Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is already lowered via coilovers, so would the ALK help improve handling?

if so how, and what else should i install to help handling.
rsb and endlinks are done.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
I put in the ALK, cusco cf rear strut bar and rear subframe brace w/06 sti diffuser, whiteline steering rack bushings, paranoid fabrications fender braces along with group n engine/tranny mounts/pitch link and new rotors/pads/SS lines/brake fluid. All while the engine was out of the car.

The only things I seem to notice are that it's louder with more vibrations (from the stiffer mounts) and that it brakes waaay better than before and it squeals the tires more on corners. None of which have anything to do with the new handling mods I put in lol.

Honestly, I can't seem to notice much difference in handling, but its been such a long time since I last drove the car before the engine was removed, that I wouldn't be able to remember what it actually felt like before. All I know is it feels a hell of a lot better than the beater I drove while the RS wasn't moving. After I go with the local subie club here on the annual cruise next month, I'll probably get a better idea of what's changed for the better or worse.

One thing I CAN recommend after this learning experience: DO NOT install a bunch of shit all at once. It turned out ok, but I have no idea what affected what, and if something didn't turn out so good, I'd have no idea what it was because I installed so much shit at the same time.

If you just wanna improve handling and feel on top of what you already have, I'd probably recommend the fender braces and steering rack bushings - those two I think I can feel working. Sort of. The ALK should be good but honestly I haven't driven the car hard enough yet to really feel the difference, though I've seen articles where they improved auto-x times significantly.

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
my car is already lowered via coilovers, so would the ALK help improve handling?
By "handling" do you mean cornering? Are you looking for more stability? More grip? More response? Be a bit more specific.

Also, it would help to know what an ALK does, and means...

Anti-Life Kit: "...is designed to add a 1.0 degree static caster to both front wheels. This reduces the front end of the car to rise under acceleration by changing the front control arm geometry. The stiffer urethane bushing will also maintain higher dynamic positive caster. This results in superior traction under acceleration including cornering, dramatically reducing understeer & front wheel spin."

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
I noticed a pretty nice improvement in cornering with my Whiteline sport ALK. Also a very noticeable decrease in nose dive when braking and nose up when accelerating.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
One thing I CAN recommend after this learning experience: DO NOT install a bunch of shit all at once. It turned out ok, but I have no idea what affected what, and if something didn't turn out so good, I'd have no idea what it was because I installed so much shit at the same time.
Huge +1. I made the same mistake because I got way too excited with parts. It took FOREVER to get the suspension sorted.

I never had an ALK because I didn't really understand what they did. Anyone want to explain again? The description was too technical for me. It changes the CA geometry?

·
AYVI Motorsports
White 98 Impreza/06WRX
440 Posts
I put in the ALK, cusco cf rear strut bar and rear subframe brace w/06 sti diffuser, whiteline steering rack bushings, paranoid fabrications fender braces along with group n engine/tranny mounts/pitch link and new rotors/pads/SS lines/brake fluid. All while the engine was out of the car.

The only things I seem to notice are that it's louder with more vibrations (from the stiffer mounts) and that it brakes waaay better than before and it squeals the tires more on corners. None of which have anything to do with the new handling mods I put in lol.

Honestly, I can't seem to notice much difference in handling, but its been such a long time since I last drove the car before the engine was removed, that I wouldn't be able to remember what it actually felt like before. All I know is it feels a hell of a lot better than the beater I drove while the RS wasn't moving. After I go with the local subie club here on the annual cruise next month, I'll probably get a better idea of what's changed for the better or worse.

If you just wanna improve handling and feel on top of what you already have, I'd probably recommend the fender braces and steering rack bushings - those two I think I can feel working. Sort of. The ALK should be good but honestly I haven't driven the car hard enough yet to really feel the difference, though I've seen articles where they improved auto-x times significantly.
If all you notice is better braking and more noise from all that you need to recalibrate your butt dyno ;)

Here: http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect of WL ALK_b.pdf is a long and technical explanation of the anti lift kit

I just skimmed it, but I think basically what happens is it effectively softens the front suspension with respect to the weight transfer front to rear of the car. This allows more weight to be transferred forward while braking reducing understeer via more grip in the front. This you feel going into corners.

Under power less weight is transferred to to rear. Since the front suspension is softer in a way when you accelerate weight is transferred to the rear but the "softer" front suspension allows the tires to contact the road better increasing front grip. This helps reduce understeer when coming out of corners.

Plus it adds a little caster which you can't really ever get enough of.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
By "handling" do you mean cornering? Are you looking for more stability? More grip? More response? Be a bit more specific.

Also, it would help to know what an ALK does, and means...

Anti-Life Kit: "...is designed to add a 1.0 degree static caster to both front wheels. This reduces the front end of the car to rise under acceleration by changing the front control arm geometry. The stiffer urethane bushing will also maintain higher dynamic positive caster. This results in superior traction under acceleration including cornering, dramatically reducing understeer & front wheel spin."

What's an Anti-Life Kit? :p

P.S. The increase in static caster is actually supposed to increase the amount the nose of the car lifts and dives. ALK is a regrettably poor name for what it does. It's unfortunate how long/far this misunderstanding has gone.

Whitelines own explanation
http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect of WL ALK_b.pdf

Think of the title "Anti-Lift Kit" this way.. It's a "Kit" that modifies the "Anti-Lift" characteristics of your car. The word "Anti" leads people (including me at one time) to believe that this Kit "reduces lift". This is not however correct.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

P.S. The increase in static caster is actually supposed to increase the amount the nose of the car lifts and dives. ALK is a regrettably poor name for what it does. It's unfortunate how long/far this misunderstanding has gone.

Think of the title "Anti-Lift Kit" this way.. It's a "Kit" that modifies the "Anti-Lift" characteristics of your car. The word "Anti" leads people (including me at one time) to believe that this Kit "reduces lift". This is not however correct.
technical speak aside, what does it really do?

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
It will change the way your car feels during cornering.

If your car is lowered, you need the whiteline ball joints to correct your now bump-steering suspension. The longer ball joints correct the angles of the suspension so when you hit a bump it doesn't affect the steering angle.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will change the way your car feels during cornering.

If your car is lowered, you need the whiteline ball joints to correct your now bump-steering suspension. The longer ball joints correct the angles of the suspension so when you hit a bump it doesn't affect the steering angle.
thanks

·
Registered
200, Subaru, , psm,
71 Posts
i installed mine seperately and noticed a huge!!!! reduction of understeer

·
AYVI Motorsports
White 98 Impreza/06WRX
440 Posts

Its not the additional caster that has the most effect, there are other ways of getting more caster that will not reproduce the effects. It Lowers the rear control arm mount to adjust the anti lift characteristics of the suspension.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just reread that link.
that must have been written by the most boring person on the planet.

·
Registered
01 Legacy GTL
729 Posts
lol.. the perrin one yeilds a 2* caster increase... and i dont know about the whiteline one. anyone know what the whiteline on yeilds?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts