Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am so sick of this:curse:

Whenever I or a co-worker replace a systems motherboard, with anything with an AC'97 based audio chip on board, the audio NEVER works! We've tried installing PCI audio cards, and nothing, installing VXDs, over WMAs, and vice versa, deleting ENUM, and re-detecting all drivers (usually what I do anyways when changing mobos). We've tried disabling the audio in CMOS, *then* installing the drivers, and nothing. The ONLY thing we've been able to do is re-install the OS, and this usually makes for pissy customers. And as far as I know, no one has ever heard of this problem, I've called several motherboard manufactures, and they're never had any complaints. And I'm pretty sure that if I call Microsuft, they'll just say "oh, you need to re-install."

If anyone has ANY ideas, please post.

Thanks

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
That's totally odd. Have you tied installing the drivers *prior* to the swap? And what OS? NT/2000/98... ?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly 98 and Me, I haven't tried installing before the swap, but I did disable the audio in CMOS on the first boot, then install all the other drivers, then re-enable the audio and install the driver, thats kinda the same thing 'eh? I had one of the systems in question today, but the customer wanted it *yesterday* so I had to do a clean install. I'm sure it'll come up again.:rolleyes:

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Try doing the software install first... I've had problems with other hardware and that's been the only way I've fixed it. Of course, I had to pull the hardware ... put the old crap back... restart... remove the old hardware from the control panel (you're doing that, too, right?)... then install the new software... then shut down, and pull the old hardware, then put the new hardware in....

How many times have I done this? Oh man.... !

H

·
0 Posts
Too funny. Any possibility that you'd consider switching motherboards? I've never had that problem. Not sure what audio chipset came on the MB I've got now... but my SB works just fine. Ah - Cmedia cmi8738. :rolleyes: on my Asus A7m266 MB.

Heck. I've stuffed hard drives with 98 and 95 into machines with COMPLETELY different hardware (built on a clone, stuffed into a Compaq, or Dell, or HP, etc.) and the OS goes through gyrations adding and removing all of the resources, and still no problems.

<nelson>HA HA</nelson>

:D

My biggest computer problem now is that dad just ordered (well, *I* just ordered) 4 Dell machines (on *MY* credit card :mad: Oh well.. I get the Subaru points. :)) and I get to take XP off, put 98 on, and reinstall all of his dental stuff. :) I am SO glad I bought a copy of Ghost. But the software isn't a bugger. He's got a bunch of ISA cards that I have to worry about. I think we can scrap most of them... light pens, PCMCIA readers, generic audio cards, Compaq Neteligent cards... All that great stuff that doesn't really install well because it's generic home built stuff. Yippee.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This problem has occurred on several different motherboards. All of them with the i815 chipset and an AC'97 based audio chip, C-Media, Sigmatel, even 3com was trying for a while. It happens with Intel, MSI, ECS, Epox, and Asus motherboards, I'm sure it would effect anything with the i815 chipset. I need to stick with the i815, because we usually do this swap when someone comes in with a bad mobo, but the CPU and memory are still good, so we're just trying to replace the board.

And yes, Ghost kicks @ss, I use it everyday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts