Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have recently decided to get a set of winter wheels and tires for my 99rs. I am going to do plain black steel wheels with some sort of tire, not really sure yet. My question is should I go for 15in wheels or 16in?

Also any winter tire suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Either size rim is fine... but if you are to get a 15" rim, it'll cost less than a 16" rim. The tire sizes for a 16" rim is generally more expensive than a 15" tire.

My setup was 15" steelies from tirerack for $38 each shipped to my door. Took the rims to local 'Discount Tire' store and had 195/65-15 Semperit Sport Grip put on by them for $74 each. Lifetime rotation, balancing, and checkup. I chose my tire size because more of the car's weight is put on less rubber, so the car cuts through the ice easier. If you want better cornering performance for the winter tires, I recommend you get the 16" rims with winter tires put on, because you'll have less sidewall flex. You win some, you lose some. :stinky:

·
Registered
392 Posts
RE92's suck in the snow.. i just found out the hard way.. decided to go move my car while it was snowing and curbed out going like 5 mph i slide across the campus road no traffic though..

I need driving lessons.. as well as winter tires..

i moved it cuz some idiots didn't want to listen to me when i told them not to fuck with my car.. (ie use as barrier from ice balls and snow balls.. )

people suck :barf:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's.

Yeah I am thinking of getting the 16in steel rims since I do enjoy the handling aspect of the car and hate to give that up during the winter. I was thinking....would it be worth while to just get a set of winter tires and put them on the stock wheels and swap them when the spring comes? Or is that more trouble than it is worth?

·
Registered
392 Posts
i think that would be more trouble than it would really be worth. Mounting a set of tires and then turning around and mounting another on the same wheel would end up costing more than buying a set of steel 16's if you did it every winter.

·
Registered
MY01 Subaru 2.5 RS Silver
27 Posts
i went with the 15" so i just swap wheels when i want to change them, makes things a bit easier. i went with a setup from sears, got to love the sears card. the guy hooked me up on a cheap set of Zracing wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's. they are great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts