Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
outback sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to buy a clutch for my forester and remembered that I have a brand new clutch lying around from when I had my 99 obs. Trying to save money so I'm hoping they will work. I know the clutch on the obs used a cable to engage and what now, being that my forester is hydro had me scratching my head lol.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It will bolt up, from the factory the ej25s had a stiffer pressure plate than ej22s did, but I don't see it making much difference in a dd

·
Registered
outback sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am torn between buying a actual 2.5 clutch set or just using this one lol i just daily the car and occasionally mess around in the mud/dirt......i just don't want to go threw the hassle of installing this clutch and have it go out with in the year.
what do you guys think ?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
If you want to be cheap, just use what you got. The clutches tend to be designed well over what is required. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same as the 2.5L one anyways.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
The 99 ej22 pressure plate has a different part number than the ej25 pressure plate - my assumption is it is rated to hold a little less torque than the ej25.

Funny thing is the 01 ej22 pressure plate is the same part number as an ej25 - not sure if Subaru was upgrading the part or just streamlining their parts supply, but if you have an ej22 I'd recommend getting an ej25 or 01 ej22 clutch when you are buying your parts.

I was able to run up to 7 psi on the stock ej25 clutch on my EJ222, a little more boost would not allow for spirited launches, but that was remedied with a disc upgrade.

If you plan on driving like a normal person the ej22 clutch should be fine on a ej25.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the part number change was just Subaru upgrading to new parts. Subaru so likes to use the same parts. Hell I can use an old RS MAF on my UK spec Impreza Turbo. Australians like to buy the US RS MAF for their own WRX/STIs, since it's 1/4 the price of the Australian MAFs. The part numbers are only 2 digits off.

I'd just use the EJ22. Maybe try a few hard launches, just to see how it does. Aside from that, just drive normally.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
if it fits use it. i used the same clutch/fly/PP on both my 2.2 and my 25D. no issues whatsoever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts