Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, next summer i'm gunna start doing autocross, will it badly effect my vehicle if i start installing mods (like intake, exhaust, coilovers) during the winter? like will it hinder their performance before i even get on the track? or should i just keep my car stock for now, and when summer comes hit the autox stock and slowly start modding then to get a feel for each part

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
It's a more recommended idea to start with a stock car and add more mods as you become a better driver, but like noTe said, it doesn't make a difference what time of year you install them.

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
It only matters when you take things off, install new things and have parts left over.

Otherwise, put whatever you want on whenever you want. However, I've always been of the mindset that I'd rather drive the car one way, mod it, and then see how the mod changes things.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
It's a more recommended idea to start with a stock car and add more mods as you become a better driver, but like noTe said, it doesn't make a difference what time of year you install them.
YES! And you will realize how true this is yourself once you actually start racing. Stock class AutoX is definitely the best bang for the buck!

·
Registered
2000 BRP Impreza RS
746 Posts
In my case it was awsome that i waited to install a new hood on my car during last winter. I did it just in case i slid into a snowbank/pole/ whatver. on new years eve a girl actually hit me head on and totalled the car. Thankfully i didnt install the new hood and was able to return it :). But yeah that was just a little lucky on my part

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
word, i have a grounding kit, a k&n replacement box filter, and a short throw shifter, does that still make me stock class?

just wondering

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so pretty much i have to be BOONNEEE stock

like nothing at all?

or are there exceptions

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
Just use common sense. Anything that you can put on your car to make it better than stock for autocross is not considered bone stock.
That's not true. You NEVER want to use common sense when it comes to racing rule books.... because there are tons of rules that DON'T make sense :lol:

In the case of the OP, your short shift kit will put you out of stock, but I doubt anyone will care/notice that you have one at the local level... so I think you're good to go.

FYI - tires (as long as they are on stock-size wheels), shocks, front sway bar, and a cat back exhaust are the only things you can change in stock class.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
That's not true. You NEVER want to use common sense when it comes to racing rule books.... because there are tons of rules that DON'T make sense :lol:
Yeah if you want to technically cheat. But if you want to be fair and follow the correct rules then you should be honest with yourself even though they can't notice the modifications.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
Yeah if you want to technically cheat. But if you want to be fair and follow the correct rules then you should be honest with yourself even though they can't notice the modifications.
I didn't say he should cheat. In the sentence you quoted I was trying to say that many solo rules are not common sense, and it's usually the people that are trying to use common sense that I have to argue with while doing tech because they have illegal mods. :rotflmao:

Honestly, for someone just starting out, I would ask the other people in your class if they care that you have a short shifter... if they don't (which I can almost guarantee will be the case) - by all means run the stock class.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts