Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

wrapping headers.

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Squeege 
#1 ·
Talking to some of the buys at work a they mentioned wrapping the headers. What about getting them ceramic coated? Since they salt the roads I am worried about the borla’s rusting. Will it quiet it down any, or can anyone get a good price on getting them coated? Should I wrap the mid-pipe too? Set up is as follows...........

Borla Headers
Random Tech. High flow cat
Stromsung Dual-tip Exhaust
Stromsung Mid-pipe

#2 ·
ceramic coating the headers is the best way to go, borlas have from what i have learned have a tendancy to crack on their own and header wrap will only accelerate the cracking...the headerwrap doesn't allow the material to expand properly causing it to develop stress fractures. Get em ceramic coated.

#5 ·
header wrap....prolly cost you $70...jet hot coated might cost what eric around $200 IIRC??

#6 ·
Hey guys,im gettin a set a borla's next month used(1mo) wrapped.The price is right.Anyway,if there wrapped,how would i tell if there's a crack?also if there is one can you get them fixed?welded??
thanks

#7 ·
you'll hear the crack when it's cold, it'll go away as it warms up, also you might be able to get it fixed but i have no definite answer, might want to contact borla and see what they do about it.

#9 ·
Here in Canada,

It costs anywhere from $ 320.00 upwards to get the headers coated.

There are also 2 types of coatings, Silver = Burn off temp = 1600 Degrees

Black Burn off temp at 1800 degrees. The problem with the black coating is that it has to be cured at 600 degrees in the oven for 2 hrs, and cured on the car after that for 1/2 hour. While it's curing tha b-terd smokes like heck.

Also, for coating headers, you should consider 2 layers outside, and 1 layer inside the tube. This will cost about $500.00 Canadian.

Enjoy.. I know from experience.

Thanks

#10 · (Edited)
So it cost just as much if not more to coat the headers? Even though I am not up to Canadian currency sure sounds like a lot. Rudy you will love the headers the top end is awesome especially since you have the Cobb cam (which I sooooooo want from Santa) as far as the Borla’s being cracked mine did right on the weld where there is a brace going between 2 of the pipes which heated up at different speeds and flexed just enough to crack them. I could have welded them myself but borla said it would void any further warranty so u just sent them back. They were Gen 3’s but now I have one that doesn’t have the bracket, Gen 4’s maybe?

Attachments

#11 ·
sheesh they must be REALLY eating it hard with all these faulty designs, you'd think a company like borla would put a little more research into things like that.

#12 · (Edited)
Yep,the cams really help the top end too,the headers will only make it sweeter:biggest:
Poppa Smurf,,,let me know when yr goin to Randy's,maybe we can meet up.Ill keep an eye on that bracket too,thanks
And yea,youda thought Borla would have had this craken thing figured out b y now.The ones im gettin are the latest version,hopefully the crackless version lol

#13 ·
jagcars26 said:
Yep,the cams really help the top end too,the headers will only make it sweeter:biggest:
Poppa Smurf,,,let me know when yr goin to Randy's,maybe we can meet up.Ill keep an eye on that bracket too,thanks
And yea,youda thought Borla would have had this craken thing figured out b y now.The ones im gettin are the latest version,hopefully the crackless version lol
we all hope, it's gotta be killing their profit.

#14 ·
I've had Thermotec wrap on my Borla headers for about 3 months now. No problems yet (and it cured the c.e.l. woes). Stay about 10 - 12 inches away from the collector flange right off the engine and you should be okay from cracks (knock on wood).

time will tell...

#16 ·
Borla painted and wrapped

I have the Gen3 Borla on my car and was getting CEL constantly. Everybody said to wrap them. I was concerned about accelerated corrosion under the wrap so I painted them first with silver manifold paint which is rust resistant also. I used a wrap similar to Thermotec (can't remember the name right now, starts with a D?). It's a lot easier to do if you remove the header. Afterwards I noticed much less exhaust noise from the front of the car, it made it feel like the power was smoother but less responsive... Overall more pleasant. Anyway, I still find the noise from the outside pretty weird sounding and maybe I'll apply more wrap.

Luigi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.