Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2000 EJ257 Swapped RS
548 Posts
So you made the time delay longer for your circuit? Looks like it will work well. Only difference I would think would be current draw LED vs. key ring light. But im sure it is low on a key ring light too. The first circuit you posted is for interior lights which will draw more current than the small key ring light. That is why they use a power transistor to supply the lights. Only suggestion i have is to check the datasheet on the transistor you chose make sure its good for the current you need (I'm sure it is). You dont have it labeled in your rough sketch so im just curious but looks good. What IC is that?

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So you made the time delay longer for your circuit? Looks like it will work well. Only difference I would think would be current draw LED vs. key ring light. But im sure it is low on a key ring light too. The first circuit you posted is for interior lights which will draw more current than the small key ring light. That is why they use a power transistor to supply the lights. Only suggestion i have is to check the datasheet on the transistor you chose make sure its good for the current you need (I'm sure it is). You dont have it labeled in your rough sketch so im just curious but looks good. What IC is that?
Yep, it should be okay. It's a C829 (if i remember right, too lazy to walk downstairs right now :|) But i guess i'll find for sure out once i hook er up to the car. LED is just used as the keyhole light for simplicity on the board's sake.

Also the IC i used was a, LM339N. I am also probably gonna send the rest of the unused pins on it ground just so that there aren't electrons zippin' around when they don't need to be haha

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,280 Posts
You could also wire the keyhole led to the brake switch output and ground. Connect a small 12v relay's normall closed terminals in the ground or + supply wire for the led. Run the relay on the ignition 12v. This way the led will only light when your foot is on the brake and the ignition is off. Once you turn the key to ON the led will cut off. No delay, but only one simple component needed.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You could also wire the keyhole led to the brake switch output and ground. Connect a small 12v relay's normall closed terminals in the ground or + supply wire for the led. Run the relay on the ignition 12v. This way the led will only light when your foot is on the brake and the ignition is off. Once you turn the key to ON the led will cut off. No delay, but only one simple component needed.
hmm... that's not a bad idea. Would be work for people with autos who HAVE to hit their brakes to start there car, though i find myself almost never on the brakes when i start mine haha

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
I've actually done this mod using the 04 sti keyring. All I did was wire the keyring up to my dome light. My dome light and keyring actually do stay on for at least 10 seconds after I close my doors after getting in (plenty of time to sit down and put the key in the ignition), but I also do have the Subaru keyless entry/ alarm installed. Just wanted to mention that in case no one knew the lights act that way. :D

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've actually done this mod using the 04 sti keyring. All I did was wire the keyring up to my dome light. My dome light and keyring actually do stay on for at least 10 seconds after I close my doors after getting in (plenty of time to sit down and put the key in the ignition), but I also do have the Subaru keyless entry/ alarm installed. Just wanted to mention that in case no one knew the lights act that way. :D
Hmm, my lights just turn off whenever the door is close. No delay.

Though i also don't have my keyless box in the car, but i wouldn't think that mattered unless the interior lights are somehow hooked into it, which is totally possible.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
Wow!...I just tried it out. My dome light and keyring stayed on for 45 seconds once I pushed the "unlock" button on my key fob. I let the lights turn off then pressed the "unlock" button again and got inside my car..closed the door and my lights still stayed on for 45 seconds until turning off.

But the wiring you suggested is a good idea for people who don't have the keyless entry/alarm.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,280 Posts
Is there a clear keyhole ring for the 93-97 cars? Mine is solid black and I'd like to convert it to light up eventually. If anyone has access to one, let me know. I have a 99 column that has the light ring but it's a different size and won't transfer to mine.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is there a clear keyhole ring for the 93-97 cars? Mine is solid black and I'd like to convert it to light up eventually. If anyone has access to one, let me know. I have a 99 column that has the light ring but it's a different size and won't transfer to mine.
JWalker cut his up a bit to make it fit, check out the part of his member's journal he linked earlier in the thread.

I don't think any GCs came with this... though i'm sure you guys know more than i do about that.

I actually haven't test fitted the ring in the car yet, but i'm sure i'll have to make a cut or two

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,280 Posts
The reason I think it's possible they could have is because of the black plastic ring around the key cylinder. Seems like that black ring wouldn't be necessary but who knows.

Edit: Just went to Subarugenuineparts.com and it's listed for the early impreza models for just over $6. I will be getting one from the dealer unless someone has a spare. :)

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fitment of the actual ring is off, like JWalker said.. will have to lob some off. No biggie.

Also comparison pics between the stock black ring and the WRX/STi one.

Sorry for the blurryness.

Also i have been busy (preoccupied) because of the holidays, haven't redrawn the schematic or soldered up an enclosed module.

SOON

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Has anyone wired this in to cluster dimmer/interior light illuminator setup? Maybe Im misunderstanding, but wouldn't having this wired in to your door adjar wiring be pointless? It would be illuminated while your door is open only...so it would be illuminated while your dome light is on. Then as soon as your close your door it would turn off in your now dark car. At least to those of us without the delay timer.

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
Could this be wired to an unlock signal for the doors locks? Then when you lock the car the light goes off?

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
I'm sure it could if you opened up the keyless box and found who where to solder it in.
I don't have keyless though. I also thought about the handbrake but I don't think that's always on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You could do just about anything if you find the right way to tap into it.

I was building a box to have mine stay on for 10 seconds after the doors were closed and interior lights went off, but i lost interest once bigger things came my way.

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
You could do just about anything if you find the right way to tap into it.

I was building a box to have mine stay on for 10 seconds after the doors were closed and interior lights went off, but i lost interest once bigger things came my way.
Yeah i might do a little research on my car. I might just try and get a fade it delay circuit from Ebay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
01 RS
901 Posts
Seems it's hard to find simple interior delay switches here so I bought one from a uk site. INTERIOR LIGHT DELAY, Motos of Kenley Car Spares and Accessories in Surrey

15 second delay and it should splice right into the stock dome light. Then I'll be running the key ring to the dome light.
any chance you can do a DIY? I know it may be pretty simple and straightforward, but there's one thing I really am not a big fan of and its wiring, and I've had an STI keylight ring for a few months now and just havent had a chance to tear the car apart and figure it all out

21 - 40 of 51 Posts