Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I love the 2.5 RS and would love to get one. I would like to know what you guys think of the car, and if you think it would be a good car for a high school student.. Like me :checkit:....
Im tired of seeing all these Civics buzznin around my best friend just stole my dream car from me... (Integra GSR) and so then I stumbled across the RS and fell in love. Heh screw the GSR. But anyway I would like to know how much you guys like the car, how it holds up blah blah blah, and how much is the insurance, cuz im payin for everything, car, gas, and insurance :( how much potential does the RS have? And I was wondering if you could take the MAF off of a 98 and put it in a 99 if I end up getting a 99, the 98 MAFs are wire so they are stronger right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get the RS. Im 17, a senior in HS too, ive been saving up for a little less than a year and im almost ready to get it. I too will be paying for everything myself. The RS has tons of potential, once u get a good suspension setup, it will handle amazingly. Then u can build up the ej25 engine, put stronger rods, low compression pistons, get cobbs high lift valve train package and other engine block mods then get a good turbo kit and ur car will be raping any car around.

·
Registered
283 Posts
JHova:

The RS is a very strong car with a lot of potential.
HOWEVER, and I stress this with a lot of capitalization, as a prodriving instructor, I see a lot of shit happen, especially to teenagers like us. I know you hear this all the time probably, but I cant stress how important it is, that is, if you consider your life important to you:

Having a nice car is cool and all, especially when youre young, no doubt. Im not going against that. Just remember where your nuts are and where your brain is and dont switch the two. You know what Im getting at. There is one simple way to make sure that this doesnt happen: PRACTICE! Practice your driving all the time. And remember, accidents arent accidents! Accidents are when the car breaks down to manufacturer defects, and causes an "accident". Other accidents are people being fucking stupid.

But yeah the RS is a good car. Just learn to drive it first before you try anything funny- youll be just fine and have hella fun!;)
-C.D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah.. Ive heard that alot, but I guess you can never hear it enough. You only get one chance in life :( so dont fuck up. Best advice to give to someone. I think it would suck to die this early in the game... I mean your only about 10 years from your mid-life crisis and thats when the fun begins. You start to rack up money in the job then you go off and buy a real car that you have no business driving :D like a Ferrari!

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
The RS is a great car, very dependable, and if you take care of it, it will run for a long time. The AWD gives not just a handling benefit, but also an extra margin of saftey when the weather is below average (rain, snow, elephants). But like was said before me, don't drive stupid, and the first major mod you should make is to the nut behind the steering wheel. Take a driving class if you can, or participate in some auto-x or rally-x. I've done several rally-x's in my RS, and it's a great way to learn what your car can and can't do, and it's all in the saftey and legality of an SCCA sactioned event, so there shouln't be anything more than an orange cone to hit, and they hardly do any damage (trust me, I've hit many of them:D ). Overall, I'd say the RS is a good car for a HS student, since it's quick, but not too quick, it's fast, but not too fast, and it's very safe. And if you are buying it and paying for everything yourself, then go for the best car you can get. As for insurance, the best way is to just call you insurance company and ask them how much it will cost, and they'll give you an estimate. Hope this helps! Oh, and from what I understand, the MAF from the 98 will not go onto the 99, as they use different plugs and stuff.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
Yo, i am 16 and a junior in HS. You bet it makes for a good high school car. Its amazing looking, fast, mean and will last a long time. ALthough they are a lil expensive its good if u can get your hands on one. Gas milage ain't bad either. Its sweet flyin outta school with your dope 2.5 and watching all the ladies stare at you! bottom line, yes buy the fucking car

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
:stupid: :p When I was 19 and saw the RS for the first time in a magazine, I had to get it. Of course, I had to get preapproved for a loan first, but the RS just made me drool. I have never thought of buying a performance car until I seen the car. No one had it... ever! I also thought that this car would get me women (guess what, I mostly got guys to look. Oh well:happynow: ), but it didn't. Being young, I liked to show off the car a lot, but after thinking about it, the most fun you'll have is what you feel inside. You want a car to satisfy you in both look and feel? This is a good choice. I love the torque + AWD. If you buy one, you'll love it. I'm sure. The car responds to mods well, too.

