Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS, Sedan BRP
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEy Guys,
So im coming into my first winter with my Suby and am super excited.
Im going to get a set of Winter Tires, and throw them on my stock rims 16".
(in spring get some 17's and a Summer Tire, but that comes later)

Now im just totally lost... seems there are 100's of different views on a "good" winter tire. and i just need some direction from people who actually
drive awd subies.

Basically i Live in Fraser Valley BC Canada, 1h outside of Vancouver.
-Its very wet and sometimes slushy around here, so Hydroplaning resistance is Key.
-The hwy on the way to university is almost always wet and very often has icy spots in dec/jan
-Snow is pretty random, often about 2-3inches, and snows several times a season, but it doesnt really go away... so as you know... it get plowed, and scrapped and turns into hard crappy ice.
-Im an Avid Skier and drive up many of the local mountains every weekend
so i need to be able to be safe and confident driving up the mountains

So yes... i dont know what i really need or whats going to be the best for me.

Thanks for any help/direction you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I bought a set of these 5 years ago when I had my DSM. I went to school up in Houghton, MI, where the first year I was there set a record for consecutive days of snow (38 days straight with 1" or more of accumulation) and they average over 200" of snow a year.

I have since sold the DSM and have used these same tires on my subie now for 2 seasons. They still have at least 65% tread and handle great in the snow. Sidewall is a little soft if you plan on using them for rallyX tho.

Bang for your buck, I'd rock these any day!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&partnum=055SR6FWF&fromCompare1=yes&place=20

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS, Sedan BRP
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I Have Done a bunch of looking around, talking to dealers, etc etc

And i think im deciding between three tires:

Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

General Altimax Arctic

What Are your Thoughts?
Best For Hydroplaning Resistance?
Best For Ice?
Best For Snow?

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
I'm personally a fan of Nokian. I don't think anyone can make a winter tire better than they can, but that's just my opinion. :)

Winter choices:
http://www.nokiantires.com/product-group?group=1.01

The "WR" versions are their all-season tires, so probably veer away from those and stick with the Hakkapeliitta line (non-studded). Though, the WRs are VERY good for most situations; they're just not dedicated winter tires.

I had the RSi on my RS prior to sale. One thing about Nokians is that they wear VERY well, or at least both of my sets have. The RSi had 3 winters on them, and still have well over half their life left. Probably drove an average of 7K miles per winter season, I'd say.

·
Registered
1999, RS, Silver 2 Door
33 Posts
Yeah Nokian's are really nice winter tire but they are a little pricey. But if you have the cash I would recommend them for sure.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Impreza WRX
565 Posts
Hey guys, a friend of mine is willing to let go of his 5x100 STi BBS's (Silver) for $650... I already have the gold ones... I was thinking about buying them and using them as a winter set so I can be ballin all year round but I know that thinner tires are better for winter and I dont wanna go wider than 205 for the winter... would 205's even fit on those rims? I'm currently running 215's on my goldies

if not then I wanna go with studded 195-205/45-50/16 on my wrx rims

·
Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
565 Posts
^I can't help you there.....how wide are the BBSs? I've got 215s on 17x7 rotas, and they're rather stretched (you probably could go narrower....but I wouldn't).

hard to beat Firestone Winterforces! no, not the best traction, but a fraction of the price of comparable tires.

·
Premium Member
2011 Impreza WRX
565 Posts
^^ I think they are 17x7.5 offset 53 but I'm not sure
I'm most likely just gonna go with blizzaks or x ices or nokians on my wrx rims

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
1,788 Posts
wait a month or 2 until DTD has there sale. if they do. they had alot of business last year, so hopefully they do it again. free shipping too.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69444&highlight=discount+tire+direct
Yup, that's what I'm waiting for. I'll be getting Hankook Ipike's most likely and with $100 that'll be like $315 with free shipping for snow tires. Can't beat that. If they don't have the sale I'll be getting Nokian WR G2's which will probably total to double the Ipikes :wtf:

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
i love my ipikes. they imo are the perfect winter tire, for me anyway. theres traction when you need it, but you can still have fun if you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts