Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from edmunds-

Dodge claims that the SRT-4 will be the fastest production car under $20,000 when it debuts early in 2003. There's little reason to doubt that as this Neon-based hot rod will hit the streets with a turbocharged 2.4-liter DOHC in-line four-cylinder that boasts a healthy 205-horsepower and 220 pound-feet of torque. With a reported 0-to-60 time of 5.9 seconds and a top speed of 148 mph, the SRT-4 will be the second-fastest product in the Dodge lineup behind the mighty Viper supercar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't trade my RS for one, but I have to admit it looks pretty good. Is the "4" supposed to designate AWD, the number of cylinders, or what?
tasteycow

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's got a decent sized engine. it's got a turbo and it looks pretty good. it's got potential.

unfortunately it doesn't have AWD and it's a domestic.
there are some people on this board who say that the neon is a decent car. yhough I'm not saying that it's better than a subaru :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I was into torque-steering front drivers, I would've kept my 97 Eclipse GS-T. AWD would've made this car a threat to the WRX, but now...
tasteycow

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
This car will be a headgasket eating machine! The NA 2.4s eat them so I can't imagine how bad a turbo variation will be. The same thing happenned back in the day with the Mopar 2.2 and 2.5 turbo motors.

·
Registered
(had) 2001 2.5RS BRP
96 Posts
not a huge fan of Dodge, but i gotta admit the car and numbers do look good. if you go to the Dodge website you can see more pics of it - and you'll notice the RS type wing on the back :bot:

H

·
0 Posts
tasteycow said:
I wouldn't trade my RS for one, but I have to admit it looks pretty good. Is the "4" supposed to designate AWD, the number of cylinders, or what?
tasteycow
It's the # of cyls... hense the viper rt-10, the Ram srt-10, etc...

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
uhhh...yeah, okay. Mopar has been using this same motor in a Stratus body for years in Mexico. The headgasket problem isn't there (on the 2.4turbo). The headgaskets on the 2.2/2.5's were a problem, but careful torquing and CORRECT gaskets more than made up for the problem.

You have to remember that they have more experience in forced induction motors than alot of other companies.

The first neons had a 0-60 time second only to the Viper in the complete chrysler lineup. This is a natural progression and an answer to the large public demand for them to bring that motor up north.

It IS STILL a domestic motor though.

imprezadan said:
This car will be a headgasket eating machine! The NA 2.4s eat them so I can't imagine how bad a turbo variation will be. The same thing happenned back in the day with the Mopar 2.2 and 2.5 turbo motors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts