Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5ts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just wanted to put this out there because im pretty lost on finding information online about this and wanted to see what other people though about on this. its got an ej25 so would that make it any better from having the ej20?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5ts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that, my point was is my wagon is a impreza and most of them came N/A with a 2.0L but mines got the 2.5 would it be better for turboing then? also is it hard to turbo a N/A Subaru engine?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
274 Posts
I say again, the 2.5 is worse for turbo-ing than the 2.0. it will break way sooner, under even less stress. If you want to turbo your NA car, you should swap in a smaller block. Even then, you lose reliability compared to a factory 2L or other size factory turbo block.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,499 Posts
Your engine wasnt designed to be turbocharged. Many people have done it, but the most reliable way with the least amount of long term headaches would be to just get a WRX or swap in a wrx engine.

·
Registered
07OBS
64 Posts
If you want a turbo you'll need to do a wrx motor/computer swap for it to be worth while. The EJ25 is an open deck block except the STi 2.5 (closed deck/turbo) and has higher compression which is opposite of what you need for boosting. The EJ20 is lower compression and therefore much easier to accept a turbo. The most boost I've heard of on an NA 2.5L is 6 psi successfully or a Raptor supercharger. A lot of work and money for ~30HP, your better off trading for a factory turbo model. Most North America Impreza's w/o a turbo are 2.5L. If you get a wrx/sti you'll get the wider front end except the wagon. Just some advise, older sti's are still very overpriced and wrx's are usually driven hard, be careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts