Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GM6 Aspen White 5MT
120 Posts
Stock 01 RS suspension. Stock 01 RS wheels.

Just went from some crappy tire company of 225/16/50 (these tires came on the car so without looking on my doorsil and seeing i need 205....) I ordered kumho escta mx from tire rack.....225/16/50

Dear jesus do these things rub! What the hell.....my previous tires did not rub at all and now I go over just a little bump and both my struts bump HARD in the back, it sounds so bad. Even on mild to sharp curves (with no bumps) I get really bad rubbing in the back. After further inspection I realized that my tires are CONSTANTLY (metal is worn down on struts) rubbing on my struts!!! Ahhhh good thing I noticed this only after a couple days of driving with my new 225's.

So I bought eibach 5mm wheel spacers....these did not help at all I am still rubbing so bad I think my wheel or suspension is going to fall apart.

Someone suggested that kumho's are made wide, I can believe this but...how the heck are you guys not rubbing with 225?

Anyways, I am too poor right now to order another set of summer performance tires that are the correct size.......my only option now is to buy winter tires for my other set of wheels (17 inch wrx wheels). And put winter tires on asap before I do any more damage or cause danger on the road. I don't think I can run anything wider than 205 on this car.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,231 Posts
so falken azenis wouldn't work? That's what I'm running now (Need to be changed anyway). I was gonna get the dunlop direzza ss, those should work shouldn't they?
I see that you are on the RCE Tarmac IIs....and sitting pretty low...

Are you rubbing on the coilover body, or on the lower spring perch?

If you are rubbing on the spring perch, you need to raise that up above the tire...

If you are rubbing on the coilover body, get a wooden wedge, hammer it between tire and coilover, then loosen both hub bolts and re-tighten.

-- Dave

·
Registered
2001 GM6 Aspen White 5MT
120 Posts
5mm spacer, and your still rubbing on the Strut? Or, are you now rubbing on the fender lip?
I am rubbing on the struts in the back still (just not constantly like before) .

With the spacers in the front I am slightly rubbing on the fenders when fully turning the steering wheel and lots of weight in car + bump.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,231 Posts
I am rubbing on the struts in the back still (just not constantly like before) .

With the spacers in the front I am slightly rubbing on the fenders when fully turning the steering wheel and lots of weight in car + bump.
You don't have to run spacers on all 4 corners...

Remove the spacers from the front... no real reason to use them there...

-- Dave

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
I see that you are on the RCE Tarmac IIs....and sitting pretty low...

Are you rubbing on the coilover body, or on the lower spring perch?

If you are rubbing on the spring perch, you need to raise that up above the tire...

If you are rubbing on the coilover body, get a wooden wedge, hammer it between tire and coilover, then loosen both hub bolts and re-tighten.

-- Dave
I rubbed on the spring perch and part of the spring. So I'm too low then huh? Is there any alternative? Would a 5 mm spacer work? The offset would still be in the "safe" range according to the nasioc offset thread (actually, even more so). It just seems that I'd have to actually raise the car quite significantly to actually clear it (maybe an inch or more), and it just doesn't seem THAT low to me right now. Granted, I know our cars aren't meant to be lowered much, but I feel my height right now isn't really pushing it.

I still have to play with it and I need to put my alk and roll center kit on before I get it aligned at andrewtech, but that's all relating to the front end so that doesn't really apply here. All I did was remove the top bolt on the hub and bring is all the way forward with full positive camber and then use my camber plates to go as negative as I can (Which was also a huge problem as there's not even enough clearance between the holes on the plates and the car itself to get the screws in full negative). In the end I managed to make it fit but my camber is all f'd up and it's actually a little positive still. I have to play with it more but I'm waiting for my cousin to let me go use his shop again.

If you buy that suspension from me maybe you can give it a looksy :)

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,231 Posts
I rubbed on the spring perch and part of the spring. So I'm too low then huh? Is there any alternative? Would a 5 mm spacer work? The offset would still be in the "safe" range according to the nasioc offset thread (actually, even more so). It just seems that I'd have to actually raise the car quite significantly to actually clear it (maybe an inch or more), and it just doesn't seem THAT low to me right now. Granted, I know our cars aren't meant to be lowered much, but I feel my height right now isn't really pushing it.

I still have to play with it and I need to put my alk and roll center kit on before I get it aligned at andrewtech, but that's all relating to the front end so that doesn't really apply here. All I did was remove the top bolt on the hub and bring is all the way forward with full positive camber and then use my camber plates to go as negative as I can (Which was also a huge problem as there's not even enough clearance between the holes on the plates and the car itself to get the screws in full negative). In the end I managed to make it fit but my camber is all f'd up and it's actually a little positive still. I have to play with it more but I'm waiting for my cousin to let me go use his shop again.

If you buy that suspension from me maybe you can give it a looksy
Don't put the roll center kit on.
Tune in here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1604279

For the rear, you could possibly to go smaller helper springs, or remove the helper spring. RCE will have a shit-fit, but it'll allow you to fit wider tires.
Since I put the Cusco coils on the RSTi, my rear camber changed from -1.4 to -2.4...pulling on the wheel/hub only got me back up to -2.0...I still need camber bolts to get me back to -1.4. You probably need the same.

As for the screws in the camber plates, you can remove them, and place them in different holes... you should have a few different holes they can thread into depending on how much camber you want to get out of the plates...

Ok, sorry for another...

I have eibach pro's and stock struts on my 01 2.5. I am currently running 205's but need winter tires and all I can find are 225/50-60
Do you think these will rub? Im guessing because they are Pirelli snows that they will?

Any help here,
http://www.tirerack.com/

They have lots of tires in stock size.

Narrower tires are better for snow anyways.

And considering I could make 205's rub in the rear of my RS with eibach pro's, I don't think you should attempt 225s.

-- Dave

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Don't put the roll center kit on.
Tune in here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1604279

For the rear, you could possibly to go smaller helper springs, or remove the helper spring. RCE will have a shit-fit, but it'll allow you to fit wider tires.
Since I put the Cusco coils on the RSTi, my rear camber changed from -1.4 to -2.4...pulling on the wheel/hub only got me back up to -2.0...I still need camber bolts to get me back to -1.4. You probably need the same.

As for the screws in the camber plates, you can remove them, and place them in different holes... you should have a few different holes they can thread into depending on how much camber you want to get out of the plates...
Wow, I'm glad you pointed out that info on the roll center kit. It's funny that people are having problems because I've been hearing how much it benefits lowered imprezas.

As for the rubbing, I raise the car about a half inch and I think that should be enough, I'll have to wait till I get my new tires on before I can be sure though. Car is definitely sitting a lot higher than a lot of gc's I've seen but I'm not sure how low is "too low" to be beneficial. Obviously performance is my number one priority. I'll play with it a bit more once everything is set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
17 by 8 with an offset of +40 and im not sure on what tires, but what would you recomend size wise

everything is stock 04 first real change

the sale has to be completed by 1pm tomorrow

so any info is appreciated... im new to subbys so im not to sure so i figured the pros here will help:)

wheels links ( which would you pick) i think i might get the second link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-WHEELS-Audi-TT-Toyota-Celica-Corolla-Matrix-VW-rims_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43957QQihZ021QQitemZ310091693455QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...271879478&rd=1

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS STM
88 Posts
my 7.5 with 225's mounted barely fit. That and the fact that they are cheap-o no name wheels I would pass on these if I were you.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,231 Posts
I recently bought 17x8 wheels and I've found a good deal on a set of 215/50/17's. will these rub?
Offset?

-- Dave

·
Registered
1987 BMW 635CSi
121 Posts
I have Advans RCII 17x7 et 45 (?) with 225/45 tire on right know on stock suspension. I got like 1/2 in clearence near the rear strut (full stock suspension). I am gonna install P1 springs with Konis and I wonder what spacers (if any) I am gonna need to make sure it will not shred the tires

·
Registered
2002 Bh9
552 Posts
hey guys. Just thought id stop in and ask a question. I just bought a 95 impreza lx coupe and it has 15inch rims stock. i know nothing about rimss and i found a set of 17inch Mille Miglia 1000 rims with tires. Will these fit on my subie????

·
Registered
2001 GM6 Aspen White 5MT
120 Posts
Stock 01 RS suspension. Stock 01 RS wheels.

Just went from some crappy tire company of 225/16/50 (these tires came on the car so without looking on my doorsil and seeing i need 205....) I ordered kumho escta mx from tire rack.....225/16/50

Dear jesus do these things rub! What the hell.....my previous tires did not rub at all and now I go over just a little bump and both my struts bump HARD in the back, it sounds so bad. Even on mild to sharp curves (with no bumps) I get really bad rubbing in the back. After further inspection I realized that my tires are CONSTANTLY (metal is worn down on struts) rubbing on my struts!!! Ahhhh good thing I noticed this only after a couple days of driving with my new 225's.

So I bought eibach 5mm wheel spacers....these did not help at all I am still rubbing so bad I think my wheel or suspension is going to fall apart.

Someone suggested that kumho's are made wide, I can believe this but...how the heck are you guys not rubbing with 225?

Anyways, I am too poor right now to order another set of summer performance tires that are the correct size.......my only option now is to buy winter tires for my other set of wheels (17 inch wrx wheels). And put winter tires on asap before I do any more damage or cause danger on the road. I don't think I can run anything wider than 205 on this car.

Any comments or suggestions?
I AM GOING TO UPDATE SINCE I FOUND THE SUSPENSION NOISE PROBLEM.

Well the problem i listed above was not my 225/50/16 Kumho excta mx's rubbing on my strut during intense driving.

A few days ago I replaced my rear sway bar / bushings / endlinks.

THE NOISE IS GONE. I can only thing that something wasn't moving too smooth or a something was just messed up after 135k miles on stock parts.

Take care.

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
I just bought a set of 2004 BBS wheels with 235/45R17 on them the fronts fit snugly but the rear ones look and feel like they will rub. Any input on these? I have them installed but not sure if I will keep them on if they will rub.

61 - 80 of 315 Posts