Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gives? Will any JDM engine fit in my USDM chassis? From information I have recieve the answer is no.....but other, whom I suspect are not Subaru expert say that it will bolt right in.

I think this is a viewpoint of someone with Honda experience and little or no experience with Subarus.

What beefier manual transmissions will fit my 01 RS?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
any GC tranny will fit. it might require a new x-member. the older engines should fit as well. it will require some work to get everything to hook up right of course.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So anything out of a GC will fit? So a newer, 2001 JDM or newer will not?

I think that is where you are going.

Is it easier to modify my stock tranny for more power or should I just plan a swap when mine goes.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Any EJ series motor will fit, any GC tranny will fit... GD tranny will fit but requires massaging (not worth it). The WRX tranny is not really any stronger than the RS tranny (in fact, I know both can hold insane amounts of power IF you drive them responsibly). If you're looking to do a complete front clip, go for a matched set preferably off an older (ver1-3) WRX. If you're just looking to do a swap, just get a USDM EJ20. Either way, you're looking at a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be better to just turbo or sc my RS and install a better clutch and flywheel? Seems as broad as it is long.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
yeah, for the cost of even a USDM WRX swap, you could have a really nice turbo setup for the ej25 and some money in the bank for a new tranny should you need one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would you advise trying to put a kit together myself or just purchase a kit? I have already collected a few parts including a Mitsubishi TE04H turbo that is basically a core, and a WRX intercooler.

No big deal if I can't use any of it.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way to a nice setup. The WRX intercooler needs to be trimmed to fit (it WILL fit, I know, I'm using one) and you'll need the up pipe and down pipe flanges matched to the TE04. Up pipe and Down pipe should be within the scope of any muffler shop or you could talk to Subachad about getting a custom set made once he's back up and running in Cali. Check out my threads on this board and NASIOC to see what I did, all custom right around $1200 total.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy,

What turbo are you using? Did you have to gut the cruise control to fit everything in? Engine management? Where are the details on your system, what is NASIOC? I am sure it is a acronym for North American .............

How much power do you figure you are producing? Any problems? Etc, etc?

I am a certified welder so I don't think it will be a problem throwing together a up and down pipe.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I'm using a RHB5 from a Subaru Loyale, stock internal wastegate (4 psi), WRX I/C and BOV, GReddy E-Manage for fuel/timing control, NGK 7's (1 heat range colder), WRX fuel pump. The only problems I've had are:

1. Pinhole leak in intake tube, fixed
2. plug gap needed to be reduced (I kept my N/A gapped plugs in just to get the car running, problem solved when plugs swapped)
3. MY DAMN CLUTCH WONT HOLD ANY POWER <-- sorry for yelling but my clutch was barely hanging on before the install and I hoped I'd take some boost but now its slipping in every gear. It help up fine while I was N/A (160 lb-ft at the wheels) but at 4psi I'm probably making near 200 lb-ft and that's just way beyond the stock clutch's abilities.

Tuning has gone well, my EGTs are crazy low so I know fuel isn't a problem even though I'm NOT using a RRFPR... problem is I can't really tune full boost WOT cause the clutch just slips:rolleyes: .

Oh, and NASIOC is the new name for the original i-club (http://www.nasioc.com/forums

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy,

Sounds like a good setup. Do you know what I should expect to pay for a good RHB5?, or at least a rebuild kit? I have been told that the Mitsubishi TE04H that I have is too small, but I planned on it being small for quick spool up.

What about your cruise control? What did you have to get out of the way to make room for the turbo? What did you have to invest in the Greddy E-manage, etc? Exhaust?

I was planning on purchasing a slightly used WRX exhaust and making the necessary changes.

NASIOC is down!

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Rallynut,

I paid $100 shipped to my door for my RHB5 and didn't rebuild it (everything looked to be in excellent shape, and so far so good). I moved my CC module to the passenger side fender area in front of the ABS module, rerouted the vac line and elec connections and I'll be damned but the WRX I/C BOV elbow sits right where the CC throttle needs to be. I'm working on a fix but as of right now, no cruise. As for the E-Manage, I paid $250 shipped for the main unit, add. injection harness, ignition harness, software and cable. I haven't had a chance to dyno tune it yet and will be running pig rich until I get my clutch fixed and able to hold the power.

·
Registered
192 Posts
maybee you can answer a question that noone else has been able to; i am swapping a 91 legacy turbo shortblock into my 98 2.5rs and turboing, i am getting the complete engine but not using it all, what all would i need to get it running right and how would i go about passing an e-check? im in ohio and they are changing to the obd2 check where they check the on board computer.
if you can help thanks

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
FYI & FWIW:
I have seen the CC assy. relocated to inside the passenger fender, right above the ABS motor. It fits inside one of the air inlet holes, and the cable ties right into the TB very nicely. Perfect length it seems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts