Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
excately what im wanting info on.05 wrx drivetrain to a stock block?clutch?will this work

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
Not sure why you would want this; the gearing is worse and you're still only a 5-speed. You would need everything from the flywheel back: clutch, transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and such. Subarus are like legos, it will work, but I'm wondering why you ponder this?

·
Registered
566 Posts
im going to build ra gears in it and build the stock block eventually wondering if what clutch i will need rs or wrx.let me elaborate on the questions

[Edit] Shit, sorry... I just accidentally blew out your post while trying to quote it.
Damn moderator buttons :(

I'm really sorry, I'll post my reply below.

-- Dave
[/Edit]

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
1.) Yes, but you will need flywheel/clutch.
2.) WRX tranny = WRX clutch and flywheel, unless a guru states otherwise. This is just from my reading
3.) A guru is needed, again, but I'm fairly sure you just need to wire up the speed sensor from the WRX tranny where the speed sensor from the RS tranny used to run. It's probably a snip & crimp bit. You should be able to run the stock RS ECU until you start modding the block, at which point you'll want to get a standalone.
4.) It should be interchangeable.
5.) WRX would be the best.
6.) I would just go WRX all the way.

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
I'm certainly no guru, so correct me if i'm wrong here, but:
you're going from a push to a pull style clutch transmission, so everything should be wrx compatible (clutch, flywheel, slave/master cylinder)
I'm not sure how much transmissions changed from the 02-04 to the 05, but the 02-04 speed sensor is plug and play with an rs.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we will see ill do a write up once i recieve it. wrx drivetrain swap

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
The above answers about the clutch and flywheel are true. You MUST use the WRX flywheel, clutch, and slave cylinder.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so now my next question is 04-05wrx hubs will bolt in to rs subframes?

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
If you are going to build a tranny, no point in swapping to the WRX casing, as it's the same as the RS casing...

You'll end up wasting money in the conversion and will end up with a final drive you may not want.

I have 04+ wrx gears in my 00 RS casing, keeping the RS final drive.
All of the parts swap over, but building the RS case may be a LOT cheaper for you.

You don't really gain anything, as the WRX casing still doesn't have a front LSD or anything over the RS tranny.

-- Dave

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok well im going to do it as the old transmission is terrible worn and ill build that rs trans with some ppgs instead of the wrx. and save this wrx trans as a back ups beings as tho i have 3 subys. one trans is bound to blow out..;)

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
ok well im going to do it as the old transmission is terrible worn and ill build that rs trans with some ppgs instead of the wrx. and save this wrx trans as a back ups beings as tho i have 3 subys. one trans is bound to blow out..;)
Yeah, the tranny will be just as strong with the built internals no matter what casing you go with.

The only reason to upgrade the rear diff would be if you went with the R180...the wrx and rs rear diff are the same minus the final drive...same weak LSD.

Keeping the RS setup will get you better gearing and will be a LOT cheaper than converting everything over.

PS, an admin can put your original post back, so if you don't want to re-type it, they will fix it for you....

-- Dave

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so i was told this from the F1 guy about the clutch kit. i guess i will have to use an rs flywheel but wrx clutch. anyone beg to differ?im very confused now.

edit: this was in regards to an ej20t flywheel and stage 2 clutch

"Okay, ONLY the Clutch kit from this combo will fit. The flywheel will NOT. The only flywheel we have available for your vehicle is an Exedy OE flywheel $99 (part number: FWSBL01). The ACT Streelight flywheel is $249 (Part number: 600185).

The Clutch alone will be $216.

Regards,

John
Order Processing Manager
Speed Solution International, Inc.
1350 W Lambert Rd, #B
Brea, CA 92821
Phone: 562-905-3233
Fax: 562-905-3238"

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well i guess i am going to believe the person who is selling clutchs then random people on the forum. just from what ive reading id believe person selling them over random opinions

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
good luck. you need to use the wrx clutch and flywheel with the wrx tranny...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you have done this? with a wrx clutch and flywheel mated to a ej253 motor?i am very confused on what people say

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Yes the wrx flywheel will work on the older engines, but you also will need the wrx clutch basket and disc, which will make you need to have the wrx transmission, since the clutch fork setup on the wrx and older transmissions are different. MANY people have swapped wrx transmissions on, MANY.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
you have done this? with a wrx clutch and flywheel mated to a ej253 motor?i am very confused on what people say
I've helped/built a few Frankenstein Subies in my local club... You can put the wrx trans in, but the clutch release on it is a pull style setup. It levers the pressure plate in the complete opposite direction of the RS setup, so you HAVE to use the wrx clutch with it's transmission. Along with the clutch, you have to use the flywheel as well, as the wrx clutch isn't compatible with the RS flywheel. Good news is, it's a simple bolt-up affair as far as the flywheel/motor go. The crank bolt holes in the EJ series motors are all the same.

You will also need the wrx slave cylinder. It bolts into a different location than the RS one, and, again due to the "pull style" pressure plate, it sits facing the opposite direction.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok great wont get a stage 2 f1 wrx clutch kit any recomendations under 300...or more or less combo under 500

1 - 20 of 20 Posts