Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it work as far as performance wise?

I assume i need rotors and brackets for caliper

·
Registered
98, 00
30 Posts
Yup, you need the larger rotors and the caliper mounting bracket to accomadate the larger rotor. The capliers are the same so unless yours are going bad or are really old you can just use your current ones.

Performance wise a larger rotor will be able to dissipate heat better than a smaller one. This will mean less brake fade and better brake performance.

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
You'll also need to take the stamped steel dust shields off. The new rotor won't fit with those on.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
So, other than the larger rotors all one needs is the brackets from the WRX?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Will the stock wheels still fit with the larger front rotor? It seems like it should but I want to be sure as I am thinking of doing this mod too.

·
Registered
98, 00
30 Posts
yes the wrx brakes will fit any subaru 16 inch wheel but not the 15 inch wheels. Oddly enough the upgrade to the subaru 4pots will fit bejind the stock RS rims but not behind the stock wrx rims

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Thanks Pikeadon. One last question though is it possible to move the front rotor to the back and use the stock rear caliper with the bracket from the front? I just put on 17's and the rear rotors just look patheticly tiny

·
Registered
98, 00
30 Posts
simple answer is no you can't. The only way you are going to get larger rear rotors is to go with a big brake kit all around.
I hope to install my set of WRX brakes sometime next week before I go back to college:(

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
My bad....you are correct. Fronts are OK. For some reason I was thinking of the rear brakes. That dust shield almost wraps over the rotor.

Duh!

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
price for brackets..

Caliper brackets for WRX brakes are like $55

Is this is the average price...seems kinda pricey for brackets...

btw..i've been seraching around but there seems to be no site whatsover for directions on changing brake lines....does anyone know a link?

·
Registered
98, 00
30 Posts
Thats 55 bucks each for the brackets.
Ive never changed my brake lines so I aint no expert, but It seems just like plug and play, a simple bolt on. I do plan on upgrading to stainless lines when I change my rear drum brakes for a set of new WRX rear brakes.
I actually have a set of complete WRX front brakes sitting in my garage waiting to go on. The rears should be going on when I get some free time later this semester.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I've put SS brake lines on my car. It is mostly just take the old ones off and put the new ones on/ But make sure you get new copper washers and don't reuse the old ones for the banjo fittings. There is a good chance they will leak if you don't

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i assume brakelines come with washers

I'm assuming the brakelines come with new copper washers....
or do i have buy new ones.
btw..i'm buying goodridge...

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I got mine from Cobb and they did come with them. My guess is they will be supplied with a good set like Goodridge

·
Registered
25 Posts
I actually have a set of complete WRX front brakes sitting in my garage waiting to go on. The rears should be going on when I get some free time later this semester.
I've got WRX brakes in the garage too! Hopefully I'll get the fronts installed this week, and see how that performs. The rear drum to disc upgrade will get done later. I'm not quite ready to see my new OBS interior torn up just yet.

By the way, my insurance company recommended getting a licenced mechanic to do this - if you have an accident due to brake failure after "tampering with your brakes" you may come to grief on the insurance front.

Jim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts