Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car: 2000 RS with 2002 WRX drivetrain swap

My fuel pump controller was always wired wrong, forcing the fuel pump to run 100% duty 100% of the time.

Today (after 4 years) I ripped it apart to check the wiring, and to replace the fuel pump controller itself...but when I put it all back together (in the exact original configuration without even replacing the fuel pump controller!), the temperature gauge reads RED HOT, and it now says I have ZERO gas (despite having over 1/4 tank).

How are these two related? I can only find them being connected through the big brown connector in the engine bay (seems odd that the gas level goes there, though) and they also both go to the ECU. I honestly can't see how they're related and why they're stopping me from starting my car.

Actually, it looks like they might be sharing the same fuse...I doubt this is the problem, as I've checked all fuses.

I think there might be a short, because when I reconnected the -ve battery cable, it sparked...and it never sparks when I reconnect it.

i DID disconnect the ECU harness and then reconnect it, but all the plugs 'snapped' back in to place with a 'click'...and i'm sure if that was the problem, i'd have way bigger problems than the temp gauge. aaaaahhhhhhh i hate electricals!

anybody have any ideas? fwiw, there are no check engine lights (even more frustrating).

ANY help would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Edit: wow, now the CEL flashes ALL THE TIME, even without the key in the ignition. Plus, the coolant temp gauge doesn't spike. Oh, and at random, the freakin fuel pump will stay on even without the key in the ignition. what fun.

Edit: aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh I think it's because one of the connectors is so corroded that the wires are falling OUT of the damn thing. This is all because the a-pillars are rusting to crap and the water is eating the electricals one by one. Plus, the freakin OBDII doesn't work--I can't get a signal to the OBDII port to read any codes or even connect to the ecu :S Hopefully it isn't fried. grrrr

Saturday Edit: aw eff. I soldered the connector out of the loop completely. its now gone. this fixed one problem (the passenger door locks now work!) but it still doesn't let me read the ECU or start the car. FEK. Still open for suggestions here. :(

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and should I be really worried that I can't read from the ECU using an OBDII scanner?

The power doesn't even come on in the scanner, and if i use the tactrix cable it can't connect to the ECU.

Would this mean the ECU is fried, or is there hope that it's still OK?

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ok, upon reset of the battery (disconnect/reconnect -ve cable), with my obdii scanner connected, the obdii scanner powers up no problem.

as soon as i turn the key, the screen turns off and the scanner won't do anything.

i also can't get the tactrix cable to hook up to the ecu either.

the gas level is still zero, despite having gas. the fuel pump stays on without the key in the ignition.

at this point, i'm assuming it's the ecu. it's the only way i can see the fuel pump relay having power without the key, and the only way the gas level would read zero. *shrug*

anybody? bueller?

EDIT: wow. turns out, one problem (could be more) is that EG-1 (engine ground 1) came loose, and really wreaked havoc with the systems. The car still doesnt run, but at least this was part of the solution. It seems really messed up that this just HAPPENED to jiggle loose while i was pulling other systems apart. man, what a nightmare. a full week of crap! i hate electricals!!!

Final Edit: after fixing the dome light, map lights, sunroof, door locks (passenger side) all through resoldering plugs...it turned out to be a completely random and unrelated problem. a ground on the engine itself (the one at the oil filler neck) had become so corroded that it stopped grounding. so frustrating. I would have thought it was related to what i was doing (fuel pump controller), but it turns out that it was definitely just random. frustrating!

so if anyone runs in to a problem like this: it is probably a bad ground! check the ECU wiring diagram to look for grounds that the ECU needs, and check continuity for all of them to the actual ground point and at each connector (if need be).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts