this turbo is a bit bigger than the legacy turbo, correct? So if people are using the legacy turbos on their RS's, the wrx turbos should do fine, right?

-vic

·
Registered
852 Posts
The WRX should work fine if you can get the WRX OEM Up/Down Pipes to fit into your RS (or have custom one's made). I think that there are several people undertaking this type of project. As far as 5 psi, you would need to get some type of new wastegate, since the spring in the TD04 is set for something around 14 psi. The WRX turbo is probably a little bigger than the Legacy RHB5, but like the Legacy turbo, you will probably run out of steam in the upper RPM range.

Graham

·
Registered
358 Posts
get a manual boost controller and set it low and you can keep it around 5 psi. as for when you hit the upper range, the turbo will run out of steem so you won't have the top end like with a garrett t3/t4 or vf23.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I heard that the VF2 lost some of its power up top as well. I don't know, I could be wrong, just something I read somewhere.

Graham

·
Registered
No Subie to see here, carry on
109 Posts
The way I see it. If a TD04 from a WRX can flow enough air for 217hp on a WRX, it can flow enough air for 200+ hp on a 2.5. It is a little bigger than the RHB5, I've actually had both installed on my car, but have not run the TD04 since it's not mine.

If you go that route, I have some of the parts you will need on my site. You might also check my turbo parts list for recommended parts for the swap you are considering. A basic setup with this turbo will run around $1500.

I have one up pipe in stock for $200 if you are interested and can have a downpipe in about a week. I'd suggest Jet-Hot coating though.

Chad
93 1.8T
www.uniquemotorsports.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chad, i'll get in touch with you once i've got the money to start collecting the parts i'd need for turbo.

I'm probably gonna get started with gauges and engine/fuel management first, any recommendations? :)

-vic

·
Registered
852 Posts
For my pre-turbo setup I did an ACT clutch (six months ago), suspension (ver. 6 STi), lots of brake work, GReddy 52mm Fuel Pressure, EGT, and BOOST!

Graham

·
Registered
30 Posts
KillerTHC said:
get a manual boost controller and set it low and you can keep it around 5 psi.
I would have to vote against that idea. I know of several people who fragged their motors trying to use a MBC at low boost levels, myself included.

Just let the wastegate regulate boost if you are only running 5psi. No need for anything fancy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts