Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and wrapped my new Borla header. I also welded in another O2 sensor bung (for gauge) as well as the EGT bung. I wrapped it with 50% overlap and saturated it with three cans of the special high temp paint/sealer (black). I have had it on for over a week now and it is OK so far. I have heard stories of Borlas having very poor weld quaility and this may make it worse. I sure love having the EGT and air/fuel ratio gauge! Time will tell if it holds up very well...

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
That looks great, how hard do you think it would be for somebody to do that if they had no experience with it?

Also let us know if you end up throwing a CEL even with it wrapped. That's the part I'm most curious about.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Just some info for you...

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

if the first link doesn't work, go to www.centuryperformance.com
pick tech zone from the top... in the middle of the page pick exhaust system... the article why header wraps suck will pop up on the right... hit get article...

or pick exhaust systems off the list on the left...

this link will tell you why it isn't a good idea unless you like replacing headers...

This next link tells of an even worse side effect... now this one may be a little less likely, but still very bad...

http://www.neon-owners.org/neon/tech/engineering_info/header_wrap.html

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well my Borla header cracked all on its own. Cracked right at the damn welds just like all the previous header versions. I say go ahead and either get it wrapped or heat coded to trap in the heat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok so JetHot it is.. I didn't realize header wrap had that effecton the metal. When I do finally get new headers I want to make sure they don't throw a cel and still retain some of the stock cat efficiency. How much does the coating usually run?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
I got a $200 quote and a 5 day turnaround time. Not the JetHot brand, generic just the same.

Hey N/A, which version Borla you got??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The header I wrapped is the GEN4 header. Anybody know how it is different from the first three generations?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
ampsarus said:
DanzBorin-
The situations stated in the article refer to several hundred horsepower racing engines. All I can say is Subaru put insulation around the stock manifold for a reason. :)
The insulation on the stock headers is a few pieces of sheet metal, not tightly wrapped header wrap...:rolleyes:

It's not worth the risk to get like 1 or 2 hp and eliminate a CEL

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I need to look at mine, but I remember gaps between the sheet metal...:confused:

·
Registered
04 wrx wrb
158 Posts
what effect does the cel have on the engine....I know it does something.....I want to say that it retarded the timing a little bit cause my cars gas mileage sucked and I lost a lot of power.......I know this from racing my friend two weeks in a row first week with the header we were even all the times we raced and then this last week I got killed with the light on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts