Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5 RSTI/98rswrx
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a drift is started by breaking the rear tires loss in a controlled manner in a corner. there are several ways to do this , and all work because of weight transfer. an understanding of the effects of weight transfer under braking, insted of spin out, and when it will cross the line from drift to spin. fast reactions by the driver and high level of driving skills are also necessary- drifting is not a beginner's technique.:p

in an all-wheel-drive car, a drift may be initiated by sharply turning thesteering wheel into the corner, and then accelerating and decreasing the steering a certain amount. you'd whant to do this after the turn-in process is comleted, just befor the apex, while setting up for the corner exit. the car is still decelerating, so weight is shifted forwerd, giving the front tires increased traction. when the steering wheel is turned sharply but in a controlled manner, thr front wheels pull the car forword in the direction in which they are pointed. the rear wheels develop an increaced slip angle and swing wide. acceleration at this point transfer weight back to ward the rear wheels, increasing their tractive abilit as in the rear-drive car above. coordinated use of the throttle and steering wheel keeps the car pointed in the desired direction, as with a rea-drive car.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RSTI/98rswrx
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you can shift weight rearwards faster than the tail goes out in oversteer, you can control an oversteer slide. this will work if the oversteer iis caused by the car's suspension design. some highly skilled racinging drivers perfer a car that oversteers at its limit because of this. the car will need rear-wheel drive and plenty of power in order for this technique to work. for most cars and most drivers, this may be a more theoretical than a useful technique. if the car is already in a power oversteer slide, weight is already transferd to the rear and the power throgh the rear wheels is overpowering their lateral traction. more power at that point is not what is needed.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Subie Gal said:
you're going to teach me how to drift???

:checkit: yeah ok....

thanks for the detailed essay tho... (sarcasm galore!) :) ;)
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
Hi Jamie....
I remember that turn..it was that long straight with the 90+ right at the end..little of a yump in it!!
I think that is me in the car with you!!! ;)

Have a good Christmas!!!
Tina

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Rallychic said:
Hi Jamie....
I remember that turn..it was that long straight with the 90+ right at the end..little of a yump in it!!
I think that is me in the car with you!!! ;)

Have a good Christmas!!!
Tina
yep Tina :D that's u ! heheheee....

you have a good Christmas too!!! :D

rally on sista!

jamie

·
Registered
548 Posts
It is and some people can make it look so easy.

I enjoy the rally ride in a rear wheel drive car. It is so much like a dance. The way they car is pitched....hmmm.....where is Vance. :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
how do start a drift going say 50mph without pulling ur ebrake i know pullinmg the ebrake isnt good for the trasnmission i own a 00rs i heard i know and know its not good to pull the ebrake period with a car with awd but how else can u start a drift the stok rs doesnt have too much balls so doing a power over would work plus its awd would using the feint technique work while doing somthing else at the same time? cuz ive gone to empty lots and tried drifting but my subie just wants to go where where ever my front wheels are pointed my rear end just wont slide out im running 19mm on my rear and i have the stock bar up front. i tried going in circles and progessivly went faster and faster up to 45 with my wheels locked all the way to the right and still my rear traction just wont break the faster i go the more it just understeers i finnaly got frusterated and pulled the ebrake to see if that would help at all all i got was a little slide out of the back i gave it gas it drifted for about 2 seconds and it just streigtend out by the way i am running my stock re92's

