Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on a 07 WRX right now that shredded third gear, owner plans on replacing with an STI transmission in about 3 months, so in the mean time were piecing the thing back together with stuff i have laying around. On the wrx from 02-05 they were pull clutch, then for 06-07 they shifted to push clutch, but the friction disk itself looks the same, same outside diameter and spline count etc, I was wondering if anyone had any experience mixing the different style friction disks. Some aftermarket disks list compatibility from 02-07 for the wrx so im assuming it should fit.

As a further info into the background of the transmission, its getting a jdm legacy gt rsk gearset, from a pull transmission, with the front pinion swapped and run in the push clutch cases. Im doing this so I don't have to regear the rear differential, or buy a new pull clutch and flywheel for the 07.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Push vs pull clutch only really matters as far as the pressure plate hydraulic system. As long as they match, you should be good

if the disc measures out the same in every direction, it should work

·
Registered
RBP, 2000 2.5RS Coupe
45 Posts
Push vs pull clutch only really matters as far as the pressure plate hydraulic system. As long as they match, you should be good

if the disc measures out the same in every direction, it should work
So you’re saying that if the clutch disk measures out the same on pull type like it does on push then it could be swapped in to get the high torque rating as long as the pressure plate matches the trans type

·
Registered
77 Posts
As far as I remember, yes. It might be worth trying to look up just the clutch disc numbers for both types of systems and see if they might match

1 - 5 of 5 Posts