Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Coupe - Aspen W
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be swapping my 2000 Impreza L coupe with a 02-03 WRX and I will have the whole car. So I am going to do the dash swap and everything. People who have done this anything to watch out for? I am pretty confident I have done alot of research!

One thing I was wondering is it worth swapping the fuel tanks? Cant I just swap the sending units, the tanks themselves seem to be the same and mine is in great shape.

John

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
yes. its an easy swap too.

tank and everything with it needs to be swapped as the tanks larger and holds more fuel. the wrx tank has a baffle too.

·
Registered
MY95 Impreza L Wagon
423 Posts
If you want to be 100% emissions compliant you need to. If you don't care and will turn off any codes when tuned then it's not a big deal one way or another. If you are swapping rear sub-frames as part of the swap then just do it, your right there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks guys! Another question is, opinions on keeping my L steering rack or just swapping in the WRX one?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Me personally, I'd just swap everything you can. Especially if that WRX has lower mileage and was in/is in better condition.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
For me, the biggest decider would be whether or not it was easy to get the subframe off. Snapping them on one of my cars has deterred me from ever doing that again. It's not necessary for the swap to run, but the GD/GG tank has some baffling that the GC tank doesn't have.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Everyone busting the nut from the chassis or breaking the bolt head for the subframe has really got me wanting to just pop those bolts out. Clean them up, loctite, and put them back in. Before the car gets any older/rustier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow this is great thanks! I was just going to wing it because no one has ever made a DIY I thought.

As far as swapping over the parts, I think Ill just drop everything in the front like Tenebrion did that seems like the best way. On the fuel tank I am leaning towards just swapping the sending units and keeping the tank as I already changed out my rear cross member to a 04 wrx a while ago.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
I'm about doing the same as you WRX 02-03 EJ205 to 98RS and wondering should I swap WRX dash and/or send harness to Iwire. Make a member's ride page so I can follow you.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,627 Posts
For me, the biggest decider would be whether or not it was easy to get the subframe off. Snapping them on one of my cars has deterred me from ever doing that again. It's not necessary for the swap to run, but the GD/GG tank has some baffling that the GC tank doesn't have.
Baffling. I wish I had some of that.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
It keeps the fuel from sloshing back and forth, while you turn. This helps keep the fuel pump sucking fuel, instead of sucking air. It also helps you keep from having all the fuel weight from transfer to one side of the car, when turning.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, I knew that to be true for STI's so is it also the same for WRX's? I know the tanks look similar on the outside, but are they the same inside? As of now I have no need to pull apart the rear end unless it would be worth it, which it is sounding like it might be. The only time I have heard someone confirming the baffling is in STI fuel tanks and not WRX ones though, I have not looked into it much. (http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t195034-gd-fuel-tank-gc-direct-swap.html)

John

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I'm uncertain if the WRX has baffling or not. If it doesn't, just toss a bunch of wiffle balls into the tank. Call it a day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha. Well I think physically the shape and volume is the same as what I have already. The only things that might be different are the insides as far as I can see.

Really I think I know what I am getting into, but without actually doing it you don't know, no matter how much you research.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
The GD WRX's gas tank is like 2-3 gallons larger.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
Baffling. I wish I had some of that.
Ditto. I'll be making a little surge tank around my fuel pump like Skidd has instead though. I got fuel cut at 3/4 tank in one of my last autocrosses.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts