Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 sub sohc. timing belt popped. Got it towed home. New timing belt. Figured even if it had bent valves it would at least run badly. It has gas and spark but absolutely no start. Checked timing belt 3 times and it was installed correctly. 2 days of trying this and that no luck. Any Ideas helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
It has fuel and spark, 3rd thing to check is compression. Compression testers are fairly cheap and immensely helpful. I've had my engine not start due to just 1 cylinder w/no compression(dropped valve). Try cracking the throttle a tad when cranking and see if it starts then.

·
Resident ovloV Guru
'09 Impreza 2.5i/'00 OBS
3,077 Posts
Wait, so your saying your timing belt broke, and you just replaced it and expect it to start? If your valves are bent, which they are. then you have no compression, and if you have no compression guess what your not gonna do.

Start with a compression test. I believe normal is about 160-180 IIRC. If these are not your numbers I guess you know where you sit.

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
If your timing belt broke while the engine was running, 95% sure you have bent valves, especially on the EJ251 which is listed as an interference engine. Definitely do a compression test, but I'm positive that you'll be pulling the heads and replacing valves.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
how are you testing for gas and spark?

also, timing belts are a lot more lenient than most give them credit for. If you're off by a tooth or three, it'll still start but it'll run poorly. I've set them by just pointing the marks on all 3 pulleys straight up before (without the lines on the belt itself).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.