Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago I purchased a 2006 GTI with 25k on it for 21k OTD.

People said I got ripped, and I know I paid a good deal for the car, but its also FULLY loaded. KBB was 21900 for the car private party.

So about 1.5 weeks after I bought it I threw a CEL. I knew what it was (recall) and kept driving on it and reset the computer. Would come back once a day, only in the morning when it was cool or taking a hard turn.

On the 30th it went into limp mode.

So I took it in Tuesday. Called Thursday. They had never heard of me or my car so I drove down there and yelled at them. My last name starts with a B and they had filed the car under T... and under make G instead of VW lol.

So anyway they took the car to VW Monday.

VW called them and told them the engine harness was modified and they ordered a new one, costing $2100.

Carmax called me and told me I owed VW $2500 in parts/labor for fixing my car since I modified the electrical system.

I called horse shat and called VW.

They said they told Carmax that the electrical system had been rewired incorrectly after being tampered with.... and that was over a year ago.

So they called carmax again.

CarMax called me saying they would be covering the $2500 and any other fees.... and they were clearly unhappy about it.

For what I care CarMax can rot in hell! But did I enjoy pwning them, YES!

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
Does it have the VR6 or 1.8T?
... or did you buy something crappy? :p

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 2006... therefore it has the new 2.0T.

·
Registered
2001 RS Silverthorn
1,023 Posts
I am confused. Did you or did you not modify the engine harness? Did they diagnose the issue before telling you how much it would cost to repair? It seems like really poor service to just tell you it was going to cost a bunch of money without even asking if it was ok to repair it first.

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No he did not cut the seat.

No I did not modify the engine harness. It was modified OVER 6 months ago! I have had the car for 3 weeks.

CarMax is paying for it all.

The car was keyed when I brought it home the first night, maybe I can force them to fix that.

Also I curbed one of my 18" rims *cry*... maybe I can say they did that too haha

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
So you got this instead of the Yaris or Mini you were orginally looking at...

I have never really like the new Mk5 but its slowly starting to grow on me. Nice pickup and glad carmax is working with you on this.

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea... the Yaris just wasnt enough car. And adding the Auto and power locks made it almost 15k! Had to add power locks to get ABS.

The mini was great, but the GTI was a bit cheaper and get 32mpg on the Turbo.... And has a ton more room.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
nice going with that dude. xD btw my friend just got that same gold gti with the semi-auto trans. its fawking quick, running 14 psi with no aftermarket parts. i believe it was reflashed. their not bad cars at all

·
Premium Member
'98 RSTI, '14 XV Hybrid
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im wondering if I can get carmax to buy the car back... After thinking about it Im not comfortable driving this car now.

Needed new electrical system because the previous owner had modified it.

Control arm was about to fall off because they missed it on inspection?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
You have I believe 30 days to get out of the contract, so you better act fast or lawyer up to see what he has to say about this...

A free consultation would be all you need, and most offer this service.

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
IDK about you guys but imo VW are just horribly designed... I work on them everyday, and i hate them!
I bet replacing that harness was a b*tch!
Get rid of it quick man!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts