Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2011 A4
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to offer some mspaint or other type of simple diagram to help me wire up one of my Fal radiator fans to a custom mounted interior switch. I want to do this so i can cut the fan on when i start the car.
Why?
Because during my swap one set of the wires that went to the 2 radiator fans where cut. I tend to over heat if i let the car sit for more than 8 mins after warming up.

· Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,509 Posts
Um. Couldn't you just run the positive and negative wires from your FAL fan to the battery and through the firewall to your switch? The OEM relay wont work because it is wired through the temp sensor. If you wanted to you could purchase a fan relay from a company like Painless Wiring and use that to connect your fan to a power source and switch.
I don't see what the issue is here, it would be just like powering a set of Hella 500's or something. Power, ground, switch.

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
What they said, just do a simple relay setup, power the relay from the battery, run a switch to trip it (I'd power the switch with something tied to ignition, like the cigarette lighter). Should be really straight forward.

· Registered
2011 A4
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i went to a local auto store and bought a relay with harness plugs and wires..a simple toggle (2 prong) switch/ some wires /butt connectors...

this look about right for a diagram?

radiator ground to battery/ power to relay/ relay power from battery/ relay ground and power to switch?

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
No, run a relay like you show. Only slightly differently. Ground for the relay can go straight to the chassis. Also, you need to get power to the switch somehow (remember, when it's on, the switch might as well be replaced by a wire), which is the part I recommend taking from an ignition source. I don't know if you know what a relay is, but all it is really is a switch that is tripped by power. Basically you turn on the switch in your cockpit, which then tells the relay to turn on the power to whatever it's connected to.

NINJA EDIT: ^Definitely put a fuse between the battery and the relay. I'd still run a relay, as it's a little safer (less power running through the switch), but definitely fuse it.

I'd make a diagram, but I'm running around, maybe if I have a few minutes later.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Keep it simple:

1-Wire both fal fans to ground and connect their +'s to the stock fan +'s.
2-connect one side of your interior switch to ground and run the other side to the two fan activation pins on your ecu. If you want two seperates then run two switches. It won't hurt the ecu but if you're worried, cut the wires before the go into the ecu and tape them. This will work unless the large stock positive wires that normally power the fan are disconnected somewhere.

Piece of cake. Then you'll be using the factory fan relays and fuses. Just don't forget to use the switches :)

:)

Orrrrrr.....

Get a spdt 12v automotive relay:

-wire pin 85 to the ignition 12v+ coming from your key switch
-wire pin 86 to ground
-wire pin 87 through a decnt fuse (20A) then to the battery +
-wire pin 30 to the + of one fan
-ground the fan directly to the frame

I'd put the relay right by the battery so the 12v path is shorter and everything will run cooler. Then you only need to run the one activation wire(pin 85) to ignition in the car. Or you could wire pin 85 to one of the fuses under the hood that only gets 12v with the car on, and save some wire.
Now whenever the car is on, the fan will be running. Problem is, the fan will wear out much quicker like this. If you wanted, you could wire in an extra idle switch that only lets one of the fans come on at idle. You could also use the a/c compressor power to turn on a relay to power the second fan. Possibilities are endless with relays. :)

· Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,970 Posts
Go to advance. Ask for a fan relay kit. Come with the temp sensor, relay and all the wiring. All for $35. It will have instrustion to get you going.

Or do like 2slo4u said and use the stock stuff to another relay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.