Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see how others mounted their power steering, i never got a bracket from the wrx so im not sure if it works well in the rs. Feel free to post up your setups or any ideas

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
mine's just chilllin, where the bracket would have to be theres a big bolt thats in the way. i didnt want to make anything permanent till i found a great spot for it.

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,001 Posts
^ haha, you guys make me Lol! mine is also chilling there. nothing bad happened so far.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perfect, i dont feel bad now. mines just chilling but sometimes it knocks over. im going to put some time into it today and if i figure anything clever out ill let you know

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
a big bolt, as in the bolt securing the front bumper beam?
i was curious where mine will go. i did get the bracket for it so itll at least be stable as long as i find a suitable place for the bracket.

im thinking i may have to go under the car, drill two holes and run long 6mm bolts thru the bottom. then tighten the bolts to the body with nuts and washers. then put the bottle bracket onto the "studs" and run two more nuts down to secure that.

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
I drilled a couple holes starting about an inch to the rear from the big bolt. Just drill and tap from the top...pretty basic. Not having ABS helps :) I used the same 10mm bolts as my WRX.

The GD bracket is about $10. Stop being cheap and get the damn thing LOL.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
i was curious where mine will go. i did get the bracket for it so itll at least be stable as long as i find a suitable place for the bracket.

im thinking i may have to go under the car, drill two holes and run long 6mm bolts thru the bottom. then tighten the bolts to the body with nuts and washers. then put the bottle bracket onto the "studs" and run two more nuts down to secure that.

i wanted to keep mine away from the headlight socket. where it needs to sit you cant get to the headlight plug. i was going to use 2 self tapping screws and just go in from the top i just dont have a great place where its not in the way yet.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
i wanted to keep mine away from the headlight socket. where it needs to sit you cant get to the headlight plug. i was going to use 2 self tapping screws and just go in from the top i just dont have a great place where its not in the way yet.

Oh, I didn't think about that. Ok, so what if you put the bracket in a vice and straightened it out and then bolted it to the side of the frame rail? That should let you move it away from the headlight socket. I just don't know how much room there is between the motor and radiator.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1,471 Posts

I used that big ass bolt to bolt mines down. It's the bolt that bolts the bumper beam down. I think it's a 17mm bolt. Just take your bracket and drill out the hole bigger and bolt it down using that 17mm bolt. It works just fine and essentially is the stock location. The only issue I have now is that it hits my radiator LOL. I'm just gonna put aluminum foil over that hose or something to keep it from burning for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just installed my STI rack and updated to the newer PS pump setup yesterday. My car is a 99 RS and has ABS so I used the stock bolt hole for the ABS pump as one of the mounting points, I just got a longer 8mm threaded bolt since it sits on top of that bumper beam bolt on the frame. The second hole in the bracket is smaller so I got a 6mm bolt and drilled a hole into the frame and tapped it. I put both bolts in and it holds the bracket down tight against the large bumper beam bolt but it is very secure. I will take a few pics when I get home so you guys can see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
White 94 Base Model
203 Posts
I used the WRX bracket, one bolt, and one existing bolt hole that I can't tell you what it used to be for. Has been holding up fine for a year and some very hard driving/cornering.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Doing as Seahawk did works just fine for cars with ABS as well. Use the WRX bracket and one of the huge bumper beam bolt/holes, and mount the bracket to the chassis through one of the brackets bolt holes. The hole in the bracket will have to be opened up with a drill or something to make it big enough for the bumper beam bolt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.