Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Well, if you think power steering the first thing I would do is check your p/s fluid level. If that seems fine, see if you can't locate where the sound is coming from while the engine is idling or if it doesn't make a sound while idling find out what circumstances cause it. Also, if you can get a video of said noise it would be a lot easier for us to help diagnose.

·
Registered
05 LGT, 04 GD, G3 GC all WRB!!
83 Posts
I suspect it to be the A/C belt tensioner. There is a bearing that is pressed into the pulley. If the bearing goes out then there will be whining noise from the general area. To test have engine off, remove belt to test the bearing's function as a test. Just spin the tension pulley by hand and see if you hear whining noise from the pulley pulley. A good unit has absolutely no noise and no resistance and bad is vise versa. Replace pulley as needed. 02-up EJ series have light weight plastic pulleys on some years where as older models have metal pulleys. Weight reduction I suppose.

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Cheaper to manufacture, thats all. They don't care about weight on consumer cars.

That tensioner is a good idea, didn't think about that. They do go bad especially if the belts are too tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.