·
Registered
67 Posts
lol. Sorry bout that. anyways, heres the revised version of it. How do start a drift going say 40mph without pulling my ebrake. I got a chance to drive my friends 240sx. I realized how much more fun drifting is than gripping. I know pulling the ebrake isnt good for the awd transmission. I own a 00 RS. I heard and know that its not good to pull the ebrake period with a car with awd, but how else can u start a drift with awd? I went to a parking lot and tried on snow doing a power over and it worked fine because my front diff unloaded and i have my LSD working for me in the back. But that was in the snow. Now on pavement its a diff story. The car doesnt have enough power to unload the front diff and keep constant power going to the rear. Ive tryed the feint technique, and that isnt working for me either? ive tried drifting but my subie just wants to go where where ever my front wheels are pointed and my rear end just wont slide out. Am i running too slow? Im running 19mm on my rear and i have the stock bar up front. i tried going in circles and progessivly went faster and faster up to 45 with my wheels locked all the way to the right and still my rear traction just wouldnt break. The faster i went the more it just understeered. I finally got frusterated and pulled the ebrake to drift and all i got was a little slide out of the back for less than 2 seconds. I gave it gas while doing it and it just streigtend out :( do i have to be going faster in order to be satisfied? do i have to use my ebrake? by the way i am running my stock re92's

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
drift king said:
drifting is the fastes way around a cores if you know how to do it.

I don't know much about rally or rally cross as I have never done it but I do know auto cross and touring. Drifting is not, by any means, the fastest way through a turn in these forms of racing. Loss of traction and unnecessary weight shift equals a loss of momentum. Loss of momentum means fast into and slow out of a turn and that’s 100% contrary to the traditional road-racing paradigm.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Jason is correct....smoother is faster. But some cars are pitched to carry speed through the corners, mostly the rear wheel drive. I see more awd cars ditch hooking around a corner.

:burnout:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
even on gravel or dirt, you want to slide the car as little as possible.

anyway, to answer f1...'s question. its really hard to get a big drift going on dry pavement in a RS. too much grip and not enough power to overcome it. pulling the handbrake is very hard on the AWD system (not to say i don't do it on occasion, with the clutch in, on a loose surface), especially on dry pavement. without more power and/or a silly suspension setup designed to make the car have ludircis oversteer, you're not going to be able to slide the RS like a 240sx. just not going to happen. if you're really keen on sliding the car so much on dry pavement, the pendulm is your friend. same thing as the feint or scandanavian flick, whatever you want to call it. for this, i think pendulm is the better discripter. basically, you need to do a massive one. start going back and forth a bit with the wheel and each time keep making it a greater turn. after a couple, you should be loading up the suspension pretty good. make your final opposite turn a big, jerky one and then throw it back the other way. as it begins to come around, try lifting off the throttle and/or giving the brake as jab. then back on the power. or you can do what i do and try to do an 8 cone slolam on an auto-x on bald cold race tires on a 40* day. of course, that wasn't so much a drift as a very violent spin :)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RSTI/98rswrx
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know much about rally or rally cross as I have never done it but I do know auto cross and touring. Drifting is not, by any means, the fastest way through a turn in these forms of racing. Loss of traction and unnecessary weight shift equals a loss of momentum. Loss of momentum means fast into and slow out of a turn and that’s 100% contrary to the traditional road-racing paradigm

drifting is still the fastes way around. the reasone they don't drift int those racing circits is because it not aloud. to many cars were getting wrecked. some drivers did it and some did not because they didnt know how to do it . plus tires don't last that long in those races.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I don't know much about rally or rally cross as I have never done it but I do know auto cross and touring. Drifting is not, by any means, the fastest way through a turn in these forms of racing. Loss of traction and unnecessary weight shift equals a loss of momentum. Loss of momentum means fast into and slow out of a turn and that’s 100% contrary to the traditional road-racing paradigm
Dr. Jekyll.
drifting is still the fastes way around. the reasone they don't drift int those racing circits is because it not aloud. to many cars were getting wrecked. some drivers did it and some did not because they didnt know how to do it . plus tires don't last that long in those races.
Mr. Hyde :lol:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
wow i thought this was the nw forum....
is there anyone here FROM the NW? :rolleyes:

smoother is faster in all cases... even rally
and ESPECIALLY in the FWD'er...

but at times... when required...
one must pull a 4-wheel drift :)

experience learns ya how... no text book is gonna teach that...

Jamie

1 - 20 of 33 Posts