My 2000 RS now has 52350 miles on it, and it's held on fine. So far, my second O2 sensor went bad (a Subaru recall), water pump started leaking (fixed 20000 miles ago), and the pinion nut was loose on 5th gear (tightened up by dealer 15000 miles ago). Nothing else went bad. Just remember that you'll need some extra money to do regular auto maintainance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
im a high school student and buying my rs was the best thing i ever did... next to my 3 dollar sandals from k mart in hawaii. heres a pic of me in my sandals and me with my car :biggest: the sandals are worn down to a nub now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rs

Im almost 18 (14 days) and i too am trying to find that special 2.5 rs with my name on it. I have been watching rally on tv and have been a huge fan of subaru for almost 2 years now. Im in CT in the hartford/ springfield area, and subarus are pretty common but 2.5's are pretty rare. Beat of luck to all you looking for one.
dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wouldn't think a stock RS to be any more dangerous to high schooler than driving any other car. In fact, you have AWD to make it easier to handle on rough roads and in inclement weather. Of course, if you drive like you have your head up your ass as many teenagers do (I know I drove like a kamikaze pilot who just received a Dear John letter), any car can be a potential threat to safety.

·
Registered
55 Posts
liigod said:
im a high school student and buying my rs was the best thing i ever did... next to my 3 dollar sandals from k mart in hawaii. heres a pic of me in my sandals and me with my car :biggest: the sandals are worn down to a nub now.

wow sweeet ass car dude. I bet u really do 'fly' in that car, haha. Its weird, the past 3 days ive seen RS's in a row, and there pretty rare here, i saw 2 BRP coupes in 2 days, then an aspen white coupe today, the white looked REAL nice.

·
Registered
392 Posts
just remember that awd can save your ass but it doesn't make you superman.. you still have to live by the laws of physics so don't think you can take that 90 degree corner at 90 just cuz awd..

other than that.. rock the rs.. i know i have.. and i've had mine since my senior year..

·
Registered
502 Posts
RS, nice car, but expensive and slow
($13,000 used for a car that does 0-60 in 8seconds :))

if you like going offroad, then go for it

Subaru recalled the MAFs, so no problem there.... only that you'll still have no LSD

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
I'm nearing 18, and a senior in High School. Got my 00 RS a couple of days after my 17th birthday. AWESOME car. Turns a lot of heads. Where I live, there are no other RSs, but lots of WRXs with soccer moms that don't know what they are driving, so obviously have no idea what an RS is.

I'd say the RS is an excellent car to go with. Like others have said before, the AWD really doesn't do much in normal weather conditions, it will just make for added traction in poor weather conditions, so don't overestimate the potential of your car. You'll find yourself wrapped around a tree.

The RS is a super-stable car, and is very safe. Compared to the majority of other High School kids getting their first cars, usually a Mustang GT, the RS is a very reasonable first car.

Sooo... If you have the money, GET IT!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do it!! It's worth it. I wouldn't trade my 2000rs for anything..........I'm going to run it till it blows up and then drop another motor in it. I already have 60,000+ on it and it runs great. I only had one problem and that was my driver's side wheel bearing was bad, but hey that's what a warranty is for. I could count 20+ mods I've done on mine and plenty more to come. Screw the "bugeyes" stick with the gc8 and have fun. Of course the 2004 STI model is awful tempting with a 270hp 2.0L, but who could afford insurance on that???:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah man, go for it and buy the RS. I got mine a few week after my 18th birthday. Just don`t screw up and crash it like I did. WHen I got it it was my third car, I wrecked both of my first two. I have since wrecked this one once already costing me $3k, of which insurance only covered $2k of it. But aside from that I`m over 50k miles and not a single problem. just be careful!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
definatly

I just got a 2000 2.5 RS and i dont have a single complaint, i absolutly love it. on another not what are thoughts about the Cobb Tuning stage 2 power package?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Let's see... AWD...not to powerful, but good potential...fair repair record...good safety record...decent looks...NOT A CIVIC! Yea it would make a good HS car.

My son's choices...'97 Mazda 626 V6 ,5spd...Surprisingly quick) that he shares with his brother
'02 2.5RS (with mods)
'03 WRX Wagon (with mods)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts